SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 5 > Silent Hunter Online
Forget password? Reset here

Old 05-24-13, 10:50 PM   #106
TorpX
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 153
Uploads: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebeasle View Post
I don't see how buying the Silent Hunter IP or source code or hiring an existing studio makes any sense.
Why not? When your light goes out, do you re-invent the light bulb, or buy one of those proven Edison jobs?
TorpX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-13, 03:42 AM   #107
raymond6751
Admirable Mike

Downloads: 421
Uploads: 0
Default wow

[quote]
Originally Posted by Heinrich Liebe
Ubisoft's SHO? No thanks UBI!
Successor of Dangerous Waters? I have no hope!

And this is why: I Build my own simulator

Title of the Project: Submarine Simulator - The challenge. [quote]

I can see this is a work of love. Congratulations! Every subsimmers dream is to have a physical control system like that. We just can dream. Few could afford to purchase that much hardware.

You have taken on a huge challenge, my friend. I wish you all the best with it.
Old 05-25-13, 03:54 AM   #108
thebeasle
Watch

Downloads: 73
Uploads: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorpX View Post
Why not? When your light goes out, do you re-invent the light bulb, or buy one of those proven Edison jobs?
My guess is any one of those things would cost 6 figures and don't lend themselves to a kickstarter campaign (may not even be allowed by the rules). I mean someone has to own the IP, someone has to own the source code (unless they vow to make to turn it over to open source). You raise funds to hire a development studio, but then who owns the game? Who takes responsibility for sales, marketing and distribution? Who gets the sales revenue?

There are a whole host of issues that I think makes crowd-sourcing those three options difficult if not impossible. I could be wrong. Software development is not my profession or expertise.
Old 05-25-13, 06:51 PM   #109
Nexus7
Commander

Downloads: 2

I would like to turn the discussion into "the future of submarine warfare", the future of the silent service.

the future is the space.
If airborne becomes undetectable, whats the advantage of the slow submarines?
Old 05-25-13, 09:17 PM   #110
desertstriker
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 998

submarines are not that slow some can reach up to 40 knots and more IIRC. Besides they have several tactical advantages that still make them indisposable.

Besides no mater how much people want to think there is a such thing as total stealth there is no such thing as total stealth. Using optcal camaflog that presents a picture of what is behind you and around you (i cant remember the name of it) leaves a distortion and you still have a shadow and a smell for dogs to pick up, radar stealth you still have a cross section and for submarines you still have some sort of noise. In the movie Hunt for Red October the sub had the magnetohydrodynamic drive (MHD for short) nicknamed the caterpillar well not to say the sounds they where supposed to hear wouldn't happen you would still have the sound of the water being forced for example.
desertstriker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-13, 12:47 PM   #111
Minoslas
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 3

Eagle dynamics can be convert on a (far) future on a option for a naval simulator.

Naval units can be implemented into Digital Combat Simulator: World (only a year live) with some engine limitations (for now), but the future EDGE engine and if some can be make a 3rd party. DCS:World engine can be include Low to High fidelity aircraft's, Helos, vehicles and ships (for now DCS:W only have ED / 3rd Party aircrafts and Helos, but expected more in the future).

3D models make by 3D Max 2012 and beyond can be integrate into DCS:W by LUA files (or convert on C+/DLL by a 3rd party). The bad part has be actual DCS:W no support submarine warfare or naval underwater environment, but adequate pressure (modders and / or 3rd Parties) can be change them. For now ASuW and AAW warfare can be simulated (with some limits).

Some features has been implemented by requirement (example: future troop / cargo capability into helos on UH-1H / Mil Mi-8 modules, Multicrew post on aircraft / helos (UH-1H pilot / copilots / gunners, and some training aircrafts (Bae Hawk / L-39 / C-101) double command trainer, or improved carrier operations on future F-18C/E modules).

With time, work and patience, can be some similar spectrum to Dangerous Waters. And actual module Combined Arms expected on the future a "similar" capability to old "Fleet Command" with the inclusion of the naval units to give command and take control.

