SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 09-19-17, 08:01 PM   #1
Midcon113
Swabbie

Downloads: 38
Uploads: 0
Default SH4 Tech Question - Windowed Mode

Hi Captains!

So it's been a while, but I'm finally getting back into SH4 in a major way. The last time I played this, I was still running Vista, but now I've got all Windows 10 machines. The good news is that the game runs fine, except for one real issue I have: I have dual monitors set up and when I click on the other monitor, the game minimizes itself unless a) I'm running in Windowed mode and b) I'm running the window at less than maximum resolution (1920 x 1080 in my case).

This itself wouldn't be problem except...the little tab to open up the TDC is so close to the window's edge that half the time when I click on it the mouse ends up on the other monitor and bang - everything gets minimized. Kinda ruins the immersion factor LOL!

Is anyone aware of any fixes for this? I've searched but most results come back from posts 10 years old or so. Things may have changed since then? Running on an i5 with an nVidia GTX 970.

Thanks!

Midcon113
Midcon113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-17, 08:11 AM   #2
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

I get the same thing in Windows 7 64-bit (and Ubuntu 16-64) with dual monitors, but haven't ever looked to fix the situation, other than slowing down when I click the mouse. Just figured I was stuck with the situation. I'm not sure what posts you've found, but the game hasn't really changed in 10 years... The v1.5 Uboat Missions was the last "update" the game got from Ubisoft. What "hits" did you manage to find?

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-17, 09:23 AM   #3
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Downloads: 135
Uploads: 52

SH4 just won't work right with multiple monitors because the game is unaware. In a window, it's Windows which is aware of and works properly with multiple monitors.

Without doing illegal things no solution is possible.
Rockin Robbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-17, 12:54 PM   #4
Midcon113
Swabbie

Thank you both for your responses. I ran across this thread:

http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...e-when-tabbing

And post #7 suggests using an AutoHotKey script to simulated a "borderless window" mode. Not sure that would still work in a Windows 10 environment (or on any other OS for that matter) but was thinking of maybe trying it later tonight. I'll check back in after I give it a shot.
Old 09-20-17, 01:43 PM   #5
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

I'm not sure of that "code" being able to run with the "modern security" on a computer these days. I used to use Windows Scripting quite a bit, but don't anymore, because it is such a hassle to have to change things everytime MS has a whim or fancy about what security is or isn't... Part of the problem with it is the "ease of use", and that it can be hacked all too easily.

As far as I know, there is no "full-screen borderless window" in the game, but maybe someone knows how to do that... ?? In my old Janes Apache sim, there was a hotkey combo to get that... but it seems to me, that even in that, when I'd click in the other screen, Janes would still minimize. That has been a while ago that I played it though. Like a ~long~ while...

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-17, 02:23 PM   #6
THEBERBSTER
Growing Old Disgracefully

Downloads: 1123

A Warm Welcome To The Subsim Community >Midcon113
Subsim <> How To Donate <> See The Benefits <> Support The Community
THEBERBSTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-17, 07:39 PM   #7
Midcon113
Swabbie

Thank you Berbster!

Also, as suspected, the AutoHotKey trick didn't work. I guess I just need to be careful where I click.

Thanks everyone!
Old 09-26-17, 07:36 AM   #8
CapnScurvy
Admiral

Downloads: 474
Uploads: 64

This game is over 14 years old. SHIII was released 2005, add two years for development, there's your SH4 game engine. Using todays technology on a game that didn't expect to use anything but an analog RGB monitor, or having a computer with maximum memory of 2 gigs is like thinking a Model T can run the Indy 500 today!!

Workarounds can help, but so is the knowledge you can't squeeze out more than what this game was designed for. Stay within its limitations, you'll be fine. Trying to use that latest/best technology that money can buy.......your wasting your time.

The HMS Shannon vs. USS Chesapeake outside Boston Harbor June 1, 1813

USS Chesapeake Captain James Lawrence lay mortally wounded...
Quote:
.."tell the men to fire faster, fight 'till she sinks,..boys don't give up the ship!"
CapnScurvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-20, 04:58 PM   #9
themrwho
Torpedoman

Downloads: 140

I am kind of necroing this thread because I have something to say which I hope is worth it...

First, about AutoHotkey trick: that trick would work for regular Microsoft Windows applications which have a "Windows Window" for example it should work with notepad, firefox, chrome, excel etc.
However most games (except minesweeper etc.) draw directly to the graphics buffer so it won't work because there is no standard window to modify its behavior.

Back on the original question: Yes, you can run Silent Hunter IV in fullscreen borderless window and below is how.

You just need to use the "a smaller window" trick by reducing a single pixel. For example, I have 1920x1080 screen but when I set it to windowed mode for 1920x1080 it doesn't work.

What I can do then is, go to Documents\SH4\data\cfg and open the main cfg file, and find the subsection and modify it (note the 1079 instead of 1080).

[VIDEO]
Resolution=1920,1079,60,22
DynamicShadows=No
FullScreen=No
Synchronized=No
TextureResolutionHigh=Yes

This works for me and the game behaves exactly as a normal fullscreen borderless window would. One small problem is the one missing pixel but hey it's better than the alternative of alt+tab'bing out of a fullscreened application window.

Hope this helps.
themrwho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-20, 06:07 PM   #10
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Default welcome back!

themrwho! after a four year silent run!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is online   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-20, 10:43 PM   #11
Macgregor the Hammer
Chief

Downloads: 534
Uploads: 1

I also have the same problem with dual monitors. I just make sure that I have the game paused before going to the other monitor. I was wondering if it was due to running windows 7. I haven't found an answer. As mentioned, SH4 is fairly old technology in computing terms.
Old 09-12-20, 12:09 PM   #12
themrwho
Torpedoman

Downloads: 140

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macgregor the Hammer View Post
I also have the same problem with dual monitors.
I haven't found an answer. ...

Have you tried the workaround I posted above?
themrwho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-23, 01:10 AM   #13
Midcon113
Swabbie

Icon14

Quote:
Originally Posted by themrwho View Post
I am kind of necroing this thread because I have something to say which I hope is worth it...

First, about AutoHotkey trick: that trick would work for regular Microsoft Windows applications which have a "Windows Window" for example it should work with notepad, firefox, chrome, excel etc.
However most games (except minesweeper etc.) draw directly to the graphics buffer so it won't work because there is no standard window to modify its behavior.

Back on the original question: Yes, you can run Silent Hunter IV in fullscreen borderless window and below is how.

You just need to use the "a smaller window" trick by reducing a single pixel. For example, I have 1920x1080 screen but when I set it to windowed mode for 1920x1080 it doesn't work.

What I can do then is, go to Documents\SH4\data\cfg and open the main cfg file, and find the subsection and modify it (note the 1079 instead of 1080).

[VIDEO]
Resolution=1920,1079,60,22
DynamicShadows=No
FullScreen=No
Synchronized=No
TextureResolutionHigh=Yes

This works for me and the game behaves exactly as a normal fullscreen borderless window would. One small problem is the one missing pixel but hey it's better than the alternative of alt+tab'bing out of a fullscreened application window.

Hope this helps.

Necroing my own original thread just to say THANK YOU - this appears to be working! I guess I should have checked back sooner on this!
Old 11-21-23, 06:59 AM   #14
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Downloads: 534
Uploads: 224

Welcome back!
Old 11-21-23, 11:04 AM   #15
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Default Welcome back!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is online   Reply With Quote