Forget password? Reset here

Old 07-10-19, 01:59 AM   #1
Fidgety
Mate

Downloads: 33
Uploads: 0
Default My biggest problem ATM

Hi again,
Hoping someone can help me with my biggest problem ATM.

I'm really struggling hunting at night. It's just way too dark to see anything even on a clear night when the moons out. I am forced to get to under 1km to see anything and then I struggle to fit the target in the scope.
I have done a bit of searching for help but all I can find is to adjust the gamma setting. I did this and that does help a little, maybe gives me an extra 500m of viewing distance but it flares the scope up with rings of glare which block the ship at the edges of the scope making it impossible to see the bow and stern.

I have a env mod installed but it makes no difference the problem happens modded or not.

Anyone know of a solution please?

P.S I do know how to drop ships with zero visuals using the hydrophone and charting, but its not always convenient. Like for instance when you intercept a ship leaving a port that will make numerous turns untill getting on a solid course.
Fidgety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-19, 08:13 AM   #2
XenonSurf
Sea Lord

Downloads: 107
Uploads: 4

Hi Fidgety,
I assume you are playing TWoS, but my comment is true for any modlist:
The nights in SH5 with default game options are very dark, and there are even mods like DynEnv 2.9 that make them darker for realism, up to your point where you don't see anything. My assessment is this:

I think that at night in Real Life, you could hardly see a small merchand ship at 2000m with binoculars if the sea was totally still with no fog and the moon ahead of you (in the direction of your optics) , an ideal situation but already not so 'bright' for you... This means that a wind of 2m/s would actually considerably drop your vision, not to speak about higher winds creating a lot of 'noise' with the wakes. Also no moon at all will take away a lot of difusing light reflection which also hampers your vision. All this cannot be perfectly simulated in a game (water and atmospheric effects are very hard to reproduce).
Problem with that: the game SH5 becomes almost unplayable at night where an attack is almost impossible, contrary to what happened in RL.

Solution is simple:

Go in the game options and rise your Gamma value, you can rise it just a little bit to see ships up to 3000m with binoculars, with no moon and no fog please!, at which point the game becomes playable IMO. Best place to make these settings is in a Historical Mission, the TDW Torp Tutorial, which puts you in front of a single moving ship. Set all weather options, launch the mission, do the gamma settings until you can barely see that big Cimaron Tanker at 4000m with binoculars (and not see it further).

See first thumbnail below for Gamma setting.

In addition of that, you can let your WO assist you more efficiently by identifying ships for you, this will gain you important seconds and compensate for the poor vision. You can set in the OFEV to automatically launch the ID book with the exact entry (SOAN tab in the OFEV, see screenshot 2 below). In WoS you would need to activate one of the optional mods contained in JSGME after installation.

See 2nd thumbnail below, Auto ID Book in the OFEV.

There is the quirk in SH5 that your crew can magically see very far away, much further than you can do, in any weather situation. This ruins the tactical game aspect and there is nothing AFAIK you can do against. Some submarines in RL were caught on the surface with bad weather by destroyers or patrol boats...This will not happen in SH5 for that reason.

Cheers,
XS
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Gamma Settings.jpg (83.3 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg Auto ID Book.jpg (88.6 KB, 16 views)

Last edited by XenonSurf; 07-10-19 at 09:12 AM.
XenonSurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-19, 08:51 AM   #3
Fidgety
Mate

I have already tried tweaking the gamma settings and I cant get anywhere near 3km improvement. For some reason when I increase it, it puts glare rings around all 3 optics.

I have installed soians brighter night mod also today and that didnt seem to do anything.

Think im done with SH5 to be honest now. I'm fed up of all the problems.
I put thousands of hours into SH3 a decade ago and its unreal how many problems have carried over to SH5 from 3.
Things like the compass dial being off by a couple of degrees and all the rest.
I remember these problems in SH3 not getting fixed by the devs and it was left to modders.
I think SH5 was basicly just ubisoft taking SH3, running the code through a new game engine, adding a few features and releasing it early.
Prob gave up when they realized how small the Sub simulator crowd is and that there wasnt more money to be had. Scummy company.

I bought UBOAT on steam before I purchased SH5. That game was a buggy mess and it didnt have any similarities to SH3. I thought I would give SH5 ago. I never purchased SH5 back in the day because it only had type 7 boats in. Im damn glad I never paid full price for it.
Once again the Subsim community has outdone itself modding or should I say fixing a terrible game release.

I dont even think I would have lasted a day if I had been playing vanilla.

