SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Current crop of subsims & naval games > Wolfpack
Forget password? Reset here

Old 02-24-20, 04:06 PM   #1
Steeemer
Nub

Downloads: 3
Uploads: 0
Support Help with target identification

I have already read the guide and I understand the principles of entering data in each category to narrow down the list of possible choices.

I seem to struggle with some of the more subjective determinations such as island locations and split vs composite. This could also be due to limited visibility. In any event, I seem to be awful at identifying ships.

I am looking for any helpful suggestions.

Alternatively, do you have suggestions on other ways for determining distance.

Thank you in advance.

Steeemer
Steeemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-20, 07:30 AM   #2
Fidd
XO

Downloads: 10
Uploads: 0

"Split" v "Composite" can be difficult to determine, especially if the AOB is fine, and the secondary is near the primary superstructure. Masts in turn are somewhat range-dependant, ie can be hard to use as identification at great range. With practice, you'll find yourself recognising the most appropriate features, to use for any particular range/light level/AOB combination.

There's no "magic-bullet" or single rule that "solves this", it comes with lots of practice. If you play multiplayer, then ask the captain for practice in IDing ships, so you can ID the ship, ask him to "confirm the ship MMF at bearing xyz" and them see if you agree. With practice you'll find the quickest and most accurate indicators.
Fidd is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
identification