Downloads: 5
Uploads: 0

^ Thanks - I'll check it out
Old 07-21-22, 05:45 PM   #212
Armistead
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 364

I picked an old abandoned house and found basically everything of the two sons that served in the army during WW2. One was captured and a German POW and sent many letters from prison. He actually lived in the family home to work the farm until the day he died in the 80s. Found a mass of letters, his foot locker, some German Nazi stuff I guess he brought back home, his uniforms, a mass of all his war stuff. Here is a letter his brother wrote to mom when they found out he went missing. It was a few months before they found out he was alive and POW.

Dearest Mother - Nov.21, 1944
I will try to write you a few lines tonight as I am thinking of you and wondering how you are by now. I know everyone at home is sick about Tom though I thought maybe I could get to come home, but the Red Cross let me know this afternoon that I cannot get a emergency furlough.
Seems like I might as well forget that I was ever human, as long as I have to stay in the army a fellow isn't considered as human anyway. Maybe this rotten mess will end some day though.
I received your letter yesterday but was on guard last nite and didn't get to do any writing? When was the last letter you had from Tom written. I still have hopes that we will hear he is alive.
I have to attend school most every day but I just cannot seem to get my mind on the class. Guess I won't get very much out of going but I sometime wonder what's the use anyway.
How is Helen by this time?
Do you know if aunt Lillie still hears from all the boys right often these days?
Tell the rest I'll write to them as soon as I can.
I don't know of anything I want you to get for me "Mom" but thanks a million anyway.
Try to take care of yourself Mom and write when you can.
Love to all
Herbert.

You see my dog don't like people laughing. He gets the crazy idea you're laughing at him. Now if you apologize like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.
Armistead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-22, 08:08 AM   #213
August
Wayfaring Stranger

Downloads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armistead View Post
I picked an old abandoned house and found basically everything of the two sons that served in the army during WW2. One was captured and a German POW and sent many letters from prison. He actually lived in the family home to work the farm until the day he died in the 80s. Found a mass of letters, his foot locker, some German Nazi stuff I guess he brought back home, his uniforms, a mass of all his war stuff. Here is a letter his brother wrote to mom when they found out he went missing. It was a few months before they found out he was alive and POW.

Dearest Mother - Nov.21, 1944
I will try to write you a few lines tonight as I am thinking of you and wondering how you are by now. I know everyone at home is sick about Tom though I thought maybe I could get to come home, but the Red Cross let me know this afternoon that I cannot get a emergency furlough.
Seems like I might as well forget that I was ever human, as long as I have to stay in the army a fellow isn't considered as human anyway. Maybe this rotten mess will end some day though.
I received your letter yesterday but was on guard last nite and didn't get to do any writing? When was the last letter you had from Tom written. I still have hopes that we will hear he is alive.
I have to attend school most every day but I just cannot seem to get my mind on the class. Guess I won't get very much out of going but I sometime wonder what's the use anyway.
How is Helen by this time?
Do you know if aunt Lillie still hears from all the boys right often these days?
Tell the rest I'll write to them as soon as I can.
I don't know of anything I want you to get for me "Mom" but thanks a million anyway.
Try to take care of yourself Mom and write when you can.
Love to all
Herbert.

What do you intend to do with all that stuff?

Flanked by life and the funeral pyre. Putting on a show for you to see.
August is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-22, 12:25 PM   #214
Eichhörnchen
Starte das Auto

Moira came home with this today - she planned to give it me for Christmas but then had second thoughts. Didn't want me choking on my turkey I guess

ISBN 978 1 52670 187 9

Author: Philip D Chinnery

Publisher: Pen & Sword (Military)
Old 10-20-22, 01:10 PM   #215
August
Wayfaring Stranger

Cool. That reminds me to mention that I just finished this:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 9CF9B0C7CF398464CFCA0215F265FFC8C3811CF1.jpg (23.6 KB, 4 views)

Old 10-20-22, 01:32 PM   #216
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 37

Eichhörnchen Post about this book his wife gave him made me remember a book I once borrowed on our local library, many many years ago.

I was looking for something interesting to read. I couldn't decide if it has to be history and what kind history(Mostly I borrowed books about military or religious history) or science.

While walking around at the library I saw this book-With the title(From memory)

How life was lived during 30's Germany/Living under/in Hitler's Germany

I borrowed it and it was the best book I had read in a decade.

It was about how ordinary German lived during the 30's and beginning of the 40's Hitler's Germany.

A scene from the book-
Place somewhere outside Cologne
A shop is being demolished by people and some member of Hitler Jugend/Young SS. Police arrive to..no not to stop them from harassing the shop owner, no they came to hold back other citizens.

If I only knew(remember) the exact title.

Edit
I remember more from this book. Following showed how the Nazi's looked at handicapped people.
One one of the pages there was a black and white illustration of a man without a leg sitting in a wheelchair with following text below.
Again from memory
should this man be allowed to burden our community.
End edit

Markus

My little lovely female cat

Last edited by mapuc; 10-21-22 at 07:58 AM.
mapuc is online   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-22, 01:32 PM   #217
Eichhörnchen
Starte das Auto

Thanks for that, August I must have that too
Old 10-20-22, 01:49 PM   #218
Eichhörnchen
Starte das Auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapuc View Post
How life was lived during 30's Germany/Living under/in Hitler's Germany... If I only knew(remember) the exact title.

Markus
Those events came to be known as "Kristallnacht", when Jewish shops and business premises were attacked and burned

You've reminded me again about a book I saw in a shop which traced the story of a Jewish family right through the rise of the Nazis to their ultimate end in the camps

It was a huge book and quite a lot of money even though second-hand, so I left it. I really still often wish I'd bought that book as I cannot remember the name of it either
Old 10-20-22, 04:59 PM   #219
blackswan40
LSH-2022 Liaison Officer

Downloads: 589
Uploads: 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eichhörnchen View Post
I'm a real sucker for anything PoW: really enjoy pc games Prisoner of War and The Great Escape, all the films plus no end of books. Does anyone remember Hogan's Heroes? (I know they're out on DVD but not sure whether in UK-playable format).

In which film was a character heard to say "Why don't we take our time and get the lot?"

Could the film in question be devils brigade when the Americans are in the same bar as the Canucs and its abbout to kick off then the lumberjacks crash the bar.

blackswan40 is online   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-22, 11:08 PM   #220
August
Wayfaring Stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackswan40 View Post
Could the film in question be devils brigade when the Americans are in the same bar as the Canucs and its abbout to kick off then the lumberjacks crash the bar.

I think you might have the right movie but the wrong scene. Wasn't that line said just before they captured the whole town of German troops from the general on down to the cooks?

Old 10-21-22, 05:29 AM   #221
Eichhörnchen
Starte das Auto

Nope - Leo Genn said this to Anthony Steele in the British PoW movie "The Wooden Horse"
Old 11-19-22, 07:21 AM   #222
Eichhörnchen
Starte das Auto

RIP Robert Clary
Old 11-19-22, 01:59 PM   #223
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

he looks better in his beret than either of us!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is online   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-22, 12:35 PM   #224
August
Wayfaring Stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aktungbby View Post
he looks better in his beret than either of us!

He wore his beret like a Frenchman.

Old 01-23-23, 05:54 PM   #225
Eichhörnchen
Starte das Auto

We know that half of what you see in a war movie is often a condensing of or even a massaging of the truth - here are a few titbits about The Great Escape (it seems it wasn't the ony one)

https://www.historyextra.com/period/...-great-escape/