SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Modern-Era Subsims > Dangerous Waters
Forget password? Reset here

Old 06-24-19, 11:07 AM   #1
Bayu Pamungkas
Watch

Downloads: 13
Uploads: 0
Default How to evade ASROC (effectively)?

Hi all. I have played the converted 688i/HK mission 1 on Dangerous Waters with RA 1.48. The mission is about killing Viktor II, then Krivak II, and sending fireworks (TLAM) to Cuban armory. This is my story. My problem is killing Krivak. When I shot her, she counterattacked with ASROC (Silex). I tried this mission twice.

1. Frist trial. I was sunk by her Silex surprisedly because there was no "missile launch" warning, just TIW warning when the torpedo was entering the water.

2. In the second try, when my torpedo was about 5 nm from her, I fully retracted my TA, then slowing down, waiting the TIW to came. When the torpedo entering the water, I immediately turning away from the TIW bearing and flanking and dropping CMs on turning point. I stopped flanking at 1,5 nm from datum, and it seem succeeded. Restreaming TA, reguiding my fish, and finally I killed her.
So my question : Do you have a better/more effective method to evading ASROC? Any constructing advice is welcomed.
Old 06-24-19, 11:23 AM   #2
p7p8
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 136
Uploads: 6

Quote:
In the second try, when my torpedo was about 5 nm from her, I fully retracted my TA, then slowing down, waiting the TIW to came
In my opinion its completly wrong

1. After your attack (torpedo or UGM's firing) you should move away from your position. You should do this as fast as possible because Torpedoe can be detected from long range. So recommended to go minimum with tactical speed (19 kts for TB-16) or faster (up to 25 kts)

2. Do not cavitate!

3. When your torpedoes are close to target - slow down to tactical speed 15-19 kts. It will allow you to make some corrections

4. Don't wait to TiW - its always too risky. Better is to change course and run away with high speed.

Quote:
I was sunk by her Silex surprisedly because there was no "missile launch" warning
Krivak launch missiles from above water - so you cannot hear "underwater missile launch"
Old 06-24-19, 01:19 PM   #3
Bayu Pamungkas
Watch

Thank you p7p8

Quote:
After your attack (torpedo or UGM's firing) you should move away from your position. You should do this as fast as possible because Torpedoe can be detected from long range. So recommended to go minimum with tactical speed (19 kts for TB-16) or faster (up to 25 kts)
How long/how far I must go from datum? I tried the third (with show truth on, just for testing). I shot the torpedo off bearing and resteering it (hoping to gave false torps bearing), and I went away from datum. When the torpedo approached her (+-3,5nm), she still shot on my bearing even if the torpedo came from different bearing

Quote:
Do not cavitate!
Ofcourse, I even made cavitation-speed-depth graph for LA fleet III.

Quote:
Krivak launch missiles from above water - so you cannot hear "underwater missile launch"
So we can not know exactly when does she start launching that weps?
Old 06-25-19, 04:03 PM   #4
p7p8
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 136
Uploads: 6

Here is my gameplay from this mission - i played on Collins

Attack on Krivak after 44 minute

(Layer was at 268 m)

Torpedo were launched under layer and not straight to Krivak. After launch i changed course and speed - under layer.
When torpedo was ~5nmi from me and enemy - iv'e changed torpedo course so i was on differend direction than torpedo.
My sub go litle above layer for solution correction.

Last edited by p7p8; 06-25-19 at 04:13 PM.
p7p8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-19, 08:57 AM   #5
Bayu Pamungkas
Watch

@pepe
Thank you for the video. I am sorry for the late reply, because I am bussy a few days ago. Btw there is still TIW message, what is the source (based on replay)? Is it from ASROC or conventional torpedo (beacuse your range and the enemy is close). And why did you choose to attack from close range instead of long range?