SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > Sub & Naval Discussions: World Naval News, Books, & Films
Forget password? Reset here

Old 06-26-15, 04:04 PM   #16
Trool323
Sparky

Downloads: 25
Uploads: 0

@Neal I agree. I would love to see a movie about the Wahoo and Richard O'Kane. As for das boot, I don't know what else they could do except make the convoy attack and the depth charge scenes look better perhaps.

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=158704
Trool323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-15, 04:33 PM   #17
vienna
Navy Seal

Downloads: 85

A film about the Wahoo would be a bit problematic given the incident about the machine-gunning of survivors during one of the Wahoo's missions. There is still a lot of controversy over the whole incident and it appears some, if not all, of the victims may have been Allied POWs. It was that incident that is reputed to have led to the Allies, at US instigation, to not prosecute Doenitz or other U-boat personnel for war crimes for alleged similar incidents during WWII. The US was keenly aware defense counsel for the accused German defendants would bring up the Wahoo incident at trial, something the US was not very interested in being debated in a public international forum...

<O>
Old 06-26-15, 05:56 PM   #18
bstanko6
Admiral

Downloads: 390
Uploads: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmccabe01 View Post
Anyone here honestly think the long times between action (film 6hrs long of what really happened) would suit to days audience ?
They want an action packed blockbuster (loads of $$$) and not a story to remember all those brave men on both sides that fought in the Atlantic.
I say make a new sub movie and leave Das Boot alone, don't mess with an Epic
I agree with you, about attention span, but this kind of genre has not been introduced in few years. It was the hunt for red October that made me join the U.S. Navy! So maybe the kids today will like it!

DISCORD
https://discord.gg/6tFeTSUmVc
bstanko6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-15, 06:16 PM   #19
Kptlt. Neuerburg
Admiral

Downloads: 54

Honestly I don't really see the point of remaking a great film like Das Boot, there's plenty of other war stories that could and should be made in movies (so long as the director isn't Michael Bay!), the only way I could see a remake of Das Boot having any sort of success would be for it to be a Hollywood style action flick. I also agree with what gmccabe01 said, aside from us sub lovers and people who like anything to deal with WW2 history, the average movie goer wouldn't sit around for six or so hours watching a bunch of guys sweating it out hoping that the next depth charge will be the last thing they ever hear.
Old 06-26-15, 08:27 PM   #20
Subnuts
The Old Man

Downloads: 14

Eh, maybe the remake will be more Midge-friendly.

Subnuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-15, 08:29 PM   #21
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

Didn't think of that!
Old 06-26-15, 10:24 PM   #22
TorpX
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 153
Uploads: 11

Yeah.
TorpX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-15, 06:08 PM   #23
Theta Sigma
Seabed Comber

Downloads: 99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subnuts View Post
I don't really see the point of a remake. Except for ...a couple points where the music is a little too synth-heavy...
Truly.

I'd much rather have a new edition of Das Boot rescored versus a new film.

That said, I don't want to hold back any development of a new film about subs. Better too many, even a few bad ones, since the odds are a couple will be good.
Old 06-27-15, 06:18 PM   #24
Theta Sigma
Seabed Comber

Downloads: 99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kptlt. Hellmut Neuerburg View Post
Honestly I don't really see the point of remaking a great film like Das Boot, there's plenty of other war stories that could and should be made in movies (so long as the director isn't Michael Bay!)
You know...and I'm pausing here to really reflect on what I'm about to say...The Last Ship isn't that bad, and I used to equate Bay to Uwe Boll. Provided the reins were tight, he might be actually help to bring a modern (not classic, don't think he's right for that genre) sub film to light.

Then again, I'm not sure where they are taking The Last Ship now, since they kinda blew through most of the novel in season one.

Last edited by Theta Sigma; 06-27-15 at 06:45 PM.
Theta Sigma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-15, 07:18 PM   #25
CCIP
Navy Seal

Downloads: 29
Uploads: 2

I'm with Steve on this one - there is certainly actual room for good content in the remake, considering the gaps between the source novel and the film version. Buchheim himself voiced criticism of the film originally, especially what he felt like the more glorified and spectacular elements of it.

The problem of course is that I'm not sure any new movie would actually head away from (rather than towards) those spectacular elements, and then there's of course the shadow left by Das Boot itself - IMO the script of the film might've been different or better, but it's going to be very very hard to do better than the interior camera work and acting in that movie. In those two things, that movie holds as well today as it did 30 years ago. Both of those are not something that today's technology can make better in any meaningful way, and especially if you take Prochnow's performance as Der Alte - that is a hugely intimidating role to live up to.

You could compare this, of course, to something like Stanislaw Lem's novel "Solaris" and its best-known adaptations. Tarkovsky's 1972 adaptation, which was openly disliked by Lem himself (much like Buchheim who did not like Das Boot the film), is widely lauded as a cinema classic and a landmark art film. Soderbergh's 2002 adaptation, starring George Clooney, is technically closer to the content and spirit of Lem's novel - and very competently made - but it ended up totally forgettable, and never got out of the shadow its predecessor. And that's even though it never tried to copy its predecessor, treated source material with respect, and didn't have to deal with any of the technical (not to mention political) limitations that Tarkovsky had to work with. So make of that what you will.

I really suspect that even a well-meant and competent remake of Das Boot will end up just like that.

PS - also, Das Boot was by far the best of Wolfgang Petersen's films, and as a director his Hollywood output has been... underwhelming. In truth, everything he's made since Das Boot has been pure Hollywood cheese (even if it's sometimes fun cheese, as in the case of Air Force One). Even if he is attached to a Das Boot remake, that won't be much reason to celebrate - actually, that'll just make me worry more.

There are only forty people in the world and five of them are hamburgers.
-Don Van Vliet
(aka Captain Beefheart)

Last edited by CCIP; 06-27-15 at 07:23 PM.
CCIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-15, 11:30 AM   #26
gmccabe01
Seaman

Downloads: 207

How about a film of the H.M.S. Safari P211.
They could read the book Crash Dive by Arthur P. Dickison.
The view from the ranks instead of an officers for a change
gmccabe01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-15, 11:56 AM   #27
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Default Welcome back

gmccabe01!
Quote:
I say make a new sub movie and leave Das Boot alone, don't mess with an Epic
Amazing what brings a kaleun back to the surface after a two year silent run!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-15, 05:36 AM   #28
JU_88
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 10

Yeah agree with Cybermat, worse case it will be a movie to just not watch,

My only doubts lie with special effects, these days many film producers are keen to show them off and make them a selling point. But the beauty of Das Boot was that 90% of the film is being stuck in side a sub with not much going on. so you get that feeling of claustrophobia, boredom etc. So that kind of worked well with limiting the crappy special effects from the 80's.
But we will see....
JU_88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-15, 05:41 AM   #29
Dowly
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 32

I dont see any reason why it needs to be remade.
Dowly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-15, 08:04 AM   #30
BigBANGtheory
Officer

Downloads: 98

The TV mini series of Das Boot is over 5hrs, the film version its painfully obvious that its runtime has been cut. The whole screenplay hangs together very well I'm not sure you can rush the story or cram it into 2hrs.

Good example was in 2010 when they tried to remake Edge of Darkness from the classic 80's TV mini series. One gets close to highest IMDB ratings of all time whilst the other just adds nothing, it didn't work.

If they are going to do it with Das Boot they somehow need to make the viewer feel part of the crew faster, probably have to ditch the La Rochelle scenes and have you start out on patrol braving the Atlantic weather.
BigBANGtheory is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2018, das boot, remake, typ viic