SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 01-19-21, 08:26 AM   #1
meijse3
Watch

Downloads: 23
Uploads: 0
Default New Steam Install Query

Hey. Sorry if this is a silly novice question, but I read everywhere about using LAA and various other things, and tweaking compatibility mode etc in order to get SH4 running on Win 10. But I just bought and downloaded 1.5 (with Uboat missions DLC) from Steam and it 'seems' to work straight off in 2560x1440 (and, moreover, I certainly think it looks surprisingly beautiful enough to try for a bit without mods). So do I NEED to do anything like run LAA on the present Steam release, or will I only need to do such things once I start modding it? Any help appreciated here. Many thanks.

Oh. And is the very latest and 'most preferred' mod the FotRS mod? Cheers.
meijse3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-21, 10:55 AM   #2
Macgregor the Hammer
Chief

Downloads: 534
Uploads: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by meijse3 View Post
Hey. Sorry if this is a silly novice question, but I read everywhere about using LAA and various other things, and tweaking compatibility mode etc in order to get SH4 running on Win 10. But I just bought and downloaded 1.5 (with Uboat missions DLC) from Steam and it 'seems' to work straight off in 2560x1440 (and, moreover, I certainly think it looks surprisingly beautiful enough to try for a bit without mods). So do I NEED to do anything like run LAA on the present Steam release, or will I only need to do such things once I start modding it? Any help appreciated here. Many thanks.

Hey shipmate:

IMHO, you should run LAA even if your going to run SH4 stock. Somewhere down the line, you'll want to add a mod or megamod and you'll be pulling your hair out trying to figure out why it won't run, like I did! All LAA does is enable the executable to run as a 64 bit and doesn't hurt anything. It's part of my installation routine.

No dumb questions here brother! Just good game play!

MacG
Old 01-19-21, 10:59 AM   #3
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Default welcome aboard!

meijse3!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is online   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-21, 11:16 AM   #4
Mad Mardigan
Admiral

Downloads: 491

SHO

Quote:
Originally Posted by meijse3 View Post

Ahoy, meijse...

As is, Win 10 only allots about 2 GB of your RAM to run it... LAA assigns the SH4.exe to utilize 4 GB instead, which is indeed helpful to do... LAA is relatively simple to use, 3 step process,

1. Point at where you have SH4 installed.

2. check the box to assign the .exe 4 GB (which iirc, it auto does that, though.. every so often it may miss doing so... rare, but it can happen..)

3. Click the accept & done...

Ez peasy, mac & cheezy... couldn't be simpler...

As for FotRS-U-EN, the latest version is 1.39, & is strongly suggested at this time to NOT run any other add on mods to it, other than Nippon Maru with it... & yes, it is... for those that wish to run with being a U.S. skipper during WW2.... which I have that, as well as a 2nd copy of SH4 modded out with Operation Monsun: Dark Waters... which is the Uboat side of things with SH4.

Hope this info helps...

M. M.

Old 01-19-21, 11:27 AM   #5
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

Which folder did you install to meijse3? The "default" with a Steam game is the Steam Library folder, which would be "C:\Program Files (x86) \Steam \SteamApps \common \Silent Hunter Wolves of the Pacific". That location is fine for the Stock game, but will prevent modding of the game due to Windows "security" features. If that is where you have the game, you will have to "move" it. If Silent Hunter is the only game you have, you can un-install and then re-install to a different folder. If you have another valid hard drive available that is NOT a system restore partition, you could put a 2nd Steam Library on that, and install SH4 there. Consult Moving a Steam Installation and Games on the Steam Support site. I have my Steam games in "C:\Games \Steam \SteamApps \common..." which I created during the Steam install by editing the install path.

btw: "Welcome to SubSim!"

