SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 05-06-07, 03:22 PM   #31
Mudrik
Gunner

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by LW_lcarp
Fair enough arse it is. Also alot of the Generals running around now days where lieutenants in veitnam so they also have the veitnam conflit, american defence ribbons. And any other little ribbon that was awarded for combat operations they were involved in. So alot of the ribbons they are sporting arent award ribbons but campiagn ribbons.

Heres a list of submariners that won the MOH so you guys can see what they did to winn the Medal of Honor. http://www.valoratsea.com/MoH.htm
No worries, you can kick me up the arse but to kick me up the ass would be animal cruelty! lol.

I take your point squarely on the chin. Campaign medals and unit citations are a long way from medals awarded for individual acts of heroism.
Mudrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-07, 03:32 PM   #32
LW_lcarp
Swabbie

Downloads: 46

Will be reading that site more glad to see sites that list what the ribbions were awarded for.
LW_lcarp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-07, 05:03 PM   #33
CaptainHaplo
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 29

Regardless - remember this forum has rules regarding how you deal with other posters. You may disagree with a point - but name calling, etc will not be well recieved by the community at large. Just a word to the wise....

Captain Haplo
CaptainHaplo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-07, 05:25 PM   #34
AntEater
Grey Wolf

Lol, we were always told US soldiers get a medal for completing their basic training without landing in the brig...
Actually medals are a cheap and effective way of rewarding soldiers for combat and noncombat performance, so I can understand the US practice. The Bundeswehr is the same as the brits. Some KSK guys were awarded silver stars and other US medals for Afghanistan service because the germans did not want to award anything.
Maybe the german and british militaries are too tight with the brass and ribbon toys...

Anyway, I wonder why Elanaiba is so tight lipped about where they stored the awards criteria. Even if it is in the code, we could tweak it with the mini tweaker
Apparently they are not solely renown based, but have a much more flexible system, which could be further improved by people who have more time on their hands than the developers obviously had.
Maybe it is even possible to make the award criteria time dependent...
Just about every skipper of the first war patrols to Japan got a navy cross for virtually nothing (except the skipper of Dolphin, who got a straightjacket instead..), while only a really good war patrol could get a skipper such a cross in 1944.
Ok, according to Blair, a navy cross in WW2 had some nice benefits tagged to it:
A guaranteed "tombstone promotion" to rear admiral on retirement, giving the recipent an admiral's pension even if he did not make admiral in his actice service.
I am not sure a CMOH winner should even return to active combat.
Most submarine CMOH awards were posthumously or in the last months of WW2 or even postwar.
Old 05-06-07, 07:39 PM   #35
greekfire
Bosun

Downloads: 16

I got CMOH on first patrol in 1942 career last night by returning from Patrol Mission with 131,000 tonnage. I think I sank 3 warships and 18 merchants.
greekfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-07, 08:22 PM   #36
Beery
Admiral

Location: Silver Spring, MD, USA (but still a Yorkshireman at heart - tha can allus tell a Yorkshireman...)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntEater
Anyway, I wonder why Elanaiba is so tight lipped about where they stored the awards criteria. Even if it is in the code, we could tweak it with the mini tweaker
I think it's probably in a volume file somewhere. If that's the case the mini tweaker wouldn't help. We'd have to decompress the files first. I wish the devs would open up about this one though - it's not as if it should be some big secret. No one is going to be changing the medal criteria to cheat in online sessions after all.

"Anyrooad up, ah'll si thi"
- Missen.
Beery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-09, 01:38 AM   #37
jh6561
Swabbie

Downloads: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by elanaiba
Outta my docs - should be about the same in the code

Purple Heart: over 40% medium damage taken by the sub

Bronze Star: 3 ships sunk in one patrol or a DD, CL or larger combatant ship not worthy of a higher award

Silver Star: 6 ships sunk in one patrol or a CVE or CA sunk

Navy Cross: 8 ships sunk in one patrol or a BB or CV

CMOH: 6 ships sunk in the same engagement (checks for 24 h timeframe) or 2 of the following BB, CV, CVE

If it's not too much trouble to ask, what would the requirements be for the Distinguished Service Medal, or whatever butchered name it has been given?
Old 01-10-09, 05:03 AM   #38
jazzabilly
Planesman

Downloads: 11

I picked up a CMOH for wiping out a convoy of fishing boats and 2 merch's.

I tried to give it back, but the game won't let me....
Old 01-10-09, 02:47 PM   #39
gimpy117
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 108

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyHarry3033
Actually, I got the CMOH last night. I was going "What the F*CK did I do to earn that????"

Was only my second patrol, to East China Sea, and scored my 1st kills on that patrol. Total kills:

7 merchants
1 warship (DD)
Tonnage: 36,599

Only completed 1 of 2 mission requirements:

1) Deploy to East China Sea (Complete)
2) Engage and destroy enemy merchant shipping (Incomplete)

Naturally I was suprised to get the CMOH, a Bronze Star might have been more in order! (if even that much...)

Who knows, it must be totally random and I just got lucky and hit the jackpot???

