Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Sub/Naval + Other Games > Classic Subsims
Forget password? Reset here

Old 05-17-15, 09:41 AM   #1
Major Johnson
Frogman

Downloads: 25
Uploads: 0
Default SH2/PA install errors

So I'm trying to install PA, following the directions in the readme file, but I'm getting errors with any mod I try to install. First it was the Vickers3.0 mod, something about a missing file, also it was using some Media Flicker download manager, which I suspect was part of the problem, and my AV was warning me about it. Because I got the file from the downloads section I figured it was safe so I disabled my AV, but the mod still won't install.

I decided to bag the Vickers and TorpFX mods and tried to install the Hi-Res Mod. Although it looks like it installs, at the end of the installation I got the following error "The Program can't start because MSVBVM50.DLL is missing from your computer. Try reinstalling the program to fix this problem."

Can I install PA and get these mods working later??

Thanks!

Update:
I was able to install the basic game, and I started a test campaign. Just a few anomalies I'm noticing.
1. The map in the mission briefing is still the map for the Atlantic.
2. When I dive and select F-12 for the outside view, my view is still above the water even though I'm at periscope depth.
3. The mission briefing said I was to patrol in Japanese home waters but my objectives say No Grid in the patrol area, so I'm really not sure where to go.
4. When I click on periscope view, it appears I'm standing a few feet from the periscope rather than looking into it, and I can't see anything. Raising the scope has not affect.

And just a general observation about the map controls in either version of SH2 or PA, there's no scrolling by using the edge of the map as there was with SH1. It makes it rather difficult to set the way points for areas outside the immediate viewing area. Is there some tip I'm missing??

Update:
I decided to start from scratch and totally uninstalled PA and SH2, then cleaned the registry. The directions say to Install SH2, rename the folder, then install the 1.1 patch. Does it matter if I install the patch before or after I rename the folder?

Now here's a stupid question! When it refers to the 1.1 patch, is that the SH2 patch or the PA patch?? I've been installing the SH2 patch!! But it doesn't make any sense to install the PA patch before the installation of PA? Doh!!!!!

I think I need some help with this patch. The default location is not what I renamed the SH2 folder to, which was "D:\Pacific Aces", it was "D:\SH2-PA\Backup"?? Should I redirect the path to where the game actually is installed?? On my first attempt at installing the game I did rename the SH2 folder to SH2-PA. Maybe the install found that somewhere in the registry that didn't get cleaned?

ASUS Sabertooth 990FX R2.0
AMD FX8350 8 Core 4.0 Ghz CPU
GeForce GTX 560 Ti PCIx Video Card
8 GB Corsair Vengence RAM
Rosewill 850W Power Supply

Last edited by Major Johnson; 05-17-15 at 11:37 AM.
Major Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-15, 12:14 PM   #2
aanker
Pacific Thunder

Downloads: 236
Uploads: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Johnson View Post
Update:
I was able to install the basic game, and I started a test campaign. Just a few anomalies I'm noticing.
1. The map in the mission briefing is still the map for the Atlantic.
2. When I dive and select F-12 for the outside view, my view is still above the water even though I'm at periscope depth.
3. The mission briefing said I was to patrol in Japanese home waters but my objectives say No Grid in the patrol area, so I'm really not sure where to go.
4. When I click on periscope view, it appears I'm standing a few feet from the periscope rather than looking into it, and I can't see anything. Raising the scope has not affect.

And just a general observation about the map controls in either version of SH2 or PA, there's no scrolling by using the edge of the map as there was with SH1. It makes it rather difficult to set the way points for areas outside the immediate viewing area. Is there some tip I'm missing??
Something is wrong, did you apply the SH2 patch?

You don't need the high-res patch in PA if you use the procedure I use, I forget why but you won't need it - lol. It has to do with either PA, Project Messerwetzer, or the use of Kriegstanz - can't remember, it has been a long time....

Probably should uninstall and re-install..... I hope you have the SH2 disk, not Steam - I don't use Steam.

Here is the install order I use:
I install to: C:\GAMES\SSI\Pacific Aces. Win 7 doesn't get GAMES confused with its 'Games' folder.

PA seems to need Project Messerwetzer, (to prevent Janus errors).
After realizing that, I did a complete uninstall of PA and SH2 and did a clean re-install of everything in this order:

1. Clean Install of SH2, and rename the folder to 'Pacific Aces' or whatever name you want.
2. Install the official SH2 Patch 1.1
3. Install Vicker's mods: Vickers Oil Slicks and Vickers Fireball Add-on
4. Install Project Messerwetzer to avoid some Janus errors
5. Install PA 1.0, pointing to your 'Pacific Aces' folder. <---- Very important
6. Install PA patch 1.1
7. Install new PA Sound 1.1
8. Install the Glitch fix patch that includes optional dive bubble for Project Messerwetzer
9. Lethal radius mod
(used 5 DepthChargeJP*.ADF files)
10. Active sonar hack ... edited the 10 SonarActive, SonaractiveUS, SonaractiveJapan, etc... files.

