SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 05-05-20, 04:44 PM   #1
XenonSurf
Sea Lord

Downloads: 107
Uploads: 4
Default Deck gun damaged without reason

So I got a Japanese freighter sunk by a torpedo hit and subsequent deck gun usage, I could hear some impacts on my sub because the freighter was armed, but nothing serious. The freighter then sunk, and I was getting away at full speed, then returning towards my objective point for releasing a spy in Japanese territory. After some time I have saved the game in a different slot.

Note that after the sinking I have checked the damage report section, nothing was in red.

When I reload my save I get immediately a warning about my deck gun damaged and it is now red in the damage report section. What's up? Also repairing it seems to have no success, I have manned the gun with the best technicians (Gun rating, mechanical rating), but to no avail. Not sure if the gun still works, I will have to try out by shooting some shells.

Is this one of the many bugs that can happen?

Thanks,
XS
XenonSurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-20, 05:20 PM   #2
XenonSurf
Sea Lord

I forgot to say: I'm playing with TMO wTw 2.5 + OTF.
Old 05-05-20, 07:00 PM   #3
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Location: Chicago area, which is more dangerous than Omaha Beach.
Downloads: 431
Uploads: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by XenonSurf View Post
So I got a Japanese freighter sunk by a torpedo hit and subsequent deck gun usage, I could hear some impacts on my sub because the freighter was armed, but nothing serious. The freighter then sunk, and I was getting away at full speed, then returning towards my objective point for releasing a spy in Japanese territory. After some time I have saved the game in a different slot.

Note that after the sinking I have checked the damage report section, nothing was in red.

When I reload my save I get immediately a warning about my deck gun damaged and it is now red in the damage report section. What's up? Also repairing it seems to have no success, I have manned the gun with the best technicians (Gun rating, mechanical rating), but to no avail. Not sure if the gun still works, I will have to try out by shooting some shells.

Is this one of the many bugs that can happen?

Thanks,
XS
never experienced that before.
it is entirely possible that you took damage while trying to sink the merchie with your deck gun.
i HAVE experienced situations where the game gets backlogged with events that are either
  1. announced well after the fact or
  2. the announcement is lost in the busy-ness.
i suspect that the latter situation happened to you.
if you check the vertical bar in the deck gun equipment box (yeah, the one that is red), you will probably find it reads 1. that means the deck gun is toast. you will not be able to use it until you dock at home port after the mission.
do use the deck gun unless you are at least 7000 or 8000 yds/m away from the target. keep repeating this to yourself. write on a Post-It, in your native language, and stick it on your monitor.
lecture over. go back and have fun.
good luck. (stay away from the deck gun)

------------------------------------------------------------
Silent Hunter 4 1.5 Gold Edition on CDROM
LAA enabled
Dell XPS with 32 GB Ram running Win10
KaleunMarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-20, 09:26 PM   #4
XenonSurf
Sea Lord

After continuing game it comes out that the deck gun still fully works, I had to use it against another freighter and it worked like a charm when manning the gun and ordering attack by binocular. BTW I play with a Narwhal class sub that has 2 deck guns, forgetting that I did uselessly turn my sub around

After un-manning the gun the red damage mark has disappeared, i guess by manning the gun the crew will do repairs (instead of forming a damage repair crew). That's good to know for the future. Or maybe it was a glitch due to the Narwhal class sub which is a modded sub that is not in the stock game AFAIK, I can't remember wether the stock game has any subs with 2 deck guns, I think not.

XS

Last edited by XenonSurf; 05-05-20 at 09:36 PM.
Old 05-05-20, 10:32 PM   #5
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Quote:
BTW I play with a Narwhal class sub that has 2 deck guns, forgetting that I did uselessly turn my sub around
that is an interesting fact.
by now, you probably are aware that you can man only one of the two deck guns. it is possible that the gun that was destroyed was NOT the gun you can man and control?

in any case, it is good to have a working weapon. i have seen instances where a deck gun or flak gun shows that it is still disabled and when i assign a crewman with some Gun skills, the weapon returns to working.

LAA enabled
Old 05-06-20, 03:47 AM   #6
Col7777
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 222
Uploads: 0

@Marco,

That is interesting about only managing one deck gun if you have two.
When I play using a ship that has many deck guns and cannons, when I encounter the enemy I set the crew to the deck gun/s they all fire depending on which side of the ship the enemy is on of course.

As for the delayed message, I have on occasion been in a battle sank the ships then moved on many miles from the scene then got a message, 'Torpedo Impact'

Col.

Silent and Violent
Col7777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-20, 08:32 AM   #7
XenonSurf
Sea Lord

I can man both deck guns with TMO+OTF, in the crew management there are 2 groups of slots with 4 men to man both guns. I cannot say wether during combat BOTH deck guns will fire if they are manned and ordered to their stations, for trying this I would have to get in a lateral position against a target, so that both guns have a free fire line, I will do this in one of the training missions to see - if I can tweak the mission to have a Narwhal.

According to the Narwhal mod readme (Psuedo Narwhal Version 1.3), what I cannot do is controlling both deck guns in 1st person myself, but only 1 of the guns, there is no mean to swap position like with a AA gun. However the readme doesn't say wether both do work in automatic or not.

XS

Last edited by XenonSurf; 05-06-20 at 08:40 AM.
Old 05-06-20, 12:56 PM   #8
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Quote:
According to the Narwhal mod readme (Psuedo Narwhal Version 1.3), what I cannot do is controlling both deck guns in 1st person myself, but only 1 of the guns, there is no mean to swap position like with a AA gun. However the readme doesn't say wether both do work in automatic or not.
THAT is what i meant. Man=Control in the first person through the game interface.

we got there in the end.

LAA enabled
Old 05-06-20, 03:44 PM   #9
XenonSurf
Sea Lord

Here's a nice screenshot showing both my deck guns firing in auto... against a heavy cruiser, well, that's for showing you, not because I'm optimistic to sink him

https://ibb.co/kHN6cm6

Greetings,
XS
Old 05-06-20, 04:37 PM   #10
Mios 4Me
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 38
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Here's a nice screenshot showing both my deck guns firing in auto... against a heavy cruiser, well, that's for showing you, not because I'm optimistic to sink him
Maybe if you were in the Surcouf instead...

Mios 4Me is offline   Reply With Quote