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-21, 11:50 AM   #6
Mad Mardigan
Admiral

Downloads: 491

SHO

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
Which folder did you install to meijse3? The "default" with a Steam game is the Steam Library folder, which would be "C:\Program Files (x86) \Steam \SteamApps \common \Silent Hunter Wolves of the Pacific". That location is fine for the Stock game, but will prevent modding of the game due to Windows "security" features. If that is where you have the game, you will have to "move" it. If Silent Hunter is the only game you have, you can un-install and then re-install to a different folder. If you have another valid hard drive available that is NOT a system restore partition, you could put a 2nd Steam Library on that, and install SH4 there. Consult Moving a Steam Installation and Games on the Steam Support site. I have my Steam games in "C:\Games \Steam \SteamApps \common..." which I created during the Steam install by editing the install path.

btw: "Welcome to SubSim!"
What propbeanie said +1

To add to that, in the \common folder, leave your 'initial' install of SH4 stay unmodded, let that copy serve as your 'pristine' virgin copy.

You can create a new folder (inside \common) & name it to the mod you are going to use... as in FotRSU, for example, so it reads as follows:

"C:\Games \Steam \SteamApps \common\FotRSU..."

Then it is a simple matter of copying the guts from your virgin copy & paste them into that newly created folder as outlined above. This NOW becomes your safe SH4 game to mod with FotRSU.

ensure you place into this folder JSGME, as well as MultiSH4.

Run them 1st in this order... :

Step 1. JSGME (upon running this, it will then create a folder in the SH4 you are modding, leave the name be & just click accept. Then add in the ''MODS" folder, the mod/s FoTRSU v1.39 (& if you wish to, the Nippon Maru add on, as well). Activate the mods, & close out JSGME.

Step 2. MultiSH4... upon running this, it will have assigned to name the saves folder as SH4... change it to FRS (short for FotRSU), RSU (see FSR) or RSN (for FotRSU+ the Nippon Maru, if you choose to add that to the mix.

Step 3. LAA... does not need to be in the SH4 folder to work, so can be installed any where, to the best of My knowledge... where I have it installed, it works just fine... this step, needs being done last... just run it as outlined above in My 1st post reply...

That's it... hope this info, as well as propbeanies helps...

Fair winds, smooth seas & good huntin'...

M. M.

Old 01-19-21, 11:52 AM   #7
meijse3
Watch

Downloads: 23
Default Thanks

Thanks all. And thanks for the welcome.

I'm installed in a steam folder in a separate SSD to the system, so no worries there. I've already given in and modded it with Rising Sun. Applied LAA beforehand. Looks lovely. Seems to work good. Forgot to add the Nipon maru mod. Will do that, though I've no idea what it does. I've no idea what any of these mods do in detail, and I must say I was very pleasantly surprised by how cool the vanilla game looked in 2560x1440.

Thanks for the help. Very much appreciated. I'll do the training missions now. No doubt I'll be back....
meijse3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-21, 12:17 PM   #8
propbeanie

Nippon Maru takes the "standard" Recognition Manual, and adds the "Maru" designation to most of the Japanese merchant fleet, as well as some of the IJA (Imperial Japanese Army) vessels. "Yes, the IJA had a 'navy' of sorts." If folks think the US or UK military had rivalries between branches, it was / is nothing compared to the IJA versus IJN back then...

http://archive.hnsa.org/doc/id/oni20...hips/index.htm

... as an example of the naming convention. Note that Nippon Maru is representative, not historical, as that would be next to impossible with the game.

Old 01-19-21, 01:54 PM   #9
mikesn9
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 68

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
Nippon Maru takes the "standard" Recognition Manual, and adds the "Maru" designation to most of the Japanese merchant fleet, as well as some of the IJA (Imperial Japanese Army) vessels. "Yes, the IJA had a 'navy' of sorts." If folks think the US or UK military had rivalries between branches, it was / is nothing compared to the IJA versus IJN back then...

http://archive.hnsa.org/doc/id/oni20...hips/index.htm

... as an example of the naming convention. Note that Nippon Maru is representative, not historical, as that would be next to impossible with the game.

HMM, so this changes the entire recognition manual? Adds more ships?

I took a peek at the link, there are many many more ships.

I spent the cold war under water.
mikesn9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-21, 02:27 PM   #10
propbeanie

Yes, more ships, mostly from cloning existing ones, but with some cosmetic changes, depending upon the ship. s7rikeback has some good documentation on the changes he made in his Nippon Maru thread, and in the documentation with his mod. While it was initially thought that the US would not have had "Maru" in their RecMan, they did indeed use the designation for the known ship types.