DH
what!!! I got the distinguished cross for over 100,000 tons 2 carriers, 6 or so merchants, 3 of 4 ocean liners etc. with all of my objectives what gives!!!
Old 02-20-09, 05:49 PM   #40
eljeffo41
Seaman

Downloads: 318

A man won't give you his life,but he will sell it to you for a piece of colored ribbon!
eljeffo41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-09, 12:53 AM   #41
ancient46
Officer

Downloads: 108
Uploads: 1

The little bits of ribbon I wore on my dress uniforms, like the Vietnam combat ribbons, and Presidential Unit Citation, came in handy when I moved to duty on a Destroyer in the Atlantic Fleet. Every time we had an inspection by the Captain or visiting higher-ups, the only thing they closely examined were those ribbons. Once they saw them they kept walking to the next guy.
ancient46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-09, 09:34 AM   #42
Platapus
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 63

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigalocus
and i sunk 7
Were they fishing boats?

In my current career (1.5+RFB) I am over 70,000 tons and I, as the captain have not received one single award.

My crew seems to be getting Bronze Stars and Com. Medals out the wazoo (sister ship to the Wahoo) but no lovin for the Old Man.

Ah well, as long as the troops are being taken care of, that's what's important.
Old 02-22-09, 05:37 PM   #43
Max2147
Seasoned Skipper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Platapus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigalocus
and i sunk 7
Were they fishing boats?

In my current career (1.5+RFB) I am over 70,000 tons and I, as the captain have not received one single award.

My crew seems to be getting Bronze Stars and Com. Medals out the wazoo (sister ship to the Wahoo) but no lovin for the Old Man.

Ah well, as long as the troops are being taken care of, that's what's important.
I had a similar situation. My crews were getting Bronze and Silver Stars like crazy on my first few patrols, while I didn't get anything except for a new boat.

On my first patrol in the new boat I sank 8 merchants. It was pure luck - I encountered most of them while I was in transit from one patrol area to another, and they were all sailing alone. But when I got back I had a Medal of Honor waiting for me. Oddly enough my crew only got a trio of Bronze Stars - far below what they'd gotten on my previous successful patrols.
Max2147 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-09, 10:56 PM   #44
Stealhead
Navy Seal

Downloads: 85

I thought Sh4 had a sort of "random" award system I got an MOH once in stock 1.5 after 3 20000 ton patrols in a row. Now that I play TMO163 or RFB depending on my mood I have yet to get an MOH and I dont think you should be able to. I dont hink it should be very easy most skippers that got one died like the one that stayed on the bridge after being mortaly wounded by fire and gave commands via intercom and closed the hatch for the other men the MOH is given to someone who goes far above and beyond the call of duty at great personal risk to save his fellow soliders/sailors and/or causes great harm to the enemy and Fluckey got one for just completey kicking ass on that one patrol if you read the book the Japanese thought that was a combined warship and bomber raid not just one sub! But most often the Moh is given for the first reason. There was an Air Force A-1 Skyraider pilot in Vietnam and he got one when his wingman got shot down over a South Vietnamese army base that was being over run this guy turned back and strafed the enemy postions with the 4 20mms on his spad then landed on a near by road and ran over and pulled the other airman out of his crashed spad. He got the MOH becasue he took a great personal risk for he had no way to even know if the other airman was still alive but he did not want to let a comrade down. Like wise for many Korean War MOH holders(I dont consider any military award as something one "wins" I earned every medal related ribbon that I wore in Air Force) many of these guys willingly stayed behind at a postion to delay the bad guys so that their unit could regroup at the cost of their own lives. Other men earned the MOH by protecting other men there where several medics and navy corpmen who used thier own bodies to protect injured men. there was a black army medic in nam that got shot 4 times during a battle but refused to leave his unit he saved several men and many of his fellow soliders said that if it had not been for his fortitude and encouragement that the NVA would have overwhealmed them. Just my thoughts I dont think such a high honor should even be in a game to be honest. Most MOH recipiants arent superman or Rambos they where just normal men did something extraordinary its a thing like something came over them and empowered them like Moses or David I guess it doesnt happen everyday. And for the record it is the Congressional Medal of Honor they are approved by congress not the President and as I said befroe you dont 'win" a medal it is an honor to show ones service and for other military members to respect but they are not "won" anyone who thinks so needs to show better respect towards military tradtions and ethics. The same would go the Commonwealths VC.

Last edited by Stealhead; 02-24-09 at 12:15 AM.
Stealhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-19, 09:29 AM   #45
mrmsje
Nub

Default Medal of Honor in SH4

The best way to get the MoH is to come back to port after you've accomplished your patrol mission AND completed any additional orders you get while on patrol AND come back all beat up.

You ain't gonna get the MoH if you haven't taken some damage. If you do and your sub and crew are undamaged, then you got lucky I guess.

I came back from the first patrol with over 400k tonnage sunk (40 merchants and 27 warships + countless aircraft...not counting the merchants and warships I sunk in a dozen harbors off Honshu Island) but only got the Medal of Victory, or some such thing, because my sub and crew were unhurt.

Take that back...the deck gun was under repair, but I guess that doesn't count.

BTW, I learned from another skipper that you must complete 48 hours around your patrol "Yellow Star" for it to turn Grey, the signal you've completed your mission priority.

Another BTW: Yes, I did get all those above figures with a little help from my engineering friends and a big help from my fortune held in off shore bank accounts, which means I had my buddies build a rapid fire cannon AND another first-of-its-kind Mini-Gun (AA gun) lethal to any Japanese pilot fool enough to get anywhere near my boat.

Last BTW: To take some damage that won't sink your boat, stay on the surface and at 0 knots when under attack by planes. Tell your gunner to hold fire until you've taken a few hits or a few crew members have been killed. Then let him open up. You don't want to let the planes sink you, of course.

Welcome home, Vets!
mrmsje is offline   Reply With Quote