SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Current crop of subsims & naval games > Crash Dive & Crash Dive II
Forget password? Reset here

Old 07-19-19, 09:47 AM   #16
jaop99
Loader

Downloads: 25
Uploads: 0

Nice game! are you using any comercial free engine for the graphics? like Unity or Unreal?
jaop99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-19, 10:58 AM   #17
PanicEnsues
Dev Team

Downloads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaop99 View Post
Nice game! are you using any comercial free engine for the graphics? like Unity or Unreal?
I'm using Unity (same as Crash Dive).
Old 07-22-19, 09:37 AM   #18
jaop99
Loader

Downloads: 25

Yeah is a good engine (BattleTech and many games use it), even VS have a standard project to build apps with Unity, congrats mate!
jaop99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-19, 11:49 AM   #19
kolc
Watch

Downloads: 9
Default Looking forward...

Very interested in seeing this and improvements to the game...providing more depth around game play regarding finding and tracking of targets would be what I would like to see more of....
kolc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-19, 09:00 PM   #20
PanicEnsues
Dev Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by kolc View Post
Very interested in seeing this and improvements to the game...providing more depth around game play regarding finding and tracking of targets would be what I would like to see more of....
I think you'll like the changes then. Rather than the randomly-spawned convoys from Crash Dive, the new game will have active shipping traffic in your assigned patrol zone; you'll need to use your radar, lookouts, and common sense to find them and sink them.
Old 07-24-19, 06:27 AM   #21
kolc
Watch

Downloads: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanicEnsues View Post
I think you'll like the changes then. Rather than the randomly-spawned convoys from Crash Dive, the new game will have active shipping traffic in your assigned patrol zone; you'll need to use your radar, lookouts, and common sense to find them and sink them.
...ok now I am hooked...RADAR!

kolc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-19, 07:58 AM   #22
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Downloads: 532
Uploads: 224

Quote:
I'm debating whether to eliminate the fire arc limitation that Crash Dive has, and would love to hear feedback.

I know that the Mark 14/15/18's gyroscopes allowed setting an angle that the torpedo would turn to after launch; but was there a practical limitation to that? E.g., would they ever fire a torpedo with a 90-degree offset? If so, I could just let the player fire at any relative bearing (from whichever torpedo room is within the 180-degree arc).

Yes, I would allow the player to fire within a 90 arc, but the degree of error would increase.

For more, refer to https://maritime.org/doc/attack/index.htm
810. ANALYSIS OF TORPEDO FIRING and 811. CURVED FIRE
Old 07-29-19, 08:29 AM   #23
UnderWaterGamer
Mate

Downloads: 22
Uploads: 2

Hello Scott!

Here are just a few questions/recommendations on the gameplay:

- Will there be a manual AA gun station? (since planes are added in)
- Will there be a TDC or a way of getting ship data manually e.g. A stopwatch, a range finder...?
- Will there be a possibility to go from room to room in the sub? ( just one view of the room, but you can look around and interact with stuff...)?
- Same with the deck and conning tower
- Will there be a hydrophone station?

Hope's this can give you some ideas on making an awesome sequel (it's looking very good and promising so far!)

Can't wait for the game release

Good luck with the programming and modeling!

Happy Hunting

UWG
Old 07-29-19, 10:39 AM   #24
PanicEnsues
Dev Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnderWaterGamer View Post
- Will there be a manual AA gun station? (since planes are added in)
Yes; my goal is to basically integrate my other mobile game, "Tail Gun Charlie", to provide the AA gunnery system. Though I may regret that once I actually start working on it and see what a nightmare it becomes...

Quote:
- Will there be a TDC or a way of getting ship data manually e.g. A stopwatch, a range finder...?
There is a TDC that will take care of targeting as long as you have visual contact (and have it turned on); otherwise, you'll have to use the "intersecting paths & times" manual targeting system from Crash Dive.

Quote:
- Will there be a possibility to go from room to room in the sub? ( just one view of the room, but you can look around and interact with stuff...)?
No. While it would be immersive, creating interior spaces wouldn't add to gameplay, and I just don't have the resources to build them all out.

Quote:
- Same with the deck and conning tower
Just the bridge, where you will use binoculars for spotting and TBT targeting when surfaced.

Quote:
- Will there be a hydrophone station?
Yes, but indirectly; data from sound, sonar, spotting, and radar are all combined into the "Chart View", where either precise or estimated enemy ship positions will be displayed based on what can be detected.

Thanks for the notes!

