SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics
Forget password? Reset here

Old 04-23-21, 02:24 PM   #3391
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9
Uploads: 0

Scenes from two squirrel rehabber's living room that I happen to know, they live three bicycle hours south of me . They turn their living room every season into a squirrel rehab centre. They currently have 9 squirrels that they got as orphants and younglings, and currently prepare them for shuttling to a bigger forest aviery where they will spend another 2-4 weeks to get used to the temperatures, sounds and smells of the wild, and to unfriend from their human foster parents. Mind you, these are EUROPEAN red squirrels, they are quite differnt in robustness and social behaviouir than American red squirrels and other squirrel species there are in North America.

How not to love these creatures?
Old 04-23-21, 02:28 PM   #3392
Buddahaid
Shark above Space Chicken

Downloads: 160

They eat my vegatable garden and dig up the flower pots.

"Tomorrow belongs to those who can hear it coming."
David Bowie
Buddahaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-21, 02:33 PM   #3393
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 37

^^ I envy them.

Imagine having your house filled with animal, squirrel. cats, dogs and other animals.
(Cats has to learn squirrel is not food)

Markus

My little lovely female cat
mapuc is online   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-21, 02:38 PM   #3394
Skybird
Soaring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddahaid View Post
They eat my vegatable garden and dig up the flower pots.
Thats their way to tell you that you are their most favourite human person.

I know, I know, you have very different squirrels over there. As I said, these are European red squirrels, sciurus vulagris. They are weaker, shy, and lonely wolfs. Ours squirrels do not do these things. Yours usually are more aggressive, robust, and sicne they form cosil communities anbd ties, more courageous and probbaly a bit more intelligent (social behaviour needs social intelleigence). European red squirrels are social only in their childhood, then most of them become isolationists.

These are is red squirrels as well - but not our sciurus vulgaris, but the American red squirrel (tamiasciurus hudsonicus).

As you can see they are hyperaggressive and have not much in common with their European cousins except the looks.

Behaviour like this you do not see (and hear) in Europe.
Old 04-23-21, 02:46 PM   #3395
Skybird
Soaring

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapuc View Post
^^ I envy them.

Imagine having your house filled with animal, squirrel. cats, dogs and other animals.
(Cats has to learn squirrel is not food)

Markus
Me too, but do not be mistaken, rehabbing young squirrels is a full time job and very time and power-consuming especially in the first weeks: they need to get fed, massaged and animated for excretion every two hours - DAY AND NIGHT. Your whole life runs in 100 minute intervalls - including sleeping, leaving the house...

I would do it, but my flat is not such to allow this. However, I have a full set of equipment and stuff and do have the knowledge, just in case of an emergency. Forn the first 4-5 weeks max I could rehab a bayb squirrel. In the garden, I just run a feeding station with food, nuts, water and polstering material. I have five regular guests since last summer, I brought them all over the winter, at least helped on their nutrition situation, and so all survived, all are well-fed and strong, although all were in their first year (80% of European red squirrels do not survive their first year).

Two things everybody can do with his garden, easily: make your rainwater ton squirrel-safe, put a net on it or put a ladder-kind of stick into it, so that an animal falling into it must not miserably drown, but can escape, or does not fall into it in the first. Do not use poisonous stuff in your garden (especially snail and slug bait, it snot just the target spoecies eating it). Second, have water bowls especially in freezing winter and in hot summer out there, for squirrels in elevated positions where they mst not go to the ground (cats), for other animals on the ground (hedghogs). I do not want to feed doves and other bigger birds and animals, but never under no circumstance do I chase an animals away fromt he water, even mice or rats can drink, thoguh not more than just drink. And then I make it clear that they are not welcomed beyond that, eat and stay and sh!t everywhere.

And you know what? They doves and that mouse seem to get it. I have a balcony in the roof (2nd floor), and there a bird feeder and water bowl additional to the squirrel buffett in the garden below. Beside little birds and especially many tomtits and sparrows there are a small mouse and two doves who do not even try to target the feeders anymore, but go straight for the water only, and immediately leave again. They tried to eat earlier, and learned that this means trouble with me (noise, things thrown at the window or through the door and such). Clever little things. Nobody must die of thirst here, its a nasty death, and it comes much easier and faster than starvation.

