Click here to access the Helosim website
SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

BUYING GAMES, BOOKS, ELECTRONICS, and STUFF
THROUGH THIS LINK SUPPORTS SUBSIM, THANKS!

The Web's #1 BBS for all submarine and naval simulations!

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > Helosim.com and Flight Sims

Old 07-26-08, 02:13 AM   #1
Effigy
Gunner

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
IL-2

Possibly going to get IL-2 from direct 2 drive soon, but there are three choices and I'm not sure what to do. Saw in another thread here people saying only get 1946 though. Could someone explain why? It says in the description: This new opus also includes all of the previous Il-2 series content. Though in one of the titles it says it contained everything from the previous version sans some maps/campaign related stuff. Would it be a waste of money to buy the previous title just for the omitted stuff? Or was it good content? Good enough to spend extra money on just to see it?

Also, the title throws me off. 1946... :hmm: I see by the description this has some kind of a hypothetical war scenario where WWII keeps on going into the undecided, lol. Is this the only point in which you play the game. e.g. from 1946 onwards? Or with the 1946 version of IL-2, can I still play during the earlier and historically accurate point of WWII?

I think the hypothetical scenario is interesting and probably fun to play, but I am a sucker for playing historically too. So hopefully there's a choice, and I can play during the actual WWII timeframe?

Any help/insight/advice would be very much appreciated so I can make a decision on what to buy. Thanks!
Effigy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-08, 04:52 AM   #2
HunterICX
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 8

Hi Effigy,

IL2:1946 is the one to get,
as it like said all the previous content of IL2 and does all in just 1 installation instead of patching the game up from IL2:FB to IL2 1946 with all the discs (IL2:FB - Aces expansion - Pacific fighters etc etc).
also IL2 has the widest variaty of areas to fight in (afrika, pacific , western, eastern)

the 1946 pack contains the aircraft that never flown before (IE Heinkel Lerche, TA-183) and has ''what if'' campaigns...thats the drawback of this game you get aircraft that never saw action.
but if you want to fly online and have the latest Patch (4.08m) you'll need to get 1946 anyway.

About campaigns, the STOCK IL2 campaigns are famous of beeing utterly boring, and yet nothing to worry about there is a Application you can download called DCG campaign generator for IL2.
this spices up your campaign, you can start with a Grand luftwaffe campaign starting in Poland 1939 and it automaticly follows to the invasion of france and battle of britain if you complete the main objective of each map.

HunterICX
Old 07-26-08, 05:04 AM   #3
Schroeder
Navy Seal

Downloads: 62

There are also plenty of handmade missions and campaigns that can be downloaded at www.mission4today.com and other sites.
I still think that handmade missions are way better than most of the stuff the campaigngenerators can put together.
Schroeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-08, 05:18 AM   #4
Effigy
Gunner

Cheers, HunterICX and Schroeder! I definitely want to be able to go online with this so after everything said, I'll definitely grab '46 and leave it at that. Glad to hear I can still rewind the clock to earlier on in the actual war. And from what both of you are saying, there's multiple ways and resources for adding campaigns and mission. Sounds awesome, and I'm looking forward to trying this.
Old 07-26-08, 12:56 PM   #5
Raptor1
Navy Seal

Downloads: 13

I wouldn't have any problems with the 1946 aircraft and campaign if they just hadn't skimped on important aircraft in order to put in stuff like the Ta 183 and the Lerche (I still don't understand why we don't have the Gloster Meteor and the de Havilland Vampire)
Old 07-28-08, 11:37 AM   #6
Effigy
Gunner

I did end up buying and downloading this, thanks! Have only stepped in the cockpit for a single quick mission, just to see how things were, and it was pretty cool. I liked the radio chatter -- reminded me a bit of Falcon 4.0, with that "live" feeling to the radio, and how I had control over sending different kinds of messages.

Now I have to configure my saitek, and read the manual a little bit more before I prep for the next flight. So far so good, and I'm happy with the purchase.
Old 07-28-08, 12:27 PM   #7
HunterICX
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 8

Glad you like it .

HunterICX
Old 07-28-08, 01:44 PM   #8
Fincuan
Admiral

Downloads: 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Effigy
I liked the radio chatter -- reminded me a bit of Falcon 4.0, with that "live" feeling to the radio, and how I had control over sending different kinds of messages.
Just wait till you get to listen a squadron of AI planes trying to land. LMAO

Pilot 1: "this is one, requesting for landing"
Pilot 2: "this is two, requesting for landing"
etc...

Schultz: "Number one, you are cleared for landing"
"Nummer zwei, nicht landen! Ich wiederhole, nicht landen!"
"Nummer drei, nicht landen! Ich wiederhole, nicht landen!"
etc...

Pilot 2: "This is two, on the go-around"
Pilot 3: "this is three, on the go-around"
etc...

And on and on it goes until they either land, crash trying to or run out of fuel and crash, and all the time Schultz keeps screaming "NICHT LANDEN!"
Fincuan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-08, 01:49 PM   #9
Raptor1
Navy Seal

Downloads: 13

Well, as long as he doesn't come anywhere near our airfield he should be fine...
Old 07-28-08, 01:51 PM   #10
Dowly
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fincuan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Effigy
I liked the radio chatter -- reminded me a bit of Falcon 4.0, with that "live" feeling to the radio, and how I had control over sending different kinds of messages.
Just wait till you get to listen a squadron of AI planes trying to land. LMAO

Pilot 1: "this is one, requesting for landing"
Pilot 2: "this is two, requesting for landing"
etc...

Schultz: "Number one, you are cleared for landing"
"Nummer zwei, nicht landen! Ich wiederhole, nicht landen!"
"Nummer drei, nicht landen! Ich wiederhole, nicht landen!"
etc...

Pilot 2: "This is two, on the go-around"
Pilot 3: "this is three, on the go-around"
etc...

And on and on it goes until they either land, crash trying to or run out of fuel and crash, and all the time Schultz keeps screaming "NICHT LANDEN!"
Lol, so true. :p
Dowly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-08, 03:19 PM   #11
Effigy
Gunner

:rotfl:You guys weren't exaggerating. That was insane. I broke my prop landing because I was in such a hurry (the hectic chatter finally driving me insane) to put down on the deck and exit that mission ASAP, LOL. On to another test mission, I hop in a stuka, and am really excited to see that when I hop into other gunner positions, the AI takes over. IE: I can play gunner and let the AI fly, or I assume vice versa. When I'm flying the gunners will shoot? Too freaking cool! Oh, and the chatter during that mission was pretty wild as well once we approached the target. ACTUNG, ACTUNG, fighter's 11oclock low! Haha.

I see there's an option to tone down (or turn off) the chatter? I might have to use it, lol. I actually don't mind the audio to a degree, but the text spam on the screen kind of ruins the view imo. I'm sure I can turn that off too, hehe.

Think I'm gonna like this sim.