Might go and buy Cold waters now and give that a try, my itch for subs hasn't been scratched.
Old 07-10-19, 09:16 AM   #4
XenonSurf
Sea Lord

Really? Did you try all my suggestions above? I doubt, you have responded much too fast...

SH5 like SH3 has been designed to be more an arcade game rather than a precise sub simulator, and I'm ok with that otherwise I would not play this game, and anyhow we have to live with that decision.

But maybe someone else has better ideas than I have? After changing gamma and setting Auto ID Book I have no problems.

Last edited by XenonSurf; 07-10-19 at 09:27 AM.
Old 07-10-19, 10:28 AM   #5
vdr1981
Navy Seal

Downloads: 581
Uploads: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidgety View Post
Hi again,
Hoping someone can help me with my biggest problem ATM.

I'm really struggling hunting at night. It's just way too dark to see anything even on a clear night when the moons out. I am forced to get to under 1km to see anything and then I struggle to fit the target in the scope.
I have done a bit of searching for help but all I can find is to adjust the gamma setting. I did this and that does help a little, maybe gives me an extra 500m of viewing distance but it flares the scope up with rings of glare which block the ship at the edges of the scope making it impossible to see the bow and stern.

I have a env mod installed but it makes no difference the problem happens modded or not.

Anyone know of a solution please?

P.S I do know how to drop ships with zero visuals using the hydrophone and charting, but its not always convenient. Like for instance when you intercept a ship leaving a port that will make numerous turns untill getting on a solid course.
Try "DynEnv v2.9 - Brighter Nights" addon from Dynamic Environment SH5 v 2.9 mod
vdr1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-19, 03:37 PM   #6
Fidgety
Mate

"Really? Did you try all my suggestions above? I doubt, you have responded much too fast..."

If you check my first post you will see that I already tried changing the gamma settings and it didnt work. I replied to your post too fast because you were suggesting something I have already done and also stated that I had done it.

Your second reccomendation was to let the watch officer help. I like to play on 100% difficulty really. I play real nav and dont really weant the guys on the ship doing too much. It takes the satisfaction away for me when its not all done by me.

Do appreciate your attempt at help though.

@vdr1981 "DynEnv v2.9 - Brighter Nights" addon from Dynamic Environment SH5 v 2.9 mod

Was really frustrated earlier when I wrote this thread. After a days work away from it, yes I'll give it a go. I'll post results later tonight. Tnks for the suggestion.

edit - was about to download it and realised I already had it when it asked to name it fix on end -> (1)
never thought to try it, sigh, I just want like 1k extra visability

edit2 - sorry, I meant I downloaded the main mod I think, There was loads of options in the file so I chose a env mod that was just one file. Do I add this into the dynamic mod I already have or is it already in the main mod? Or can you install it on its own, seperate from its parent mod?

Last edited by Fidgety; 07-10-19 at 03:51 PM.
Old 07-10-19, 04:06 PM   #7
vdr1981
Navy Seal

Quote:

edit2 - sorry, I meant I downloaded the main mod I think, There was loads of options in the file so I chose a env mod that was just one file. Do I add this into the dynamic mod I already have or is it already in the main mod? Or can you install it on its own, seperate from its parent mod?
Don't use standalone mods in combination with TWoS or may brake your game. This includes Gap's Dynamic Enviroment v2.9 mod as well. It's already there...
Only activate the brighter nights addon I gave you like this...

I think you'll be satisfied with the result...

Cheers!
Old 07-10-19, 04:45 PM   #8
Fidgety
Mate

Damn man, really dissapointed you told me it will break game.
I enabled all the mods in the dynamic mod and the game looks incredible compared to before.

I added the night mod yo0u suggested that i just downloaded and sat in harbour till nightfall.

well I took a screen shot to show but subsim makes you upload from 3rd party website so im not creating an account on tiny pic etc, but it looks pretty good so far.

Damn shame it will break game. Cant believe difference. Looks like 5 years advance in graphics quality from 2010.

I have onlyt sat in harbpour so far but I can see ships in 2k range, only im not sure if thats down to ambient light from surrounding environment. Will get to testing over next few hours.

Tnks man.
Old 07-10-19, 05:59 PM   #9
Fidgety
Mate

@ vdr1981

You were right, my game broke installing the full mod. I did it in a rush before reading your post. It modified some sound files and removing it with jsgm didnt fix it. The hydrophone went all sqreechy.

Nice fresh install I'm good with that. Can see how it goes from here.

