SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH5 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 05-19-19, 01:19 PM   #301
gap
Navy Seal

Downloads: 793
Uploads: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by kapuhy View Post
Hi Vecko,

I've noticed a possible glitch:

This should be easily reproduced in Museum, just by waiting for plane to start turning. It looks like game treats entire tail section as rudder.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vdr1981 View Post
Thanks kapuhy. I observed the same before. Not sure can it be fixed though...
Quote:
I'm currently trying to import a SH3 plane into SH5 and have the exact same problem with its tail, so if I find a solution I'll let you know.
I might have a look into it. I think I know what's going on and how to fix it, but the fix might require exporting aircraft meshes and re-importing them in another GR2 file.
gap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-19, 01:38 PM   #302
kapuhy
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 72
Uploads: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by gap View Post
I might have a look into it. I think I know what's going on and how to fix it, but the fix might require exporting aircraft meshes and re-importing them in another GR2 file.
Actually, these are .dat models. This glitch is a common occurence when attempting to use unchanged .dat model from SH3 in SH5, but I still don't know which part of dat model would have to be modified (and how) to fix it. Unless you mean that the fix involves transferring model from .dat to .gr2 format?
kapuhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-19, 03:23 PM   #303
gap
Navy Seal

Quote:
Actually, these are .dat models. This glitch is a common occurence when attempting to use unchanged .dat model from SH3 in SH5, but I still don't know which part of dat model would have to be modified (and how) to fix it. Unless you mean that the fix involves transferring model from .dat to .gr2 format?
No, I will try to explain here and actually the fix is easier for dat units than it is for gr2 ones.

The unit_Airplane (in the sim file of each aircraft) has a unit_Ship\Rudders field where the name of the rudder mesh (in the 3D model) must be specified. If you open one of the stock SH5 aircraft in Goblin Editor or in TDW's GR2 Editor, you will notice that its rudder is separated from the rest of the tail section; that means that when the aircraft turns the rudder (and only the rudder) turns too.
I think that SHIII didn't have this "turning rudder" feature, so some of the aicraft made for the latter game had their rudder combined with the rest of the tail section, and the name of the tail section specified in the 'rudder' field of the corresponding unit_Airplane controller. That makes the whole tail, not only the rudder, to turn around its center when the aircraft is turning.
If my diagnosis is correct, there are two possible fixes:
  • the easiest one is simply leaving the 'rudder' field blank. That will lead to loss of feature at best (the aicraft will keep turning normally even though its rudder is destroyed) and to a game crash in the worst case (the came is trying to check if the aircraft ha its rudder in place, and it can't find essential information on the name of the said part);

• the longest but best fix is separating the rudder from the tail section and importing it in the dat/gr2 file as a different mesh with its one name which must be used in the 'rudder' field instead of aircraft tail's name.

If you are importing the aircraft as a dat unit, the latter method is not that complicated actually. The one thing that you must be careful with, is rudder's vertex coordinates in the 3D space, as they will dictate its pivot point in game. To do that, you must move the rudder in Blender or Wings3D so that the edge that gets hinged to the vertical stabilizer has the Z coordinates of its vertices as close as possible to 0. Doing that will misplace the rudder once it is imported again in the dat file. In order to put it in its right place again, you must offset its node by an amount of units equal to the offset you applied to the part in your 3D editing program. I hope I have been clear, otherwise don't hesitate asking for further clarification
Old 05-20-19, 04:14 PM   #304
kapuhy
Grey Wolf

Thanks for a very detailed explanation!

And yes, your diagnosis is correct. As for fixing, I tried leaving "rudder" field blank and it's a no go unfortunately - the aircraft will refuse to make any maneuvers except flying along assigned waypoints - no attacks, no altitude changes. This leaves the second method.
Old 05-20-19, 05:09 PM   #305
gap
Navy Seal

Quote:
Thanks for a very detailed explanation!
My pleasure

Quote:
And yes, your diagnosis is correct. As for fixing, I tried leaving "rudder" field blank and it's a no go unfortunately - the aircraft will refuse to make any maneuvers except flying along assigned waypoints - no attacks, no altitude changes. This leaves the second method.
Yep, I mentioned it for completeness, but I knew that the first method was too simple not to come with many undesired side effects.

Hopefully applying a proper fix won't be too complicated
Old 05-22-19, 04:21 PM   #306
kapuhy
Grey Wolf

Hmm... it might be more complicated than I thought.

So, I took Me 262 tail 3D model, separated rudder in Blender, and specified the new, separated rudder model in unit_Ship\Rudders field. The result...

Not exactly what I hoped for. I double-checked if I didn't forget to save changes to sim file, but no - it shows the rudder, not the tail model.

Maybe merging actual tail with rest of the hull (as part of MainFrame model) and leaving only rudder as "tail" part will do the trick...

