SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-29-20, 04:57 PM   #16
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyLadyDown View Post
Would the time compression issue have anything to do with when I save a game and then the next time I start the game when I load a save, it kicks me out of the game and back to steam? I have 3 4 or 5 saves in a row that if I load it will give me a loading screen then kick me out and back to steam. Then I have to start the game again and go down the list of saves until one will load.
Something is "wonking" your game... SH4 generally doesn't need the internet, but check your AV scanner, and see if it's quarantining parts of your game. I kind of doubt that though... What all is running in the background on your computer though? Windows 10 is notorious for interrupting the player unannounced, and downloading Windows Updates "in the background", so check for updates, download and apply, prior to playing. You might also see how big your computer's swap file is, and make certain Windows itself is in good working order, and not "thrashing" as it bumps along, trying to fly. Another problem could be the power settings on your computer, especially if it's a laptop, in that Windows want to "save" energy, so your cpu is usually set to low power settings, and while you might have an i7 with multiple cores and a high frequency, Windows decides that you don't need all of that power, and restricts you to one core, running at half-speed, with the USB buss shut off, while it does its Update stuff on the other three cores... Another thing you might do is consult CapnScurvy's thread "Windows10; Large Address Aware; SH4 Install", and see about using LAA on your Stock SH4 install, and see if there isn't an improvement. You should NOT be having that many Save failures on your system, other than you are running out of RAM (available to the SH4 game), or you have some configuration issue with your computer, or something has corrupted your game install... If you don't have anything you are wanting to keep in your current game, just run the Steam app and log-in. Run the "Verify integrity of game files" utility. Once it is finished (might take it a while), then empty the Save folder ("C:\Users \UserName \Documents \SH4"), if you didn't move it with MultiSH4), run the game and re-set all of your graphics, sound & gameplay settings back to what you want. Exit and re-start the game so those will apply, then try to play. If you are going to do a career, don't forget to set the gameplay settings in the Captain's Office prior to going on patrol. While in the career, do not use "Save Replay" when making a Save, since that can cause huge files. Good luck, and let us know what you do and how you get along with it.

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote