SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 09-10-20, 01:48 PM   #1
4H_Ccrashh
Helmsman

Downloads: 469
Uploads: 0
Default MK- 14's "Old Reliable?"

I have been playing a campaign in TMO with duds on.. I have noticed that when you shoot with a less acute angle on the bow and set the torpedoes to run at slow speed you get fewer duds.

Turns out the Mk-14 had the same firing pin as the old Mk-10, but the Mk-10 was a 30 knot torpedo. The 46 knots of the Mk-14 crushes the pin.
4H_Ccrashh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-20, 02:28 PM   #2
Bubblehead1980
Navy Seal

Downloads: 550
Uploads: 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4H_Ccrashh View Post
I have been playing a campaign in TMO with duds on.. I have noticed that when you shoot with a less acute angle on the bow and set the torpedoes to run at slow speed you get fewer duds.

Turns out the Mk-14 had the same firing pin as the old Mk-10, but the Mk-10 was a 30 knot torpedo. The 46 knots of the Mk-14 crushes the pin.

They used the same firing pins in real life? was not aware of that. Source ?

Yes, TMO models the dud problem per history. Angles 0-45 degrees have lowest dud rate, angles 70-90 have highest, 90-120 second highest. Only issue is still a little too reliable. I created a torpedo mod for TMO(Torpedo UpdateV3 in downloads section) to portray the dud rate realistically, also makes premature explosions for magnetic detonators more in line with history. All about the firing and impact angle. However, made it difficult to game these system because even with the acute angles, torpedoes still failed.

The speed factor had a lot of gray area but makes s, ensehigh speed=harder impact= more likely to crush the firing pin before it fires. However in TMO feel it reduced date rate too much so adjusted this.

Also adjusted the Mark 10 hitting power, was about too powerful. At times in 1942 have went on portray with partial load of MArk 4 sense due to torpedo shortages in late summer and early fall 42, some fleet boats did use them. Their dud rat eis quite a bit lower due to the speed.
Bubblehead1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-20, 06:40 PM   #3
4H_Ccrashh
Helmsman

Downloads: 469
Uploads: 0

Your request for source has me looking. I have been collecting and reading books on the Pacific naval war since 1978. My library is quite extensive. I have shelves full of books about the US Navy submarine warfare in the Pacific.

I read many chapters regarding torpedo development but now that you asked that question I have to dig through a lot of books to find it. As I recall I might be overstating .. As I remember the text the firing pins were of the same design type and same materials.

The first fix was changing springs,.. The final fix was changing metallurgy and machining techniques.

As time permits I'll keep digging.
4H_Ccrashh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-20, 09:30 PM   #4
Bubblehead1980
Navy Seal

Downloads: 550
Uploads: 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4H_Ccrashh View Post
Your request for source has me looking. I have been collecting and reading books on the Pacific naval war since 1978. My library is quite extensive. I have shelves full of books about the US Navy submarine warfare in the Pacific.

I read many chapters regarding torpedo development but now that you asked that question I have to dig through a lot of books to find it. As I recall I might be overstating .. As I remember the text the firing pins were of the same design type and same materials.

The first fix was changing springs,.. The final fix was changing metallurgy and machining techniques.

As time permits I'll keep digging.

Nice. Have a bit of library myself. I asked because never heard that so curious. Would not surprise me, one reason it is such an interesting topic, always learn something new.
Bubblehead1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-20, 10:31 PM   #5
Macgregor the Hammer
Chief

Downloads: 534
Uploads: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubblehead1980 View Post
Nice. Have a bit of library myself. I asked because never heard that so curious. Would not surprise me, one reason it is such an interesting topic, always learn something new.
It may be something in the "Fog of War" catagory.