SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 09-07-20, 02:06 PM   #1
Bubblehead1980
Navy Seal

Downloads: 550
Uploads: 42

Default New Depth Charges for TMO

TMO New Depth Charges
by:Bubblehead1980

This mod modifies the depth charges in TMO for realism and better player experience. Always disliked how depth charges are portrayed in SH 4 and TMO, amazing of a mod as it is, inherited this legacy problem.Depth charges destroyed submarines by beating a sub into submission so to speak, making key systems (pumps etc) inoperable, causing leaks and so on until sub was forced to surface or could not and was lost due to various system failures.

On rare occasion, they actually hit the sub or exploded so close, they could crack the hull, blow it apart etc. Of course Allies were better at this, so this (of course) is geared towards IJN depth charge performance as this is the PTO.

I have modified the depth charge files so that the "golden BB" killing blow is rare. TMO for example had max hit points of its depth charges quite high, 150-180 hit points if I recall (most bulkheads and equipment max hit points are 100 to be destroyed) and with its large patterns, would nearly always just destroy the submarine. Problem is, the random factor would have the max hit points at 4 meters ranging from 70-180 depending on the distance, so sometimes a charge could land on the deck exploded and sub take minor damage, other times a couple detonate 2 meters off side of sub, and bam bulkheads destroyed etc. This mod modifies the files so that depth charges rarely provide that "golden bb" or "killing blow" but instead destroy key systems etc. This is accomplished by several changes. TMO remains deadly as ever with this, just accomplished differently, in a more historically accurate manner.

Please see the full README. Link is below.

https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/dow...o=file&id=5654

Last edited by Bubblehead1980; 09-07-20 at 02:14 PM.
Bubblehead1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-20, 06:35 PM   #2
Strykr
Mate

Downloads: 1076
Uploads: 0

Thank you Bubblehead 1980.
I will try this out, and look forward to your Ship Pack.
Strykr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-20, 10:13 AM   #3
Macgregor the Hammer
Chief

Downloads: 534
Uploads: 1

I believe many of us get an unrealistic concept of depth charges from Hollywood. Watching old WW2 sub movies, we see an 'ashcan' float down and explode with a sphere of bubbles and the sub rocks about. Quite often, the depth charge is shown 10-20 ft and inside the sub, a fitting wiill start leaking or a hatch is sprung.

Here are some of the figures of 'real' depth charges. A Type 95 220lb depth charge using ammonium perchlorate and ferrosilicate detonating at:

60ft Significant damage
30ft Disable the sub
15ft Will buckle the pressure hull.

These figures shorten the deeper the sub is.

My father who retired as a Senior Chief Machinist Mate had a friend who was in fleet boats during the war spoke of nose bleeds, ruptured eardrums, broken bones and concussions during a depth charge attacks.

I'm looking forward to another level of reality !

Thanks Bubblehead
Old 09-27-20, 12:35 PM   #4
Bubblehead1980
Navy Seal

Downloads: 550
Uploads: 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macgregor the Hammer View Post
I believe many of us get an unrealistic concept of depth charges from Hollywood. Watching old WW2 sub movies, we see an 'ashcan' float down and explode with a sphere of bubbles and the sub rocks about. Quite often, the depth charge is shown 10-20 ft and inside the sub, a fitting wiill start leaking or a hatch is sprung.

Here are some of the figures of 'real' depth charges. A Type 95 220lb depth charge using ammonium perchlorate and ferrosilicate detonating at:

60ft Significant damage
30ft Disable the sub
15ft Will buckle the pressure hull.

These figures shorten the deeper the sub is.

My father who retired as a Senior Chief Machinist Mate had a friend who was in fleet boats during the war spoke of nose bleeds, ruptured eardrums, broken bones and concussions during a depth charge attacks.

I'm looking forward to another level of reality !

Thanks Bubblehead
Exactly why I made this mod, bring about some sense of reality to the primary asw weapon players encounter. After running several patrols with the mod, I believe that it is as good as it gets within the parameters of this sim.
Bubblehead1980 is offline   Reply With Quote