SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SHIII Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 10-14-09, 03:28 PM   #91
Von Talon
A-ganger

Downloads: 67
Uploads: 0
Default Hood Pwn3d me!

Dang it! I got owned by HMS Hood! AND I WAS USING BISMARCK!

I think that the "Damage taken by submarine will be more severe" -option thing (I dont remember its name) in the realism settings weakens the battleship to level of a U-boat. Hood shot only few shots, and the whole ship destroyed!

Ill try sinking Hood again tomorrow with "Damage taken by submarine will be more severe" -option turned off.
Old 10-15-09, 06:22 AM   #92
Freiwillige
The Old Man

Downloads: 24

I keep dying on submarine nets!

Great fun mod though, Thank you for this!
Freiwillige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-09, 12:59 PM   #93
kdv
Loader

Downloads: 37

U47 - THANKS!!! This is pretty sweet (so far)!

Have a few questions though, have only made 1 successful patrol.

Started a new career, so only 500 renown - not enough to upgrade boat, presume that 'hacking' the renown of my captain will allow me to upgrade to the IXD2 (Bismark?).

Starting ship has a deck gun like you'd see on a sub, do I have to upgrade my weapons - or pick a different year to ensure the historical accuracy of when the ship would have been fitted out?

Think I also died on sub-nets, thought I'd pay Scapa Flow a visit before hostilities started, but died when approaching the docks.

Any other tips out there from you guys who've successfully made a few patrols?
kdv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-09, 01:49 PM   #94
Von Talon
A-ganger

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdv View Post

Started a new career, so only 500 renown - not enough to upgrade boat, presume that 'hacking' the renown of my captain will allow me to upgrade to the IXD2 (Bismark?).

Starting ship has a deck gun like you'd see on a sub, do I have to upgrade my weapons - or pick a different year to ensure the historical accuracy of when the ship would have been fitted out?

Think I also died on sub-nets, thought I'd pay Scapa Flow a visit before hostilities started, but died when approaching the docks.

So, you want to upgrade to Bismarck? Well, that she is worth of 65000 renown, so you have alot of ships to sink, but there is a few faster ways to get it! If you don't like "cheats" do not read!

First, enable GeIII. Then you should be able to select IXD2 from SH3 Commander (if you have it). Before you start SH3 from SH3 Cmdr, change GeIII back to GeI. If you don't have SH3 Cmdr, do not worry! you should be able to get Leipzig-class cruiser (IXD2 of GeIII) on 1939!

And you want some patrol tips too? Here is some! But if you don't want to know where 3 battleships are, dont read!

IF YOU HAVE GWX, I suggest you start your career on October 1939 with Bismarck, you can catch, and destroy HMS Hood and HMS Nelson! They are in grid AN15, heading east, to Scapa Flow on October 5th. They arrive to the grid at 15:00, and reach Scapa at evening. I suggest you take tactical position, and engage them. It's very easy sink them if you have a tactical position.
If you manage to destroy them, and you still have ammunition and high hull intregity, you can try to enter Scapa Flow, becouse there is a third battleship, HMS Royal Oak! Enter Scapa from the southern enterance, and destroy every ship in your path. Stop at about 6000-10000 meters from the Royal Oak, and open fire! Do not destroy any destroyers or pesky patrol boats, just concentrate your fire on the battleship. Destroyers don't pose any threat to you. It takes a long time to destroy a battleship from long range, but when you get the "She's going down" -message, escape immediatly! When after the message, you can concentrate fire to a aulixary cruiser west from the sunken battleship.

You can still sink the Royal Oak if you don't have GWX. I stongly suggest you upgrade to GWX!

And if you want more Bismarck-career tips, just put a private message. Good hunting!
Old 10-15-09, 02:09 PM   #95
Freiwillige
The Old Man

Downloads: 24

I posted this at the SHIII main forum but anybody thinking of trying this mod should read this.