Last edited by Skybird; 04-23-21 at 03:06 PM.
Skybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-21, 03:10 PM   #3396
Buddahaid
Shark above Space Chicken

Downloads: 160

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybird View Post
Thats their way to tell you that you are their most favourite human person.

I know, I know, you have very different squirrels over there. As I said, these are European red squirrels, sciurus vulagris. They are weaker, shy, and lonely wolfs. Ours squirrels do not do these things. Yours usually are more aggressive, robust, and sicne they form cosil communities anbd ties, more courageous and probbaly a bit more intelligent (social behaviour needs social intelleigence). European red squirrels are social only in their childhood, then most of them become isolationists.

These are is red squirrels as well - but not our sciurus vulgaris, but the American red squirrel (tamiasciurus hudsonicus).

As you can see they are hyperaggressive and have not much in common with their European cousins except the looks.

Behaviour like this you do not see (and hear) in Europe.
What's really bad is if you try to stop them they complain about their first and second amendment right being violated....

"Tomorrow belongs to those who can hear it coming."
David Bowie
Buddahaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-21, 03:12 PM   #3397
Skybird
Soaring

Old 04-23-21, 03:19 PM   #3398
Skybird
Soaring

Unbelievable. Their stress homrone levels must go right through the ceiling, breakign through the gates to canary heaven.

I prefer our European ones. They are MUCH cuter. And peaceful (which unfortunately is their doom, there are two populations of Klingon grey squirrels in Europe, and they are on the march to victory).
Old 04-28-21, 06:09 AM   #3399
Skybird
Soaring

Irresistable.

Old 05-28-21, 10:51 AM   #3400
Skybird
Soaring

30 minutes of beautiful nature filming in Northern Sweden.

Old 06-12-21, 09:45 PM   #3401
ET2SN
ET2/SS

Downloads: 56

Understanding (or, "How To Play") whack-a-squirrel..

ET2SN is online   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-21, 01:48 PM   #3402
Eichhörnchen
Starte das Auto

Downloads: 5

"Hey there, whackers! My little buddy Eichhörnchen has asked me to invite you to a whole new game called "Whack-A-Dick". Instead of whacking squirrels you'll be hefting your hammers on a whole load of celebrity Richards"

That's enough from him... the plan is that if it's a dick you whack it, okay? And if it's not then you LOSE points this time. More about the rules later. And don't anybody ask me when it starts... that's just going to be a surprise (like, when I feel like it) so watch out and have your whackers at the ready
Old 09-26-21, 02:10 PM   #3403
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Thread locked!

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is online   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-21, 03:14 PM   #3404
Rockstar
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 10

Starting today I’m gonna double my efforts and start practicing my whacking technique as soon as I get home from work.

Let's assume I'm right, it'll save time.
Rockstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-21, 03:15 PM   #3405
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eichhörnchen View Post

"Hey there, whackers! My little buddy Eichhörnchen has asked me to invite you to a whole new game called "Whack-A-Dick". Instead of whacking squirrels you'll be hefting your hammers on a whole load of celebrity Richards"

That's enough from him... the plan is that if it's a dick you whack it, okay? And if it's not then you LOSE points this time. More about the rules later. And don't anybody ask me when it starts... that's just going to be a surprise (like, when I feel like it) so watch out and have your whackers at the ready
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbuna View Post
Thread locked!
NAH! We should simply combine threads with Jeff Grove's WHACK-AN-ARSE
thread
https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/sho...98&postcount=1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Groves
I called my Boss and told him what was going on and told him I was going to beat that Guy to near death! I then hung up and shut off my phone!
I arrived at the Site, kicked the door open, and walked in with my Estwing hammer in hand with the full intent of caving in his skull!
My Boss had warned him I was coming and the arse hole ran as soon as he saw me walk in!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote