SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 07-27-20, 06:06 PM   #1
Navelintel
Mate

Downloads: 167
Uploads: 0
Default SH4 Failed to Launch via UPLAY

Hi All,

Has anyone else experienced issues with UPLAY when they have tried to launch SH4 - Gold Edition? I haven't played in months and last Saturday evening when I cranked up my game on UPLAY, it crashed after the introduction movie. I then uninstalled, rebooted, and reinstalled the game via UPLAY. But now, it won’t even launch.

The only reason I chose to use UPLAY to access my game was due to an issue three years ago when I was upgrading computers. I discovered that ‘Digital River’ who supported the electronic download for SH4 Wolves of the Pacific U-boat Add-On was no longer doing so. I then contacted Ubisoft, gave them my game key for both my original game and the U-boat Add-On and they sent me the full download for SH4- Gold Edition.

Now it seems something went awry as the program no longer loads properly. Should I give up on UPLAY, reload the game manually from my original discs and buy the U-boat Add-On from somewhere else or is there another option? Incidentally, I have been working with Ubisoft support for three days and I have gotten nowhere. They don’t have a clue nor do they seem to care.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, mates.

Navelintel
Old 07-27-20, 09:31 PM   #2
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

I have issues after Windows 10 Updates. Display driver updates can wreak havoc on the old games, but Windows also seems to have a penchant for changing your settings, so check the Properties page of your SH4. You might have to noodle with the High DPI settings if you have a newer display monitor. You should also match your display settings to the "native" resolution of your LCD monitor, and set the game to that same setting. Again, if you have a newer display, you might have to do a multiple of the setting. Also, I do not start the game through UPlay, but use the SH4.exe file directly.

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-20, 09:36 AM   #3
Navelintel
Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
I have issues after Windows 10 Updates. Display driver updates can wreak havoc on the old games, but Windows also seems to have a penchant for changing your settings, so check the Properties page of your SH4. You might have to noodle with the High DPI settings if you have a newer display monitor. You should also match your display settings to the "native" resolution of your LCD monitor, and set the game to that same setting. Again, if you have a newer display, you might have to do a multiple of the setting. Also, I do not start the game through UPlay, but use the SH4.exe file directly.
Hi propbeanie,

I'm not seeing the Properties page in my SH4 game directory. The only file that's close is the property.dll which I cannot open.

My current display monitor (which I've had since 2006) is an LG W1952 and the resolution is set to 1440 x 900, the same setting I've used in my game.

Also, I can open the game via the SH4.exe file from my game directory which bypasses the UPLAY app but is goes directly to a black screen after the introduction movie.
Navelintel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-20, 04:44 PM   #4
Navelintel
Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navelintel View Post
Hi propbeanie,

I'm not seeing the Properties page in my SH4 game directory. The only file that's close is the property.dll which I cannot open.

My current display monitor (which I've had since 2006) is an LG W1952 and the resolution is set to 1440 x 900, the same setting I've used in my game.

Also, I can open the game via the SH4.exe file from my game directory which bypasses the UPLAY app but is goes directly to a black screen after the introduction movie.
Never mind, I found the problem. The compatibility settings for SH4 and Uplay was out of synch. It probably occurred during my last Windows 10 update. I reset them and all is well!

Thanks.

Navelintel

Last edited by Navelintel; 07-29-20 at 09:40 AM.
Navelintel is offline   Reply With Quote