And not only can limit to "modern" envirotment. WW2 aircrafts (P-51D and FW-190D-9 modules) open the to U-boat operations on WW2 maps

-------------------------
Commander 21squad Harpoon International Community site
http://www.21squad.com
Minoslas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-13, 09:34 AM   #112
Kapitan_Phillips
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 202

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexus7 View Post
I would like to turn the discussion into "the future of submarine warfare", the future of the silent service.

the future is the space.
If airborne becomes undetectable, whats the advantage of the slow submarines?
Submarines are rather more self sufficient than aircraft, I would think. Also, if I were to pick one of the top three "Bomb these first" targets for an attack, airbases would be way up there.

Whereas not knowing where an SSBN may be lurking until it's launched throws a spanner into my plans somewhat.
Old 06-01-13, 01:56 PM   #113
denis_469
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 134

I think, that Ubisoft need made patch 1.6 for SHIII, so:
1 - SH III is best game in series
2 - SH III is best game for modding

And so in patch need made:
1 - support memory to 256 Gb
2 - support videomemory to 256 Gb
3 - delete limit planes in air (now 50 planes, if more so crash)
4 - made insert 200 submarine types (it is easy, so now all limited number submarine types for gamers) total
5 - made insert more flotillia (now see p.4)
6 - made insert other countries (like USSR, British, Poland, France, Japan for example). In new countryes made flotillias and few boats for gamers (more would be made community himself) and few AI ships like targets for subs this countryes (more wold be made by community himself)
7 - game not need connect with Internet for work
8 - made insert 200 (or more) weapon types for submarines, so would be submarines various states and need more weapon types
9 - insert normal homing torpedoes with realistic data. This data can see this: http://sovpl.forum24.ru/?1-4-0-00000051-000-0-0
especially for german T-V torpedoes.
10 - not need insert in new patch US submarines, so in this case sell SH IV would be kill total
11 - may be more after.

And last - new patch with it launch new interes in Silent Hunter serie, so SH III receive new features. New features is new interest and new prosuct sell for company Ubisoft.
denis_469 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-13, 10:30 PM   #114
desertstriker
Eternal Patrol

I agree with you denis the only problem is ubi has abandond SH3 and without seeing alot of money they won't consider reopening it. Also think about all of the excelent megamods that we have now think about all of the hours of work that could potentialy be blown sky high because of such a patch
Old 06-01-13, 11:42 PM   #115
denis_469
Seasoned Skipper

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertstriker View Post
Iproblem is ubi has abandond SH3 and without seeing alot of money they won't consider reopening it.
Without reopening SH III Ubisoft kill serie Silent Hunter. SH V is real vision in future Silent Hunter series in it time.
And for money - new patch Ubisoft can sell like new geame (f.e SH VI) and like free patch for gamers what have SH III yet. Now have many peoples who not have SH III, so this game launch in 2005 year. Now is 2013 year. And new selling SH III in new mark (like SH VI) would be good.

Last edited by denis_469; 06-02-13 at 12:02 AM.
Old 06-02-13, 12:07 AM   #116
desertstriker
Eternal Patrol

yeah try convincing them of that. we could do it ourselves if we had the SDK but again ubi only cares about $$$$
Old 06-02-13, 12:18 AM   #117
denis_469
Seasoned Skipper

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertstriker View Post
yeah try convincing them of that.
Really SH serie is dead, so Ubisoft can not made nothing more. Ubi wish $ and so made SG V, but receive total failure. In SH V Ubi not think about peoples, but about money only. But money not need this game. This game need for peoples. And without understand in Ubi this reasons this company can not made nothing in this Silent hunter serie.
Old 06-02-13, 04:03 AM   #118
Nexus7
Commander

Downloads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by denis_469 View Post
Really SH serie is dead, so Ubisoft can not made nothing more. Ubi wish $ and so made SG V, but receive total failure.
It's not dead... there's SHO. Going online opens for a huge number of possibilities.
I mean, it could be worse. What if Ubi totally abandoned the subsim genre?!

What will SHO be actually? And further, what could SHO2 be like in maybe 2 years? SHO3 ?
Old 06-02-13, 09:03 AM   #119
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexus7 View Post
there's SHO.
How much money are you willing to spend on upgrades, extra torpedoes and whatever else they charge for?
Old 06-02-13, 12:20 PM   #120
Vince82
Engineer

Downloads: 34

I've played the beta, SHO is free. But people that want to spend money have the option to do so. Besides you don't have to battle each other. SHO is about working together as a wolfpack.

Last edited by Vince82; 06-02-13 at 02:25 PM.
Vince82 is offline   Reply With Quote