This install order has worked since PA was released on every Windows operating system I've had up to and including Win 7 64 bit.

During the install of PA you get the option to overwrite the default scope with the Kollmorgan US scope by Darkstream. I recommend selecting it.

From the Readme:
Quote:
The default scope in Pacific Aces uses a similar structure to the original SHII scope. However when you install Pacific aces you are given the option to overwrite this default scope with the Kollmorgan authentic US scope by Darkstream. Be warned that this scope uses large texture plates and will have trouble running on some systems.

To operate the Kollmorgan scope, raise it ( pageup key) and then click on the small red button (bottom right) in order to go to the zoomed view ( attack periscope). Here you can operate the scope with the arrow keys, and zoom from 1x to 4x and back with the “Z” key.

If you are in “Rig for Red” status it will be necessary to use the command “Secure from Red” before going to the zoomed view, or you will not be able to see anything clearly!
I do run Kriegstanz to start PA, even in Career mode...... kind of like a shell for PA, plus you can create missions and play missions created by other players. Jeff J has written many nice missions for 'almost' every Silent Hunter version I know about: SHCE SH1, SH2, PA, and SH4 ..... maybe SH 3 & 5 too?
Kriegstanz installs to the same \GAMES folder you created to install SH2 & PA:
C:\GAMES\Kriegstanz

If you want both PA and SH2:
Quote:
1) Rename your "Silent Hunter II" install to something else, say "My SHII" or "U-boat".

2) Insert the disc, and select "Uninstall Silent Hunter II". Since the folder has a new name, the only thing that is uninstalled will be the path from the disc to the folder. (nothing is removed, only reg keys)

3) Select "Install Silent Hunter II". Now you will have two installs. You can rename the new one "Pacific Aces" and re-rename the original "Silent Hunter II". Or not, because the name on the folder really doesn't matter.
I zipped both SH2 & PA. The reg key is set already so if my install ever gets corrupted I can easily unzip or un-rar clean installs.

Good luck & Happy Hunting!
Protect each one we ask of thee.
Bless those at home who wait and pray,
For their return by night and day."

Last edited by aanker; 05-17-15 at 01:59 PM.
aanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-15, 12:45 PM   #3
Major Johnson
Frogman

Well I did a clean install, again. I did install the Hi-Res mod, got the same missing DLL error, but the resolution was applied anyway, and I was now able to start the game without and Janus errors.

Just a quick start of a new campaign, and I still can't see through the periscope. The aperture is very small. There is a red button on the lower right that I can click that appears to put my face up against the periscope but the aperture is still tiny. I uninstalled the Hi-Res fix, still no difference. I doubt any of the extra mods you installed will fix that.

I basically have a vanilla install of PA patched to 1.1.

Old 05-17-15, 12:58 PM   #4
Major Johnson
Frogman

I tried installing the Sound 1.1 patch, but it's a batch file. It brought up a cmd prompt it looks like the files were installed somewhere on my C drive.

What's the proper way of running this patch with Win7?
Thanks.

Old 05-17-15, 01:37 PM   #5
aanker
Pacific Thunder

During the install of PA you get the option to overwrite the default scope with the Kollmorgan US scope by Darkstream. I recommend selecting it.

On the periscope screen you're talking about where you see the scope in front of you there is a red switch on the bottom right of the screen that will open the periscope view screen.

Sound files - the bat file uses Lame to convert the sound files to a format PA can use:

Batch file contents:
Quote:
cd patemp
notepad readme.txt

lame -h --decode boat_impact_L.mp3 boat_impact_L.wav
lame -h --decode boat_small_impact_L.mp3 boat_small_impact_L.wav
lame -h --decode damage_fire_L.mp3 damage_fire_L.wav
lame -h --decode explo_dc_close_L.mp3 explo_dc_close_L.wav
lame -h --decode multi_antiair_guns_L.mp3 multi_antiair_guns_L.wav
lame -h --decode sub_dive_crash_L.mp3 sub_dive_crash_L.wav

cd..
move/y patemp\*.wav sim\sfx\fx\
cd patemp

lame -h --decode cap007.mp3 cap007.wav
lame -h --decode cap010.mp3 cap010.wav
lame -h --decode cap011.mp3 cap011.wav
lame -h --decode cap012.mp3 cap012.wav
lame -h --decode cap016.mp3 cap016.wav
lame -h --decode cap017.mp3 cap017.wav
lame -h --decode chief001.mp3 chief001.wav
lame -h --decode chief002.mp3 chief002.wav
lame -h --decode chief003.mp3 chief003.wav
lame -h --decode chief004.mp3 chief004.wav
lame -h --decode chief005.mp3 chief005.wav
lame -h --decode chief006.mp3 chief006.wav
lame -h --decode chief007.mp3 chief007.wav
lame -h --decode chief008.mp3 chief008.wav
lame -h --decode chief009.mp3 chief009.wav
lame -h --decode chief010.mp3 chief010.wav
lame -h --decode chief011.mp3 chief011.wav
lame -h --decode chief012.mp3 chief012.wav
lame -h --decode chief013.mp3 chief013.wav
lame -h --decode chief020.mp3 chief020.wav
lame -h --decode chief027.mp3 chief027.wav
lame -h --decode chief028.mp3 chief028.wav
lame -h --decode chief034.mp3 chief034.wav
lame -h --decode chief035.mp3 chief035.wav
lame -h --decode chief041.mp3 chief041.wav
lame -h --decode chief042.mp3 chief042.wav
lame -h --decode chief043.mp3 chief043.wav
lame -h --decode eng000.mp3 eng000.wav
lame -h --decode eng001.mp3 eng001.wav
lame -h --decode eng011.mp3 eng011.wav
lame -h --decode eng013.mp3 eng013.wav
lame -h --decode eng018.mp3 eng018.wav
lame -h --decode eng054.mp3 eng054.wav
lame -h --decode first007.mp3 first007.wav
lame -h --decode first008.mp3 first008.wav
lame -h --decode first009.mp3 first009.wav
lame -h --decode first010.mp3 first010.wav
lame -h --decode first011.mp3 first011.wav
lame -h --decode first012.mp3 first012.wav
lame -h --decode first024.mp3 first024.wav
lame -h --decode first032.mp3 first032.wav
lame -h --decode first046.mp3 first046.wav
lame -h --decode second001.mp3 second001.wav
lame -h --decode second002.mp3 second002.wav
lame -h --decode second015.mp3 second015.wav
lame -h --decode second018.mp3 second018.wav
lame -h --decode second019.mp3 second019.wav
lame -h --decode second021.mp3 second021.wav
lame -h --decode second022.mp3 second022.wav
lame -h --decode second024.mp3 second024.wav
lame -h --decode second033.mp3 second033.wav
lame -h --decode second035.mp3 second035.wav
lame -h --decode second039.mp3 second039.wav

cd..
move/y patemp\*.wav sim\sfx\english\
copy/y patemp\dummy\cap000.wav sim\sfx\english\

echo Installation complete!!!
pause
exit
Hope this helps.
Old 05-17-15, 02:19 PM   #6
Major Johnson
Frogman

I appreciate your help..........that said,

I did select that kollmorgan scope you mentioned. Maybe that's why my aperture is small. Maybe I should remove it.

I know the sound files are replacing existing. My question is how do I properly run that batch file. Double clicking it brings up a cmd prompt and the file runs and decompresses all the files but it doesn't put them in the proper directory. Must I run the file from a specific directory? My computer history started with Win95/98. I never got into the intricacies of the cmd prompt, so my knowledge in that area is limited at best.

Edit:
From the syntax I can see it's using patemp to create the wav files, then it's supposed to move those new wav files into other directories. I tried creating the patemp directory, then running the batch file from within. It appear to run, but when I checked the files in the specified locations, there is no time change, so the new sound files were never actually installed.

Edit:
I reinstalled PA, this time not selecting the Kollomorgan scope and now I can see thru the periscope, although it's the stock PA scope, but it's better than not being able to use the scope at all. If anyone knows a fix for the small aperture in the Kollomorgan scope I'd appreciate it.

Now I'm running into another graphic issue. When I use "Q" to bring up the side menu, the engine speed is reversed, meaning I select Ahead Standard and the helm is reading Back 2/3, and I can't click on the settings. It has no effect.

Edit:
Kollmorgan scope issue is resolved. I found an old tread about having to "secure from red" to be able to use the scope. I'm sure that's a glitch but it's a simple enough work around. But the issue with the helm settings being reversed in the slide-out menu is still a problem.

This is literally how I've spent my day!!! I need a freakin break!

Last edited by Major Johnson; 05-17-15 at 03:48 PM.
Old 05-17-15, 06:08 PM   #7
Major Johnson
Frogman

Eureeka!! I copied the files from the Glitch Fix Pack and the Slide menu fix, and now the slide menu helm is reading correctly!!

So my Kollmorgan periscope and slide menu issues are resolved. Now I just need help with the Vicker's, Torpfx and sound mods. But at least that's not keeping me from testing out this campaign.

