SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics
Forget password? Reset here

Old 08-16-19, 01:48 PM   #1846
Rockstar
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 10
Uploads: 0

I picked up a Barrett M-95 .50 BMG not too long ago just because I can that and they're a helluva a lot of fun to shoot. Only one range in this area with a 500 yard lane though. Anything less really doesnt make it worth while to expend $80.00 or so dollars in ammo and that's the cheap stuff.

Now that's a shootin' iron!

Let's assume I'm right, it'll save time.
Rockstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-19, 02:49 PM   #1847
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Downloads: 534
Uploads: 224

Wrong thread, lol
Old 08-16-19, 03:04 PM   #1848
Rockstar
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 10

well, it does take a great deal gun control on my part when I pull the trigger on that beast.

Let's assume I'm right, it'll save time.
Rockstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-19, 10:22 PM   #1849
August
Wayfaring Stranger

Downloads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onkel Neal View Post
I'm not sure that is worth it, especially when there are millions of AR-15 owners like me and August who have never and will never use their weapon in a crime. Probably 99% of all assault weapon owners fit in this category, so is it fair, does it make sense to pounish them, for the insane actions of a tiny few?

Where is Platapus with his Latin warning signature about how "Abuse does not take away from the use"?

The truth is that any right can and is abused. But if we are going to use that fact as an excuse to take away the rights of those who aren't abusing them then that same concept can also be applied to every other so called "right" as well.

For example some people use their right to privacy to hide criminal activity, therefore by this theory that right needs to be, if not outright repealed, then like they are trying to do with the 2A at least legislated into insignificance.

The same concept is already slowly being applied to the right of free speech, the right to assemble, the right to avoid self incrimination and the rest so when a politician says "Rights have Limits" what he really means is the government that was created to safeguard your rights sees itself as more powerful than those rights and therefore can ignore them as it sees fit.

Flanked by life and the funeral pyre. Putting on a show for you to see.
August is online   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-19, 06:27 PM   #1850
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Reporter admittedly desperate to make Wal-Mart look bad actually shows herself to be irresponsible.

Quote:
But I had only just finished printing my name when she stopped me and asked whether the address on my license matched my home address. I had moved since I obtained my license, and the addresses didn't match.
Hey lady, don't you know the law requires you to keep your driver's license current? Busted!
Old 08-22-19, 03:49 PM   #1851
Platapus
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 63

abusus non tollit usum -

Translation: "abuse does not preclude proper use"

A legal maxim in the context of -- A right should NOT be withheld from people on the basis that some tend to abuse that right.
Old 08-22-19, 07:48 PM   #1852
August
Wayfaring Stranger

These Red Flag laws make me wonder.

What is the sense of declaring somebody to be a danger but then only confiscating their guns and just leaving them to their own devices?

In case anyone doesn't know the way these laws work, somebody, a family member, social worker, ex wife, etc makes a claim to a judge that the subject is a danger to themselves or others. The judge issues a confiscation order for the subjects firearms. The cops show up at the subjects home, present the order and demand that the subject surrender all their firearms.

Now here is the strange part.

If the subject complies without resisting then the cops just take the guns and leave him there still depressed or angry or crazy enough to be a danger to themselves or others. Somebody that was supposedly bent on committing suicide or murder is supposedly completely deterred by the lack of a gun. We leave a depressed person with plenty of rope, razor blades and alone standing next to an open window in a room on the top floor of a tall building and we leave a manic free to plot his revenge on those who dropped a dime on him.

Does anyone else see a problem with this?

Old 08-22-19, 11:21 PM   #1853
Dowly
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 32

Re:suicide

There have been studies that show a gun is an easy way out, because it is sudden and final. Methods that take time carry out or are slower to take effect (drugs for example) and more painful have shown to deter suicidal persons in some cases. I believe the fences at the Golden Gate Bridge were used as an example; the time it takes to climb them gives the person time to rethink about what they are doing.

Of course, if someone REALLY wants to off themself then they'll find a way without a gun.
Dowly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-19, 05:51 AM   #1854
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Beto O'Rourke: Fines will 'compel' AR-15 owners to turn their guns in

This idiot will start the civil war. Just imagine gun sales if he was to win the Democratic nomination.

Quote:
O'Rourke claimed a "longtime Republican" spoke to him in the bathroom while they were urinating, telling the Democrat he's all in for the gun confiscation.

"New O'Rourke anecdote: He says a longtime Republican chatted him up today in [Buc-ee's Beaver] bathroom on guns," posted Svitek. "He said, 'This is gonna be strange — not strange that I'm talking to you while we're both at a urinal ... but strange because I'm telling you you're absolutely right on guns.'"
That's the most made up bunch of BS, he's giving Biden a run for his money.
Old 09-20-19, 07:52 AM   #1855
Commander Wallace
Navy Seal

Downloads: 360

Quote:
Originally Posted by August View Post
These Red Flag laws make me wonder.