Well I just had an intense hour and a half long surface action Against

1 HMS Hood Battlecruiser
1 fleet carrier
1 HMS Rodney Battleship
1 HMS Nelson Battleship
2 light cruisers
7 destroyers

vs

1 Deutschland class pocket battleship

Got a contact report for a task force heading into the Irish sea. Must be going to lock ewe I thought so I hit the channel at flank speed for the intercept. I first spotted two destroyers closing fast. I held my fire until the range was 1,500 meters and then tore into the destroyers charging me and took out three in as many minutes! Just as the last one went under I spotted the task force on the horizon.

Keeping my speed up at 26 knots I engaged the carrier at 9,000 meters and scored several 4.5" gun hits on her. turning 90 degrees starboard I was then running parallel to the task force when I sighted the hood at 8,400 meters and engaged her. After zig zagging and landing several main gun hits with my 11"\280mm guns and a multitude of smaller gun hits his range was getting close so I zipped out of range and re-engaged the carrier at maximum range. The fat carrier was an easy broadside for my 11" guns who soon found their range and landed crippling blows along her waterline while again the 4.5" rained down on her.
She began listing to her starboard side so I kept shelling her all while dodging the Hood the Rodney and the Nelson's Guns.

A few more 11" gun hits tore into the side of the fleet carrier and she started to nose into the drink and I could see her start to go under! I knew the show was up so I again returned my fire on the Hood.

I had ended up crossing the T on the battle group as I passed then cut them off. And again destroyers were charging in and getting torn to pieces in my teeth. Brave chaps though one and all.

Several of the enemy's smaller guns started finding their mark on me so zig zagging the whole time I concentrated my fire on the HMS Hood who was in the lead and badly damaged by this point.

Just when my main guns again started to find their pattern around the Hood I run out of 11" shells!

I pepper him with 4.5" for a solid 20 minutes and although he looks like a wreck he continues on in his stubborn path knowing full well that my smaller fire couldn't breach his armored hulk and all the while lobbing his big shells back at me.

After yet again a damaging blow by the HMS hood and HMS Rodney's smaller guns I disengage the HMS Hood and swing around to the back quarter of the fleet and engage the two light cruisers.

at 6,500 meters my guns get their range as my 4.5's penetrate below their lightly armored waterlines and send them both to the bottom in a short running battle, but not before the Rodney and Nelson return fire and knock out my main pumps.

The Graf Spee was wounded and was looking a little beat up but she was not taking on water and still had top speed so I disengaged to the north and set course flank speed for Kiel.

Arriving to a hero's welcome and a Knight cross with oak leaves and diamonds and a grand cross!

The score total
1 fleet carrier sunk
7 destroyers sunk
2 light cruisers sunk
4 merchants sunk
and
1 HMS hood badly damaged.

For 1 Graf Spee with medium\light damage!

I love this MOD!
Freiwillige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-09, 05:05 PM   #96
kdv
Loader

Yup, read all that - great read .

Von Talon, great tips and advice.

Got the Bismarck working as per your advice - it's the one I wanted to play with anyways out of this whole package.

Started a new campaign in October, raided Scapa first, no Royal Oak present. Butchered just about everything else in there though. Waited for Hood and Nelson which came along just as you said - 15:00 on the 5th.

Managed to get Hood to start sinking, but Nelson finished me off. Where's Prinze Eugen when you need him ?

GREAT Mod, Thanks again U47, I'm going to have lots of fun with this one.
Old 10-15-09, 05:32 PM   #97
Lipud U-107
Ensign

Downloads: 30
Quote:

can slightly increase your budget, you can bury your files (you know what) 2 as sinking more ships.
P.S. generally increased the budget itself is usually only when I was a captain in the u-boot and I am the commander of a warship that only increases the league because guys quite often poorly shot
pozdro
Lipud U-107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-09, 12:52 AM   #98
kdv
Loader

Having a blast with the Bismarck;

A problem I've noticed, the only main gun I can manage is turret 1. Is there a way to manage all 4 main turrets at the same time?