Old 05-17-15, 07:04 PM   #8
aanker
Pacific Thunder

Ha! Yep, I recall that "secure from red" to use the scope zoomed.... the Z key

I spent my day, almost all day, working on something for SH4, so don't feel like the Lone Ranger, I know how you feel.

Great, it appears that you have PA running. The new wav sound files created inside \patemp from the mp3's go in the folders with the same name as the folder name listed in the batch file.

The new *.wav sound files are in a temp folder named, \patemp. They can be moved by hand into the:
Pacific Aces\sim\sfx\fx and Pacific Aces\sim\sfx\english folders, and then copy the cap000.wav into Pacific Aces\sim\sfx\english just like the batch file would do. It lists the names of the files and where they go.

These first 6 get moved to Pacific Aces\sim\sfx\fx
lame -h --decode boat_impact_L.mp3 boat_impact_L.wav
lame -h --decode boat_small_impact_L.mp3 boat_small_impact_L.wav
lame -h --decode damage_fire_L.mp3 damage_fire_L.wav
lame -h --decode explo_dc_close_L.mp3 explo_dc_close_L.wav
lame -h --decode multi_antiair_guns_L.mp3 multi_antiair_guns_L.wav
lame -h --decode sub_dive_crash_L.mp3 sub_dive_crash_L.wav

The next files (the large block) batch decodes go in
Pacific Aces\sim\sfx\english

Did you install the Glitch fix patch?

Lastly, there is a SlideMenuFix

Happy Hunting!
Protect each one we ask of thee.
Bless those at home who wait and pray,
For their return by night and day."

Old 05-17-15, 09:09 PM   #9
Major Johnson
Frogman

I have to admit I was feeling pretty disgusted with myself for not getting anything else done around the house like I had planned, but I just had a good 4 hours of jamming some tunes I have to play out in Ohio in a few weeks. I'm under the gun to learn 13 songs I've either never player or heard before! Only one more to figure out so I'm feeling a hell of a lot better than I was.

As for the glitch fix and slide menu fix, yes I copied all the files into their respective folders, so I'm good to go in that respect. My only issue is getting the Sound 1.1 patch installed, and I think I just had another revelation! LOL!!

I think what I'm supposed to do is after unzip the files I have to copy all of them into the PA folder, then run the batch file, which will in turn convert the mp3s and move/copy them into their respective folders. So my only questions is so I copy the Sound patch folders and batch file into the root of the PA directory or some other subdirectory?? I guess I can always experiment. What the hell, that's what I did all day!!

Old 05-17-15, 09:56 PM   #10
Major Johnson
Frogman

Ok, I think I got the sound files installed. Big improvement! But man do I suck!! I just got sunk by a tanker that rammed me!! I thought I was deep enough. I blew balasts and surfaced, figuring my deck gun could finish it off, and to my surprise the tanker was armed!! The ship id book didn't say it was armed so I assumed it wasn't.

And I realized the reason why my external camera was still above water when I was at periscope depth. It was because I wasn't deep enough. As soon as I tried to go deeper the external view went under water as well. I can see now I'm gonna have to be a little more careful.

But I can see myself having some fun with this mod.

Last edited by Major Johnson; 05-18-15 at 06:49 AM.
Old 05-18-15, 11:37 AM   #11
aanker
Pacific Thunder

The ASW is very good so be careful - lol. Glad you're up and running.

That's something to spring on you ---> "Here, go learn these 12 songs". Good luck.

The link to go to the coast extractor used to detail coastlines in missions that players design in Kriegstanz D is wrong now, they moved it, the old extractor page is still on the website because I found it not too long ago after some digging & searching, but I forgot to bookmark it. arrgh! this link is close:
http://www.ngdc.noaa.gov/mgg/coast/

Quote:
Kriegstanz Dev manual:
High resolution maps

The normal world map used by KD is created from low-resolution WCL (World CoastLine) vector data. Only by using WCL data was it possible to show the coastlines of the whole world, due to the size of the data involved.

For creating theatres close to the coast, however, this often isn’t detailed enough, so provision is made in KD to use other data sets. Supplied with KD are two such sets, one for the UK coastline and one for the east coast of the United States.

To use these, select Map from the View menu, and pick the map you want to use.
The world map is then replaced by the map you have selected.

Thanks to the kind people at the National Geophysical Data Centre (NGDC), you can quickly and simply extract high-resolution data for your own maps from the Coastline Extractor website. To do this, ensure you have an Internet connection, and follow this link:

http://oas.ngdc.noaa.gov/mgg/plsql/extractor.search_screen

You should see the Coastline Extractor web page. At the top, there is a button captioned “Use a Java Map to enter coordinates”. Click there, and an interactive map will appear which will allow you to specify the area you want to map. Try not to make the area too large, or the extractor will give you an error message. Trial and error is the best way to find out how much data you can extract.
Happy Hunting!