Forget password? Reset here

Old 06-12-19, 01:07 PM   #1
PatrickWarner
Swabbie

Downloads: 5
Uploads: 0
Default Mission Training 1 The Silent Service

Hi,

Does anyone know if it's possible to actually complete this mission?

I've done this mission quite a few times. Even when I manage to get all the way to the mission completed point without being detected, I seem to always get the message "You have been counter-detected" at the same time as I get the "Mission completed" message.

This happened even if I go way to the east and completely out of range of both the ships before going south.

Maybe this mission is bugged somehow?
PatrickWarner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-19, 05:05 PM   #2
ET2SN
ET2/SS

Downloads: 56

The mission description tells you how to beat that mission.
Read it again, slowly.

The first mission is to teach you how to drive the boat and use its sensors. You also need to learn how to think in three dimensions instead of two. They basically tell you that you can mask yourself by staying close to the bottom (10 to 20 feet above). After that, its just a timing and navigation exercise.

BTW, you didn't mention if you were using the RA mod. RA is a LOT tougher than stock DW and that mission may be unwinnable.
ET2SN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-19, 04:46 AM   #3
ET2SN
ET2/SS

So, I tried this mission again in DW with RA 1.48 installed. For you newer folks, let's run through it so you can see what's going on (with minimal spoilers) and how to win it.

Before you play the H/K Training Mission 1, at least for a score, consider creating a mission called Sea Trials. Go into the mission editor and create a new mission. Keep it simple, find a patch of ocean somewhere that's at least 1,000 feet deep and add a drive-able sub. Since the training missions use a Flight 3 688 class boat, place one somewhere on the map and check the box that makes it the only drive-able platform. You could also add a civilian ship to the map and give it a Random Box tactic but it really isn't needed yet. Save the mission and then start it up. BTW, I promise I'll get into that first mission in the next post.

Use this mission to get used to your boat. One of the things you'll want to create is a Cavitation Curve. This is a graph of speed vs depth and shows how fast you can run at a given depth. The top of the graph should start at about 100 feet above sea level and go down to 1,000 feet deep or so. From left to right, start at 0 knots and mark off speeds up to 35 knots.
Start the mission and get under way. Surface your boat and order ahead 1/3. How fast is that? Right, 5 knots. Play around with changing course, there are a couple of ways to do this. Increase speed until Sonar tells you you're cavatating. Play around with changing your speed (again, there are a couple of ways to do this) until you know for certain how fast you can go before you start to cavatate. By the way, how deep are you when you're on the surface? These are picky little details but at some point they could be important, so write that stuff down on your graph. Order up a Flank bell and see how fast you can go when you're on the surface. What happens when you order a backing bell? Now's the time to try it. Add in some rudder and watch what happens. Play around with the masts, etc. Turn on the HF (under ice) sonar. It doesn't seem to be working, I wonder why?
Now, order 5 knots and dive the boat to 100 feet. How long did it take to do that? You don't have to write that on your curve but get a feeling for how long it takes to change depth and speed. Use the "bullhorn" icon to come up to PD. How deep is that? How deep is it to the top of the sail? How deep can you go and still ventilate using the snorkel? These number ARE important, so write them down on your graph.
Meanwhile, dive down 50 feet at a time and figure out how fast you're going when Sonar calls out "CAVATATING!!". Mark down these speeds and depths on your graph until you can run at a flank bell without making bubbles.
You need to know these numbers. You don't have to know them in your sleep (but it helps) but you should have a good "seat of the pants" feel when it comes to driving your boat.
When you can start out at a flank bell at 500 feet and come up to PD as quickly as you can without making noise then quickly dive back to 500 feet at a flank bell again, you're ready to play the game for points.
How you do that is by knowing when to make speed changes. At X feet I need to order ahead full, at Y feet I need to order ahead standard, etc..
BTW, there is no "cast in stone" way to do this. As long as you aren't generating crap loads of noise, your way is as valid as mine.

Old 06-13-19, 07:55 AM   #4
ET2SN
ET2/SS

OK, so back to 688i HK Training Mission 1 ("earning your dolphins").
Let's start with the mission orders and figure out what we need to do.
We need to drive 50 nmi due south in 4 hours or less. Along the way, we also need to drive up to PD after a half hour but no later than 3 hours into the mission. We also have to avoid detection from a couple of skimmers in the area.

So, first things first. We have to drive 50 miles south in less than 4 hours. That works out to an average of 12.5 knots but we also need to drive up to PD and avoid the gray targets.
Let's assume we'll need to drive the boat at 15 knots as soon as we can without creating a lot of noise. That gives us a little cushion plus we can go faster as the water gets deeper, in case we need to.
So, all I've seen so far is the orders but I've set up a basic plan.

Time to start the mission.
I'm in fairly shallow water heading due south. While I've beaten this mission in the past, it was years ago. One thing I remember from back in the old 688i days, they snuck in something in either the briefing or in the manual about sticking close to the bottom. That was one of those smack-yourself-in-the-forehead moments once I figured it out.

