SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 07-30-19, 11:16 AM   #46
cdrsubron7
Sink'em All

Downloads: 305
Uploads: 1

Welcome aboard, mrmsje. Happy to have you with us.

Head Deep and Keep'em Astern" - LtCDR Samuel D Dealy
SHIV Guide | Imperial Japanese Navy | US Submarines

cdrsubron7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-19, 10:46 PM   #47
Mios 4Me
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 38
Uploads: 0

Damage is not necessary in stock 1.5 for the MOH, just sufficient tonnage. I've gotten it on 23/24 patrols; the 24th was abbreviated to reach the Philippine Sea in time for a record haul. I find GFO's approach in this regard to be more realistic and satisfying, though I never scored a MOH in that mod, no matter how hard i tried.
Mios 4Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-20, 03:19 PM   #48
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Location: Chicago area, which is more dangerous than Omaha Beach.
Downloads: 433
Uploads: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mios 4Me View Post
Damage is not necessary in stock 1.5 for the MOH, just sufficient tonnage. I've gotten it on 23/24 patrols; the 24th was abbreviated to reach the Philippine Sea in time for a record haul. I find GFO's approach in this regard to be more realistic and satisfying, though I never scored a MOH in that mod, no matter how hard i tried.
a "successful" mission (3 career pts) is all about renown which IS related to tonnage or at least the quantity/number of kills. medals are a different beast.

in my experience, tonnage is not the only requirement for a medal/award. Some combination of these accomplishments will determine your award/medal. i have never seen the algorithm for an award/medal, only for a successful mission. i have some truly outstanding patrols with obscene renown and number of ships sunk but did not receive the highest award available. i think it was because i had only 1 completed objective and/or my patrol duration was less than 7 days.

• renown from sinking ships
  • number of ships sunk
  • largest tonnage of ships sunk
  • number of "completed" objectives
  • renown from "completed" objectives
  • duration of patrol

------------------------------------------------------------
Silent Hunter 4 1.5 Gold Edition on CDROM
LAA enabled
Dell XPS with 32 GB Ram running Win10
KaleunMarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-20, 01:14 PM   #49
yvanehtnioj
Nub

Downloads: 1

Howdy everyone!

So first, background context: I'm relatively inexperienced with sub sims, this is probably my 2nd patrol in SH4, maybe somewhere <10 patrols between SH2-4 over my entire life so far. I'm playing SH4 stock v1.5. Playing with realism of 52 (everything is ON except 'manual targeting', 'no map contact update', 'no external view', 'no event camera', and 'no stabilize view'). I started on Dec 7 1941 and just finished my first patrol when my Sargo class returned to Surabaya on 01/08/1942.

I come back and discover I won the Medal of Honor.

My objectives over the patrol's course: Troop insertion, Patrol Luzon Strait, Deploy to Luzon Strait and sink merchant shipping, Patrol South China Sea (while en route reported a troop ship and got obj to sink it. I received no damage whatsoever.

I sunk a total of 18 ships over the course of the patrol - five destroyers initially in Luzon Strait and then various shipping in the SCS (or en route to SCS) and others while heading home. I sunk 72,097 tons and was awarded about 4190 renown (give or take a few hundred). I figured it was an OK run but didn't expect to see the MoH.

I guess it's a mixture of all those destroyers and objectives, but I wouldn't have figured it'd be MoH worthy.
yvanehtnioj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-20, 02:17 PM   #50
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by yvanehtnioj View Post
Howdy everyone!

So first, background context: I'm relatively inexperienced with sub sims, this is probably my 2nd patrol in SH4, maybe somewhere <10 patrols between SH2-4 over my entire life so far. I'm playing SH4 stock v1.5. Playing with realism of 52 (everything is ON except 'manual targeting', 'no map contact update', 'no external view', 'no event camera', and 'no stabilize view'). I started on Dec 7 1941 and just finished my first patrol when my Sargo class returned to Surabaya on 01/08/1942.

I come back and discover I won the Medal of Honor.

My objectives over the patrol's course: Troop insertion, Patrol Luzon Strait, Deploy to Luzon Strait and sink merchant shipping, Patrol South China Sea (while en route reported a troop ship and got obj to sink it. I received no damage whatsoever.

I sunk a total of 18 ships over the course of the patrol - five destroyers initially in Luzon Strait and then various shipping in the SCS (or en route to SCS) and others while heading home. I sunk 72,097 tons and was awarded about 4190 renown (give or take a few hundred). I figured it was an OK run but didn't expect to see the MoH.

I guess it's a mixture of all those destroyers and objectives, but I wouldn't have figured it'd be MoH worthy.
how many completed objectives did you have in addition to the 72K tonnage?

LAA enabled
Old 09-16-20, 02:39 PM   #51
yvanehtnioj
Nub

Downloads: 1

1. Troop insertion
  2. Patrol Luzon Strait
  3. Deploy to Luzon Strait
  4. and sink enemy merchant shipping
  5. Patrol South China Sea
  6. Destroy troop transports

Five or six. Five if the game doesn't consider 'sink enemy merchant shipping' a sub-objective of 'Deploy to Luzon Strait. Both had their own Complete/Incomplete listings so I don't know how that figures into the programming. I really should have taken screens of it all right before I turned into port. I can take screenshots of the list of ships sunk, the date, and the MoH itself though. I'm still surprised I got it. It feels sort of anti-climactic, honestly.
yvanehtnioj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-20, 07:11 PM   #52
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by yvanehtnioj View Post
  1. Troop insertion
  2. Patrol Luzon Strait
  3. Deploy to Luzon Strait
  4. and sink enemy merchant shipping
  5. Patrol South China Sea
  6. Destroy troop transports

Five or six. Five if the game doesn't consider 'sink enemy merchant shipping' a sub-objective of 'Deploy to Luzon Strait. Both had their own Complete/Incomplete listings so I don't know how that figures into the programming. I really should have taken screens of it all right before I turned into port. I can take screenshots of the list of ships sunk, the date, and the MoH itself though. I'm still surprised I got it. It feels sort of anti-climactic, honestly.
yep, that'll do it.
usually 4 completed objectives and 5 figures of tonnage will earn you the top award.
i say "top award" because some mega-mods re-work the medals such that the highest award is the Navy Cross.

don't sweat it. awards are really meaningless as far as gameplay is concerned. you and your crew gain nothing by accumulating awards.

LAA enabled