SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > Sub & Naval Discussions: World Naval News, Books, & Films
Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-21-06, 04:06 PM   #1
AG124
Sea Lord

Downloads: 4
Uploads: 0
Default SS Marine Sulphur Queen - Wreck Found?

Does anyone know anything more about any of these cases?

SS Marine Sulphur Queen:

A few years ago, I heard the the wreck of the T2 tanker Marine Sulphur Queen (which supposedly disappeared in the Bermuda Triangle) had been located off Florida. In 2005, a team of divers inspected the ship and found that it appeared to be a tanker lying on her port side. There were three other ships (all sunk during WW2) that the wreck might have been but all were much smaller than the MSQ. Here is the latest link I can find:

http://uwex.us/012801.htm

Flight 19:

Also, I remember hearing updates on the five Avengers that disappeared in 1945. Five planes were found together in the 1990s, but all were confirmed to be different ones that were lost in accidents later. In the late 1990s, one lone Avenger was supposedly located by a researcher looking for the squadron - the only surviving part of the call number matched one of the five missing planes. I forget where I read that and I don't know anything else about it.

USS Cyclops/Nereus/Proteus:

In 1968, the wreck of one of these ships was claimed to have been discovered, altough it has not been relocated since, to my knowledge. (BTW - In this article, the author forgets to mention the Cyclops' other three sisters, Jason, Neptune, and Orion which were scrapped in the 1930s).

http://www.numa.net/expeditions/cyclops.html

SS Waratah:

In 1942, a pilot flying near Africa spotted a large ship lying on her side in shallow water, where no wreck had been recorded to have been. He died in a car accident before he could tell anyone where it was located and a map he drew of the place was lost (altough it was found in a photo album in 1972). Between that time and the present, that wreck was found and confirmed to have actually been a Dutch Submarine Depot (the SS Columbia) torpedoed in WW2. I don't think the Waratah has actually been found.

http://www.numa.net/press/011701.html

Anyone have any updates, on these or on others?

DOWNLOAD GWX HERE:
http://www.thegreywolves.com/index.html
AG124 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-08, 11:53 PM   #2
Energy Recruitment
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:
Default SS Marine Sulphur Queen - Wreck Found?

A few years ago, I heard the the wreck of the T2 tanker Marine Sulphur Queen (which supposedly disappeared in the Bermuda Triangle) had been located off Florida. In 2005, a team of divers inspected the ship and found that it appeared to be a tanker lying on her port side. There were three other ships (all sunk during WW2) that the wreck might have been but all were much smaller than the MSQ. Here is the latest link I can find:
Old 11-02-08, 01:02 PM   #3
AG124
Sea Lord

MSQ

You're link isn't working. I've searched around, and haven't seen any new information. Is this the site you found?

http://www.mikey.net/scuba/dive_repo..._01_01_27.html

DOWNLOAD GWX HERE:
Old 11-03-08, 12:51 AM   #4
TarJak
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 150
Uploads: 8

Energy Recruitment's link looks like an ad. I can't find anything to do with the MSQ there. You original link is the latest mention I can find and is far from conclusive.
TarJak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-08, 08:12 AM   #5
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Downloads: 534
Uploads: 224

Yeah, if that is a spam member, I am amazed they need the business bad enough to manually enter the member registration and a post that is semi-relevant to the topic
Old 11-03-08, 09:47 AM   #6
AG124
Sea Lord

Spam?

I was under the impression that was just a link in their signature - there wasn't any link in the post itself so I ignored the sig one. It does seem somewhat spam like however, now that I think about it.

DOWNLOAD GWX HERE:
Old 11-03-08, 10:16 AM   #7
Hanomag
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by AG124
Flight 19:

Also, I remember hearing updates on the five Avengers that disappeared in 1945. Five planes were found together in the 1990s, but all were confirmed to be different ones that were lost in accidents later. In the late 1990s, one lone Avenger was supposedly located by a researcher looking for the squadron - the only surviving part of the call number matched one of the five missing planes. I forget where I read that and I don't know anything else about it.
Actually I find that one interesting, I have seen a show on Discovery about these Avengers. 5 different flights that went down on 5 different dates in the same spot!!

Figure that one out.

"Only if I can save first..."
Hanomag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-08, 10:47 AM   #8
AntEater
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 0

I loved Berlitz back in the days when there was no internet and no way except for a really thorough international research (which nobody but another book author could've taken up) to disprove his numerous outrageous claims.
I think none of the "dissappeared" ships actually stand up to scrutiny.
Aircraft is another story but aircraft do dissappear all the time.
For example, a japanese freighter that was listed as dissappeared actually sank in plain view of a Cunard liner in the middle of a tropical storm, while its dramatic and mysterious distress signal was actually only the first known example of engrish.
("Now very danger!")
The Schooner Ellen Austin was just a 1920s bootlegging case while many other ships actually did not even exist with that name.
Maybe Berlitz's research is an example of what you get when you ask old salts to tell some interesting and scary stories.