Could I just ask to save me writing another thread ( I have already started 3 dont want to spam forum with noob questions), in TWOS mod, does it change decks awash to run on electric motors for realism?

After playing a few days I noticed going decks awash would make the watch crew go inside the Uboat and it would switch to electric motors. I'm not sure if this is supposed to happen for realism or if I tried a mod that broke it. One of the loading screens tells you to do it to get a low shilohette and run on deisal motors, but it goes to electric for me.
Also, the boat seems to struggle getting past the 6m mark when asked. seems like a barrier. only when I click on the decks awash button I mean.

I noticed a patch for decks awash in the options file editor prog that comes with TWOS, but not sure if its related. Tnks for any advice in advance.
Old 07-10-19, 07:15 PM   #10
XenonSurf
Sea Lord

Just to get the picture right: On my system, the mod DynEnv v2.9 - Brighter Nights does plain nothing...neither in WoS nor in my personal modlist.
Old 07-11-19, 10:10 AM   #11
vdr1981
Navy Seal

Quote:
in TWOS mod, does it change decks awash to run on electric motors for realism?
Of course not. While in deck awash, the boat still runs on diesel engines, your silhouette will be lower and this will have negative impact on enemy watch crews. There are some drawbacks due to game limitations. You wont be able to use binoculars for example, because the game will think that you are about to submerge.

Quote:
After playing a few days I noticed going decks awash would make the watch crew go inside the Uboat and it would switch to electric motors.
I'm not sure if this is supposed to happen for realism or if I tried a mod that broke it. One of the loading screens tells you to do it to get a low shilohette and run on deisal motors, but it goes to electric for me.

Also, the boat seems to struggle getting past the 6m mark when asked. seems like a barrier. only when I click on the decks awash button I mean.
This doesn't sound like normal TWoS behavior. Probably your game was broken due to additional unsupported mods or inadequate installation...

Quote:
Damn man, really dissapointed you told me it will break game.
I enabled all the mods in the dynamic mod and the game looks incredible compared to before.

I added the night mod yo0u suggested that i just downloaded and sat in harbour till nightfall.

well I took a screen shot to show but subsim makes you upload from 3rd party website so im not creating an account on tiny pic etc, but it looks pretty good so far.

Damn shame it will break game. Cant believe difference. Looks like 5 years advance in graphics quality from 2010.

I dont understand what are you trying to say? TWoS is based on Gap's Dynamic Environment v2.9 mod , plus few more additional tweaks taken other available env mods and some my mods...

I really dont see what one can do in order do get better and more realistic (before everything else) environment than this...

Last edited by vdr1981; 07-11-19 at 10:33 AM.
Old 07-11-19, 10:13 AM   #12
vdr1981
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by XenonSurf View Post
Just to get the picture right: On my system, the mod DynEnv v2.9 - Brighter Nights does plain nothing...neither in WoS nor in my personal modlist.
Not sure about your modlist but I can confirm that with TWoS, night brightens difference, with Gap's addon and without it, is quite visible... Discrete yes, but it's there.
Old 07-11-19, 04:27 PM   #13
Fidgety
Mate

I can confirm that it has improved my visability (at least on a fully cloudless clear night).

I missed this last night > "I dont understand what are you trying to say? TWoS is based on Gap's Dynamic Environment v2.9 mod"

You posted this link earlier in the thread...

Dynamic Environment SH5 v 2.9

I had no idea it was already in the TWOS mod, I had downloaded from that link over a week ago but never installed it because there was a mass of options to choose from.

Last night I installed all of it on top of TWOS through curiosity and after that the hydrophone went screechy.

If you say that Dynamic environment is already in TWOS, then how come last night when I added it to my mods, The game improved a lot? There was really nice light effects streaking out the sky and gave it a surreal feeling. Under water looked much improved also and had really nice plant life going on. The sea and waves looked nicer also.

Doesn't really matter anyhow I suppose the game is fixed for me now and After doing a full fresh install decks awash is working as expected. I'm not installing anymore mods im done lol thankfull to be playing with no major problems just little annoyances.
Tnks all.
Old 07-11-19, 08:01 PM   #14
XenonSurf
Sea Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by vdr1981 View Post
Not sure about your modlist but I can confirm that with TWoS, night brightens difference, with Gap's addon and without it, is quite visible... Discrete yes, but it's there.

Arrghh, I'm sorry. A stupid mistake from me, I forgot to revert the gamma before installing and using the mod. I will retry...I was in fact astonished