So, I'm in shallow water going 5 knots. I check the time and its 1200. Now I can hit Pause and do some quick chart work. I drop a waypoint on the chart 50 miles to the south and label it "1600". I also need to get to PD sometime between 1230 and 1500, so I figure out a position based on my planned 15 knot speed and label that point 1500 as a reminder, just in case.

So, I can get back into the game again. The first thing I do is figure out some strategy. I'm going to be running close to the bottom for a while and I need to start getting some speed, so the Toad isn't really an option. Its either going to be dragging in the mud or I'll be going too fast. I can always deploy it later once I'm in deeper water and I have a chance to slow down for a little while.
Right about then, as if on cue, I get a ping from the south west. Time to dive and get moving. I have auto crew turned on in Sonar and Fire Control. They can track this guy for now with no problem based on his pings. I dive down to 15 feet above the bottom. I'm deep enough to go to 2/3 for now.
I try to stay within 10 to 15 feet of the bottom as I motor along. I want to wait until I'm at least 150 feet deep before I order Ahead Standard. It feels like its forever but its only half an hour and I'm finally deep enough. Ahead standard.
While I'm keeping a close eye on the depth to keel, I check out the TMA on the first joker. The dot stack is pretty good and Fire Control has calculated a speed of 19 knots on a course of 090.

So, time out for a second. This dude is banging away on active while he's motoring along at 20 knots. Whoopie! He's making my job a lot easier.

He could get lucky but for the most part he's deaf as a post. I want to pass behind Mr. Surface Warfare Expert and keep some distance so I check the chart and do some quick calculating. I figure out a spot (assuming he's going to stick to Warp Speed) where I could do some small course changes to help open the distance. The basic plan is a ten degree turn to 190 for 5 minutes then another turn to 170 for another 5 minutes then back to 180. If I get behind my timing, I can always speed up later on as I get into deeper water.
Meanwhile, his partner makes a peep. Sonar calls him out but then he goes quiet again. Just a reminder that I have two turkeys to deal with.

By now, I'm at 500 feet and there's no need to go deeper. Since I'm in deep water I drop an XBT in case there's a layer. Nope..
Still, its also after 1230 (1245-ish?) and the first skimmer is still in a hurry to Go Find The Submarine and he's opening by quite a bit. I think it over a bit and, yeah, now's a good time to head up to PD. I check the orders again and I don't have to raise any masts or copy a broadcast, I just have to get there.
I still have to keep an eye on this dude in case he doubles back, but I've got some time in the bank and I may as well get it done.

I order a new depth of 60 feet. This is a little above PD because I don't want to blow the mission on a technicality. Now, I watch my depth. I drop to 10 knots before I get to 150 feet and 5 knots before I get to 100 feet. I want to be sneaky but the clock is still ticking.

I go above 65 feet (PD) and tool along for a couple of minutes at 60 feet. Just to be safe, I check the mission status. Some folks consider this a cheat, but I don't. I haven't been detected and I get credit for making it to PD. Good enough, its time to head deep again.

So, I keep the speed conservative on the way down but I still need to hustle. It dawns on me that I could have deployed the Toad while I was running slow to look for Turkey #2 but I wasted the chance.

Meanwhile, I said a while ago "minimal spoilers".

I made it with 10 minutes to spare.

Don't count out the second contact. If you have some spare time, try to track him and maneuver if you have to.

Old 06-13-19, 02:16 PM   #5
p7p8
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 136
Uploads: 6

This mission is very simple.

In my opinion you should use your sub advantages above "enemy" disadvanteges.

For LA Fl III best advanteges are:
- very high tactical speed
- high maximum speed
- very good torpedoes (not usable in this scenario)

Enemy disadvantage was (in this case):
- high speed (too high for using effectively TA)
- using active sonar (easy for tracking)

Below video from my game:

Autocrew:
- only active intercept

Manual:
- TMA
- all rest

Btw I played this mission in original 688 H/K years ago
Old 06-14-19, 02:46 AM   #6
p7p8
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 136
Uploads: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ET2SN View Post
One of the things you'll want to create is a Cavitation Curve. This is a graph of speed vs depth and shows how fast you can run at a given depth
Can you share your Cavitation Curve for 688i? It will be easier for other players to use graph made by you than making own.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ET2SN View Post
I drop to 10 knots before I get to 150 feet and 5 knots before I get to 100 feet. I want to be sneaky but the clock is still ticking.
Why you didn't use your Cavitation Curve chart? LA can go to PD with 8 kts without cavitation and in this scenario time is crucial.
Old 07-15-23, 01:17 PM   #7
SirJohn
Watch

Downloads: 26

I thought after a few years I'd give it a try, but I have the exact same issue. I do everything as stated and when I arrive at the location it says.
"Mission accomplished" and right after that: "You have been counter detected".

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickWarner View Post
Hi,

Does anyone know if it's possible to actually complete this mission?

I've done this mission quite a few times. Even when I manage to get all the way to the mission completed point without being detected, I seem to always get the message "You have been counter-detected" at the same time as I get the "Mission completed" message.

This happened even if I go way to the east and completely out of range of both the ships before going south.

Maybe this mission is bugged somehow?
SirJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-23, 02:54 PM   #8
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Default Welcome back!

Sir John...after a year's 'silent run'!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote