SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 08-23-13, 07:44 AM   #1
SilentEnigma
Nub

Downloads: 8
Uploads: 0
Massive destroyer convoy

Hi all,

Over the last few days I have restarted playing SH4 (with the U-Boat add on, vanilla) on the American campaign. During my latest patrol - the Battle of the Coral Sea takes place a day or so after I leave port - I have saw something, well, funky.

After dropping off an agent on the southern coast of Japan I was ordered to patrol off Honshu Island. I took this opportunity to infiltrate Tokyo Bay and take out a few of the IJN big ships. As I was leaving the bay I dived after receiving a sonar hit on an incoming warship. As I crept away deep under the thermal layer I used the external cam to have a looksee and discovered a convoy of about 30 destroyers. Neat lines of destroyers all heading into the bay. Gave me the impression the AI was out for revenge on the loss of a BB and CA. Needless to say I stayed out the way of them.

I saved a short while later. I reloaded later on to discover my save game was corrupted (from what I have read online, most likely due to the above huge task force). So I am replaying the patrol and now. I am heading towards Tokyo Bay, passing Toyohama, and I have just discovered another huge task force. This one is comprised of - if I have not miscounted or missed any - about 65 destroyers! That is in the range of about half the historical total number of destroyers Japan had in the war, if I am not mistaken.

So, my question (to finally get around to it): what gives? Does anyone know what the hell is going on?
SilentEnigma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-13, 08:52 AM   #2
c13Garrison
Ensign

Downloads: 14

Good grief! I've never seen anything like that. Are they in a mass, or steaming line ahead like they know what they're doing?

I'd have to say its a clear very bizzare glitch. I suppose its up to you to decide to play around it or re-install.

However, welcome back!
c13Garrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-13, 09:12 AM   #3
fred8615
Saint of the seas

Downloads: 265
Uploads: 127

I used to on occasion run into HUGE TFs that slowed my computer to a crawl. I eventually figured out it was something in the Game Fixes Only mod, so I uninstalled it and haven't had that problem since.

If you don't have GFO though, I don't know what to tell you.
fred8615 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-13, 09:15 AM   #4
SilentEnigma
Nub

Downloads: 8

Thanks for the welcome back.

It does seem whenever I get anywhere close to them, my game lags out and I presume (per my first post and a bit of looking around) is what caused my initial save game to crash. On my rerun of the patrol I have took a massive detour to get around them and saved again and this time the save loads. So for now I am just avoiding them. I haven't seen them before this patrol, and I am hoping I don't see them after.

The first one of 30 looked like a regular convoy, six neat lines of five. All steaming into the bay in order. The second convoy was a little bit more jumbled up. It looked like groups of 5-8 destroyers in some form of formation with 1 or 2 on patrol around it. Then of course they were all on top of one another forming one huge mass of destroyers. But again, they were all steaming in the same direction.

I tried to get a screenshot of the second one, but the file refuses to open. Says it is unrecognizable, even though it is a .bmp and was taken via using ctrl+F11 (regular old printscreen just resulted in white page).
SilentEnigma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-13, 09:56 AM   #5
Webster
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fred8615 View Post
I used to on occasion run into HUGE TFs that slowed my computer to a crawl. I eventually figured out it was something in the Game Fixes Only mod, so I uninstalled it and haven't had that problem since.

If you don't have GFO though, I don't know what to tell you.
might be a stock bug I don't recall anyone ever reporting this problem before, did you also have RSRDC installed?

just delete the campaign folder from GFO mod to fix it, the campaign changes within it are small and wont be missed. if it goes away its a GFO bug, if not then its a stock game or (if used) a RSRDC bug
Old 08-23-13, 10:00 AM   #6
Admiral Halsey
Best Admiral in the USN

Downloads: 298

I have seen this in stock. It's really rare so if you can avoid it you should be just fine next patrol.
Admiral Halsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-13, 10:05 AM   #7
Armistead
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 364

It's usually a bug or error made, probably should've been 3, but got a 0 put on it. There have been other bugs where people spawn docked ships numerous times, so they pile up, but not in this case.

You'll probably run into a few bugged groups with stock and all mods, hard not to make an human error messing with numerous groups.

You see my dog don't like people laughing. He gets the crazy idea you're laughing at him. Now if you apologize like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.
Armistead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-13, 10:26 AM   #8
fred8615
Saint of the seas

Downloads: 265
Uploads: 127

Quote:
Originally Posted by Webster View Post
might be a stock bug I don't recall anyone ever reporting this problem before, did you also have RSRDC installed?
No, I didn't have RSRDC at that time.

Quote:
just delete the campaign folder from GFO mod to fix it, the campaign changes within it are small and wont be missed. if it goes away its a GFO bug, if not then its a stock game or (if used) a RSRDC bug
Like I said, I haven't had the problem since removing GFO.
fred8615 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-20, 07:17 AM   #9
KSCyrus
Watch

Downloads: 172

Sorry to necro, but seriously what the hell is causing this? Am using only GFO and have run into these 30-60 Destroyer Convoys twice in two patrols now.
after which the game is running in basically slow mo ;/, disabling the mod deleting the campaign folder within it and reactivating didn't help either
KSCyrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-20, 07:31 AM   #10
XenonSurf
Sea Lord

Downloads: 107
Uploads: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSCyrus View Post
Sorry to necro, but seriously what the hell is causing this? Am using only GFO and have run into these 30-60 Destroyer Convoys twice in two patrols now.
after which the game is running in basically slow mo ;/, disabling the mod deleting the campaign folder within it and reactivating didn't help either

This game has been heavily modded for a reason, you should not play just stock game because there are tons of bugs or unrealistic behaviors - to know which ones read the GFO readme, this mod has the purpose to correct most of them. I cannot say wether this is a success or not.

I'm playing with this over the U-Boat version 1.5:

1.0 TMO_RSRDC_OTC
1.5_OTC_German PPI Screen
1.5_OTC_Realistic Scopes for 16 to 9 RSRDCv502
2.0 Ralles ModPack for TMO_RSRDC_OTC

This is one example only how you can mod the game, there are others obviously.
RSRDC is a new wirtten campaign, so this mod should avoid your troubles.

XS

Last edited by XenonSurf; 04-16-20 at 07:44 AM.
XenonSurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-20, 07:49 AM   #11
KSCyrus
Watch

Sorry, dont really like Rsrdc as im not a fan of half the pacific being empty as i dont have that much time usually when playing, After all im content with GFO and just dont want to run into those 60 Destroyer Task forces so any hints as to why its happening would be welcomed
Old 04-16-20, 08:24 AM   #12
XenonSurf
Sea Lord

But if you don't have so much time, can't you just close your eyes and go on with the game? You surely realize that this thread is 7 years old, trying to find the solution (why is it not posted?) will make you lose even more time...

Last edited by XenonSurf; 04-16-20 at 08:35 AM.
Old 04-16-20, 08:58 AM   #13
KSCyrus
Watch

How am i supposed to go on with the game if it starts stuttering and becomes unplayable once i run into this problem?, Also if you dont intend to leave any helpful advice as to how to fix it then i think you are wasting more of my time then any game could.
Old 04-16-20, 11:16 AM   #14
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

Be nice now KSCyrus. If you want to waste time, we can delete our posts and ignore you. XenonSurf is trying to lighten the situation with a joke. He offered a suggestion, you don't like it. Fine. Move on. In the meantime, did you empty the Save folder before playing a modded version of the game?

Usually speaking, when a person has issues like described by the OP or you KSCyrus, it is from not emptying the Save folder before playing a new mod, or from not emptying the Save folder after removing a mod, so try deleting the contents of "C:\Users \UserName \Documents \SH4", in which "UserName" is what you log into windows with, and "Documents" might be "My Documents" or similar, depending upon your Windows version. Neither Stock nor GFO have what the FotRSU Mod Team refers to as "Run-A-Way Spawns"

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-20, 03:35 PM   #15
XenonSurf
Sea Lord

There was no joke from my part, I was sincere and not sarcastic, what I mean is: if in 7 years the hardcore players above didn't find a solution then - you can guess there is none or it would have been posted here. That's why I said Cyrus could perhaps lose time...

Now, meanwhile I've taken a look about how to correctly install GFO, it's not that simple, there are patches to correct some missions which cause CTD (maybe the trouble comes from there). Here an extract that could help:

-----------------------------------------
CTD Issues with GFO:

there are CTD issues with a few of the single missions i included in GFO and below i will explain how to fix this:

anyone who uses GFO should manually delete all of the added single missions found in my GFO mod, they have about 6 or 7 with file errors that cause CTD issues that only show up under certain times or conditions so delete the missions that are numbered SM102 thru SM115 in the "singlemissions" folder found in GFO and then place the missions from this mission pack that has the newly fixed versions for all of those missions plus a few extra missions not originally found in GFO group numbered SM102 thru SM115.

get the tambor198 mission pack here: http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=158202
-----------------------------------