What is the sense of declaring somebody to be a danger but then only confiscating their guns and just leaving them to their own devices?

In case anyone doesn't know the way these laws work, somebody, a family member, social worker, ex wife, etc makes a claim to a judge that the subject is a danger to themselves or others. The judge issues a confiscation order for the subjects firearms. The cops show up at the subjects home, present the order and demand that the subject surrender all their firearms.

Now here is the strange part.

If the subject complies without resisting then the cops just take the guns and leave him there still depressed or angry or crazy enough to be a danger to themselves or others. Somebody that was supposedly bent on committing suicide or murder is supposedly completely deterred by the lack of a gun. We leave a depressed person with plenty of rope, razor blades and alone standing next to an open window in a room on the top floor of a tall building and we leave a manic free to plot his revenge on those who dropped a dime on him.

Does anyone else see a problem with this?

One problem i see with this August is that the weapon confiscation is without due process. What if someone is angry with someone or has an ax to grind and without cause or exercising malice or extreme prejudice decides to call the police to say someone is a danger to themselves and their community.

The authorities may end up taking weapons that never should have been taken in the first place. If on the other hand, someone is a legitimate dangers, by all means : secure : their weapons and as you said, diffuse the situation and get them the help they need.
Commander Wallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-19, 09:25 AM   #1856
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9

https://translate.google.de/translat...ndsatzfrage%2F

Quote:
The right to life can not be relativized or questioned by considerations of "social utility". The denial of possession of weapons means favoring violent attacks and thus an attack on the right to life. Therefore, utilitarian considerations on this issue are problematic, because in this way human lives are degraded to the calculation mass. However, according to Hsiao, this conflicts with the fundamental right to life.
(...)
Nevertheless, a life-threatening attack is most effectively countered by the use of force of arms.
Old 09-20-19, 09:45 AM   #1857
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dowly View Post
Re:suicide
I believe the fences at the Golden Gate Bridge were used as an example; the time it takes to climb them gives the person time to rethink about what they are doing.
WORSE YET: SOME TIME AGO (90'S) I HAD APPLIED FOR A SECURITY POSITION ON THE GOLDEN GATE BRIDGE AND WAS INTERVIEWED BY A PANEL WHO ASKED WHAT I WOULD DO DIFFERENTLY. I ANSWERED DEADPAN "I WOULD OPEN A BUNGEE-CORD CONCESSION AND LET EM 'TRY IT ONCE' MY BARRACK'S HUMOR BEING CORRECT: I WAS OFFERED THE POSITION BUT DECLINED: I DIDN'T WANT 2 B GRAVE-SHIFTS AT 0200 ON HORRIBLE STORMY WINTER NIGHTS!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"

Last edited by Aktungbby; 09-20-19 at 10:54 AM.
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-19, 07:54 PM   #1858
em2nought
Ocean Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onkel Neal View Post
Beto O'Rourke: Fines will 'compel' AR-15 owners to turn their guns in

This idiot will start the civil war. Just imagine gun sales if he was to win the Democratic nomination.

That's the most made up bunch of BS, he's giving Biden a run for his money.
Beto probably just misunderstood, the dude probably told Beto to go ahead and show up at his door to collect his firearms.
Old 09-20-19, 08:28 PM   #1859
August
Wayfaring Stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander Wallace View Post
One problem i see with this August is that the weapon confiscation is without due process. What if someone is angry with someone or has an ax to grind and without cause or exercising malice or extreme prejudice decides to call the police to say someone is a danger to themselves and their community.

The authorities may end up taking weapons that never should have been taken in the first place. If on the other hand, someone is a legitimate dangers, by all means : secure : their weapons and as you said, diffuse the situation and get them the help they need.

I don't like them because of the lack of due process either for the very reasons you mention but I also think that the very idea of red flag laws themselves are faulty. A person is considered to be dangerous enough to disarm but not dangerous enough to even monitor afterward? It doesn't make sense.

Old 09-21-19, 07:38 PM   #1860
Commander Wallace
Navy Seal

Downloads: 360

Quote:
Originally Posted by August View Post
I don't like them because of the lack of due process either for the very reasons you mention but I also think that the very idea of red flag laws themselves are faulty. A person is considered to be dangerous enough to disarm but not dangerous enough to even monitor afterward? It doesn't make sense.

I agree with you on that as well. I think there should be an honest and open dialog regarding weapons and the mentally Ill. Where to even start with something like this. Colt has said they will no longer manufacture the AR-15 for sale to the general public.

The people i know have an odd assortment of weapons they use for hunting and to protect their homes. They are not the danger. It's the crazies out there. It's anyone's guess how anyone would address that.
Commander Wallace is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gun control, guns, radio wave madness