Last edited by kapuhy; 05-26-19 at 04:53 AM.
Old 05-22-19, 09:32 PM   #307
gap
Navy Seal

Quote:
Hmm... it might be more complicated than I thought.

So, I took Me 262 tail 3D model, separated rudder in Blender, and specified the new, separated rudder model in unit_Ship\Rudders field. The result...

Not exactly what I hoped for. I double-checked if I didn't forget to save changes to sim file, but no - it shows the rudder, not the tail model.

Maybe merging actual tail with rest of the hull (as part of MainFrame model) and leaving only rudder as "tail" part will do the trick...
Have you replaced (in the 'rudder' field of the unit_Airplane controller) the name of the tail section with the name of the newly separated rudder? From the picture it seems you have not. Note that the rudder should be given a different name than the rest of the tail, and its node should be a child node of the tail node

Last edited by gap; 05-22-19 at 11:28 PM.
Old 05-23-19, 01:38 AM   #308
kapuhy
Grey Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by gap View Post
Have you replaced (in the 'rudder' field of the unit_Airplane controller) the name of the tail section with the name of the newly separated rudder? From the picture it seems you have not. Note that the rudder should be given a different name than the rest of the tail, and its node should be a child node of the tail node
EDIT: (removed misleading info after finding my error): Tail works just as Gap was saying, only I didn't know how to save changes in sim file properly it seems... so anyone trying to fix similar issue, follow Gap's advice above.

Last edited by kapuhy; 05-26-19 at 04:52 AM.
Old 05-24-19, 08:12 AM   #309
gap
Navy Seal

I don't know why merging the tail section with the rest of the aircraft fuselage should have fixed your problem. To the best of my knowledge, the only thing that matters as far as rudder rotation is concerned, is the name of the actual rudder part being stated in the aircraft controller.
If you don't want the tail to be one piece with the rest of the aircraft just keep it separated and import it in a new node set as a child node of the main fuselage. If my explaination is not clear enough, just look in stock game for an example of air units that have their rudder rotating correctly AND their tail breaking apart when hit
Old 05-24-19, 08:44 AM   #310
vdr1981
Navy Seal

Downloads: 581
Uploads: 13

Guys, can you please move your discussion to the main TWoS thread? This thread is already becoming congested and loosing it's purpose...Thanks!
vdr1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-19, 02:11 AM   #311
gap
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by vdr1981 View Post
Guys, can you please move your discussion to the main TWoS thread? This thread is already becoming congested and loosing it's purpose...Thanks!
Sorry Vecko, I thought the issue was TWoS-related as that aircraft is not obviously a stock unit.

@ kapuhy
If you still have doubts on how to properly fix that plane, just drop me an e-mail ;-)
Old 05-27-19, 08:51 PM   #312
BlackBass
Watch

Downloads: 177
Uploads: 0
Default No Hydrophone sounds

Hello everyone, I have no hydro sounds other then the engine from my sub. At a dead stop its quite(no sound). I've installed TDW patches clicked all hydrophone fix's. I have the DVD copy of the game running on win10, I've updated the game before installing anything. I've searched the forums without any luck. Has anyone else had this happen?
Thanks
Old 05-28-19, 04:22 AM   #313
THEBERBSTER
Growing Old Disgracefully

Downloads: 1123

Hi BB
Quote:
I've installed TDW patches clicked all hydrophone fix's
If you have restored the TWoS snapshot gps file to the patcher you should not need to make any further changes to it.

If you are at 25 meters and at all stop with a contact within your hydrophone range you should see and hear a result.
There is dead area behind the boat which can be seen when the sonar man is doing a sweep operating the hydrophone.

Peter
THEBERBSTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-19, 05:31 AM   #314
XenonSurf
Sea Lord

Downloads: 107
Uploads: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBass View Post
Hello everyone, I have no hydro sounds other then the engine from my sub. At a dead stop its quite(no sound). I've installed TDW patches clicked all hydrophone fix's. I have the DVD copy of the game running on win10, I've updated the game before installing anything. I've searched the forums without any luck. Has anyone else had this happen?
Thanks

Judging by your description, you don't play with stock WoS because AFAIK it's nowhere written in the WoS doc that you need to make the changes you mention (changing hydrophone settings). If you play without WoS - or a modified WoS - you need to publish your exact JSGME modlist and open a separate thread.

Last edited by XenonSurf; 05-28-19 at 06:20 AM.
XenonSurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-19, 07:31 PM   #315
BlackBass
Watch

Downloads: 177

Thanks for the reply guys.
I have no mods installed just WoS and it's update. The only changes that where made is with the TDW_GenericPatcher for the Hydro Fix's. I thought that was a must have patch. I'll try to turn off the AV and see if that helps.

Thanks