-Scott
Old 07-29-19, 01:00 PM   #25
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Quote:
No. While it would be immersive, creating interior spaces wouldn't add to gameplay, and I just don't have the resources to build them all out.
SO, A COMPROMISE: ALL THE IMMERSIVE KALEUN REALLY NEEDS IS TO GET FROM THE CENTRALLE UP THE LADDER TO THE BRIDGE; ATTACK SCOPE/TDC; AND BACK AGAIN WITH AN OCCASIONAL JUNKET TO THE DECK GUN AS IN SH-V. ALL THE OTHER AMBLING AROUND WAS USELESS ANYWAY.

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-19, 10:46 AM   #26
PurpleCow
A-ganger

Downloads: 16
Default Very much looking forward to Crash Dive 2

I purchased Crash Dive a while back and it has been great. An easy purchase to recommend to others. I am very much looking forward to Crash Dive 2. The iPad makes such an inviting platform to play games on I am very happy to see developers working with it.

Do you find the memory limitations of iOS devices to be much of a hindrance? I know the CPU is pretty fast but I have always wondered why so few games like Crash Dive and Silent Service are produced. The iPad adoption rate seems very large but there must be a reason why games like CMANO, Cold Waters, and Dangerous Waters are not ported over.

Would you ever consider a more modern sub/ship simulator in the same vein as Dangerous Waters? Something where sonar, sound and detection comes to the forefront?

One other aspect I would love to see would be a sub game that integrates a real TDC. A game where you had to calculate the mast height, course, and speed of a target so you cud generate a firing solutions. Also something that included realistic underwater hydrophones to detect incoming destroyers and depth charges.

Thanks for taking my suggestions and questions!
PurpleCow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-19, 08:49 PM   #27
PanicEnsues
Dev Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleCow View Post
I purchased Crash Dive a while back and it has been great.
Thanks, glad you enjoyed it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleCow View Post
Do you find the memory limitations of iOS devices to be much of a hindrance? I know the CPU is pretty fast but I have always wondered why so few games like Crash Dive and Silent Service are produced. The iPad adoption rate seems very large but there must be a reason why games like CMANO, Cold Waters, and Dangerous Waters are not ported over.
While iPads have enough memory and horsepower to run a very good game, they don't have the limitless power of a desktop computer or modern console, so you have to be willing to put in the time to squeeze every drop of performance out of your assets and code.

But the real limiting factor is that you can't make an *iPad* game; if you actually want to reach a worthwhile-sized player base, your game has to run on the vast majority of mobile devices out there (including iPhones and the huge range of Android phones.

That said, I do find that, as a solo developer, I prefer making mobile games; the fact that you can do pretty much anything in a PC game means that you kind of have to do everything (because that's what PC players will expect). So developing PC games takes waaaay longer, because every little task requires so much polish and detail.

Thanks for your game ideas and suggestions, I appreciate it!
Old 08-02-19, 03:16 PM   #28
PurpleCow
A-ganger

Downloads: 16

Quote:
Thanks, glad you enjoyed it!
But the real limiting factor is that you can't make an *iPad* game; if you actually want to reach a worthwhile-sized player base, your game has to run on the vast majority of mobile devices out there (including iPhones and the huge range of Android phones.
!
Certainly understandable. For what it is worth I personally don't need games to be super cheap in order to purchase them. I think Civilization 6 is an excellent example. Yes, the game was expensive, but it was worth it because it was so well done. I think a lot of people feel the same way. If we have an iPad we recognize that good hardware costs money and are willing to pay it. I think the same applies to software.
PurpleCow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-19, 01:08 PM   #29
skirich
Chief

Downloads: 75

Want it. Take my money already!
skirich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-19, 01:57 PM   #30
swellfella
Seaman

Downloads: 465
Support

Quote:
my other mobile game, "Tail Gun Charlie"

Ya kiddin' me! Did that just fly by in passing...You do that? 1 dev? TGC is in my estimation one of the classic underrated mobile Air-sim shooters --incidentally encompassing my fav genre outside sub-sims: B-17 airships (still rocking Flying Fortress to this day).

For the clueless, in TGC you tail-gun a B-17, popping 109s, etc, as they swarm in at all angles. You rack of points and promotions, bonus flack defenses and other goodies to aid you as faster and sturdier air-ships level up against you. You aim and fire by touch or, optionally, my fav, gyroscope.

It's a ton of fun and not as facile as it first seems. Anyway, just wanna say it blew me away when I saw you were behind that as well as CD. Which all points to we all being well-grounded in looking forward to something special in CD2! All I can say is, Beam me up, Mr. Scott.