SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 10-31-20, 09:43 AM   #1
jorgegonzalito
Officer

Downloads: 322
Uploads: 0
Default The unsinkable merchant

They said that the Titanic was unsinkable, but it turned out that it was not because everything that floats can sink. However, I met - to my regret - an American merchant ship that apparently was. I'm not a fan of supermods because they include a bundle of tweaks, some of which may not be to my taste. I prefer to add individual mods, to the extent that they help to correct some inconveniences and annoying situations in the simulation. However, I decided to test the mod "Operation Monsun" of the German IXD2 submarines in different theaters of operations. I had already done missions with the Uboats in SH4, thanks to the mod "UBM Missions pack" with satisfactory results. On the first mission of "Operation Monsun" I was on the east coast of the United States, fishing from lone merchant ships, when one appeared in the twilight of the night. A small-time freighter that I approached on the surface up to 4,000 meters away, until it started shooting at me and I had to submerge. I threw two torpedoes at 3,000 meters away, the ones that made an impact but apparently the ship didn't even notice because it kept moving slowing down. Two other torpedoes at 2,000 meters struck and a fire started on board, but unless the speed was reduced by one or two knots, the ship continued to navigate. Two other torpedoes at 1,000 meters had the same result, the boat zigzagging with the stern semi sunk but still sailing. Another two torpedoes at 500 meters made a great roar (eight have been fired) but the damn thing continued as if nothing had happened. Enraged I came to the surface and began to shake it with the bow cannon, and they answered the fire! About 50 cannon shots! About fifty cannon shots left it engulfed in flames but at a speed of 3 knots it continued sailing. It only remained for me to drop an atomic bomb if the Manhattan project was finished, but not yet. I turned around and left. Since the ship did not sink, it was not recorded as a lost ship. In another mission of this mod, I came across another similar merchant and more or less the same thing happened. Goodbye operation monsun!

Last edited by jorgegonzalito; 10-31-20 at 09:48 AM. Reason: Text corrections
jorgegonzalito is offline   Reply With Quote