SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > Sub & Naval Discussions: World Naval News, Books, & Films
Forget password? Reset here

Old 02-11-14, 01:41 PM   #31
eddie
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 99
Uploads: 0

Like Oberon says this is a non issue. Doesn't mean anything except to those in Iran who follow the hardliners. They said the same thing before, and nothing happened. Ranks right down there with the news they sent out last year, when they claimed they put a monkey in space, when they claimed they have made a cruise missle that can't be detected by radar, the new super sonic stealth jet fighter they displayed for all the world to see, just part of the nonsense they like to go on about every once in a while, makes them feel real important,lol

Al Capone
eddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-14, 04:09 PM   #32
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red October1984 View Post
Iran trying to threaten us?

I triple dog dare you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vienna View Post
Iran? "Go away, kid, ya bother me"....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Betonov View Post
Teheran is counting on that. Don't take the bait
Lest, like Isandlwana and Little Big Horn, we underestimate the seemingly inferior enemy, I think were already down one. A principle rule of Islamic warfare is always 'Eye for eye' http://www.spiritoftruth.org/missile.html Naturally all variations of this version are surmise but it's also clear to even a dummy like me that the government version is an absolute joke, political cover-up and FBI falsehood. The USS Vincennes shot down the Iran Air 2655 and the price has been paid at Long Island, TWA 800, and possibly at Lockerbie as well. After 9/11, I don't like falling for the unthinkable...twice. The 'death of a thousand cuts' tactic of islam is real doable with a Stinger, now in the hands of mujahidin; A true fire and forget...They fire-we forget!
Aktungbby is online   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-14, 04:30 PM   #33
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie View Post
Like Oberon says this is a non issue. Doesn't mean anything except to those in Iran who follow the hardliners. They said the same thing before, and nothing happened. Ranks right down there with the news they sent out last year, when they claimed they put a monkey in space, when they claimed they have made a cruise missle that can't be detected by radar, the new super sonic stealth jet fighter they displayed for all the world to see, just part of the nonsense they like to go on about every once in a while, makes them feel real important,lol
Agreed

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is online   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-14, 07:42 PM   #34
Alex
Dominant Wolf

Downloads: 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red October1984 View Post
Iran trying to threaten us?

I triple dog dare you.
Of course not.
They just want to get a bit close to your eastern coast, so to deliver a message to your nation. Iran sent those ships in the Atlantic ocean following actions from your own military forces in the Persian gulf. Don't forget your 5th fleet is anchored off Bahrain, that basically is a threat to Iran, since this country considers the Persian gulf as its backyard (is that inappropriate, all in all ?).
The US navy drill in the Persian gulf was kind of a reply to Iran after the country threatened to close the strait of Hormuz if the iranian interests were affected, and/or if Israel were to hit any iranian nuclear site.

In fact, to Iran, making arrangements doesn't mean the country is going to lower its guard. For Tehran, coming to agreements with the West means a cessation of hostilities, and in no way an alliance, since Iranians are familiar with US imperialism more than any other people.
Old 02-11-14, 09:41 PM   #35
Terragon
Sailor man

Downloads: 12

Kind of a stupid idea. Two groups of enemy ships, in close proximity (you know that the US Navy will crowd them and breath down their necks), and you invite 'accidents'. Not only do you have ships staring at each others' throats, you have the close proximity of naval aircraft.

Think Lexington. Think the Cuban Missile Crisis.

VERY stupid idea.
Old 02-11-14, 09:49 PM   #36
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terragon View Post
(you know that the US Navy will crowd them and breath down their necks)
Probably. I think the better idea would be to - as long as they stay in international waters - to just ignore them. It's not like we don't know exactly where they are every minute of the day, and it's not like we can't do something the instant they do. On top of that, I can't think of anything more humiliating than acting like they're not even there.
Old 02-11-14, 10:16 PM   #37
Oberon
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 61
Uploads: 20

Alex makes a valid point, it's not as if the US navy hasn't paraded outside Iranian waters before, so what's sauce for the goose. It's not as if Iran can do anything, as Stealhead and Aktungbby point out, Iran can hurt the US far more just outside Iranian waters than it can just outside American waters. This is just a political message for the hardliners in the Iranian government, those who are probably annoyed at some of the more conciliatory tone that the new Iranian leader has shown to the west.
Oberon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-14, 12:28 AM   #38
Red October1984
Airplane Nerd

Downloads: 115

Quote:
Kind of a stupid idea. Two groups of enemy ships, in close proximity (you know that the US Navy will crowd them and breath down their necks), and you invite 'accidents'. Not only do you have ships staring at each others' throats, you have the close proximity of naval aircraft.

VERY stupid idea.
+1

I thought Reagan basically sank their entire Navy already...I know that was a while back...and I really don't think the Iranians want a fight with us (at least not right away)
Old 02-12-14, 06:13 AM   #39
Platapus
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 63

Quote:

VERY stupid idea.
Well as long as the American Navy does not do anything stupid like crowding ships in international waters, there should not be any problems.

In my best Captain Ramius imitation: "We get some buckaroo....."

Old 02-12-14, 09:23 AM   #40
Betonov
Navy Seal

Downloads: 26

I also agree with Alex on this one.

Teheran wants to provoke the US into a response and then go the usual anti-US rhetoric about the big bully that stomps on the gardens of everyone else and starts shooting as soon as someone else steps on it.

Imagine if a US warship would send a boat full of cookies to Iranian ships
Ahmadinejab would hang himself
Betonov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-14, 10:13 AM   #41
Dread Knot
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 84

Where was all this commotion when the Nepalese Navy visited last week?

Dread Knot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-14, 11:01 AM   #42
MH
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 248

Quote:
Teheran wants to provoke the US into a response and then go the usual anti-US rhetoric about the big bully that stomps on the gardens of everyone else and starts shooting as soon as someone else steps on it.
It is about latest change in rhetorics from teheran.
There had been too much smileys lately so that seems like a anti puke therapy for some.
Ahmadinejad went home not so long ago.
Celebrations of the islamic revolution might be a cause as well..

I don't think anyone is expecting any serious response from USA or is interested in one at this time.
It is simply dick waving for internal purposes and all the groupies.

Cookies might help here a lot...
MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-14, 02:24 PM   #43
Mr Quatro
Navy Seal

Downloads: 0

These Iranians are up to no good ... I think this is a way to show the USN that they can float a boat in our backyard and get away with it.

I have often thought we should get out of their backyard and let them have the Persian Gulf all to themselves . I can't get anyone to agree with me of course ...

What is Bahrain called anyway the Fifth Fleet or Fleet five or something like that.

Let them have control of it and save a USN ship or two. We have long range support aircraft and missiles that can reach that far. Were just showing a red flag to them.

One Iranian submarine laying a mine that reacts to say an aircraft carrier passing through the straits would be a reason to leave.

They might even figure out how to load a diesel submarine and it's crew on a warship that visits Cuba or Venezuela offloading it to scout around undetected.

If I (an arm chair admiral) can think of it so can they.
Mr Quatro is offline   Reply With Quote