Also damage, even though hull integrity is at 100%, and repair crew has completed all needed repairs, my boat is still on fire. Am not about to try submerging to extinguish the flames .
Old 10-16-09, 03:54 AM   #99
Von Talon
A-ganger

Quote:
Yup, read all that - great read .

Von Talon, great tips and advice.

Got the Bismarck working as per your advice - it's the one I wanted to play with anyways out of this whole package.

Started a new campaign in October, raided Scapa first, no Royal Oak present. Butchered just about everything else in there though. Waited for Hood and Nelson which came along just as you said - 15:00 on the 5th.

Managed to get Hood to start sinking, but Nelson finished me off. Where's Prinze Eugen when you need him ?

GREAT Mod, Thanks again U47, I'm going to have lots of fun with this one.
Royal Oak arrives there at 5th Octouber, so you should play with Hood and Nelson first!

You can control only one big turret yourself, but you can still order all 4 turrets to shoot a specific target of course.

Btw, have you tried Bismarck's broadside? target a ship approacing you, hold fire, and when the targeted ship is close to you, FIRE! You get huge explosion!
Old 10-16-09, 08:43 AM   #100
ceki
Seaman

Downloads: 36

Man, You did a great job with this mod. I'm playing it and I am amazed.
Though I have few suggestions. Maybe you can edit somehow periscope to be a command view from which player can shoot from all guns at the same time. Also I noticed that I can control only one cannon (maybe SH3 stock bug?)
Maybe you can somehow put crosshair on anti-aircraft cannons?
Nevertheless this is one helluva mod worth of playing.

Keep up a good work!!!
ceki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-09, 05:30 PM   #101
difool2
Commander

First of all, the ships look fantastic, and I don't even want to think about the amount of work you did on this.

Got a fresh new captain, and got a pocket battleship as my first ride. I'm not sure why I get no control of the 11 inch guns, and even the secondary that I do get to control has no rangefinder on it. Is this by design, or is there some limitation at work here? I hate depending on the AI to choose the right target for me; in the SH IV surface mods I've played, they would let you control one main turret while the AI utilized the others, allowing you to divide your primary fire amongst several targets.
difool2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-09, 02:12 AM   #102
Chinese U-47
Ensign

Downloads: 19

O class battlecruiser finished

By the way,H39 is palyable now,it may appear in WSM3.1,so do O class.
Old 10-17-09, 02:31 AM   #103
makman94
Hellas

Downloads: 182
Uploads: 7

you are doing amazing work Chinese U-47 !! well done !!

ps: one question :i like very much the color of gun's tubes in your picture at post 65 (right ship)
how can i make darker the gun's tubes ? (only the tubes....not the whole gun)

keep on good work !!

bye

Mediafire page:http://www.mediafire.com/folder/da50.../Makman94_Mods
makman94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-09, 04:34 AM   #104
Lipud U-107
Ensign

Chinese U-47 this ship look awosem !!!!!!!

p.s. sorry my bad eng.
Lipud U-107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-09, 05:21 AM   #105
Redeagle
Sailor man

Downloads: 1

GREAT piece of art

I played the Bismarck mission with Scharnhorst. both, POW and Nelson were badly damaged (starboard side all black and 2nd artillery on fire), but i could not sink one of them 'till I was out of ammo on primary and secondary artillerie!
I'll try again

It seems like i can't play any other mission than Bismarck. I tried again a convoy-mission and ended up with the stuck loading bar again

I found out that i have to wait more than 10 minutes, than it finally will start. At least the Alexandria-mission (Barham) worked like that.
But the Scharnhorst is not powerfull enough to sink one of the Revenge-class ships.

Last edited by Redeagle; 10-17-09 at 01:05 PM.
Redeagle is offline   Reply With Quote