SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 09-09-20, 08:20 PM   #1
Bubblehead1980
Navy Seal

Downloads: 550
Uploads: 42

Default Name of Brisbane Sub Command?

Submarines out of Pearl were under SUBPAC, Subs out of Fremantle were SUBSOWESPAC. What was the official command of subs out of Brisbane? Can't seem to locate an official name. Thanks.
Bubblehead1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-20, 09:59 PM   #2
Strykr
Mate

Downloads: 1076
Uploads: 0

A challenge !!!

I found this....

https://www.c7f.navy.mil/Media/News/...seventh-fleet/

This.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Fife_Jr.

And this.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United..._Seventh_Fleet

"The Seventh Fleet was formed on 15 March 1943 in Brisbane, Australia, during World War II, under the command of Admiral Arthur S. "Chips" Carpender.[citation needed] It served in the South West Pacific Area (SWPA) under General Douglas MacArthur. The Seventh Fleet commander also served as commander of Allied naval forces in the SWPA."

Last edited by Strykr; 09-10-20 at 02:05 AM.
Strykr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-20, 11:47 PM   #3
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22
Uploads: 0

^ Task Force 72 under capable Admiral Fife, a descendant of SUBSASIATIC based in the Philppines under ADM Hart is what I also come up with. That became the 7th Fleet with Task Force 72 submarines in Brisbane ably commanded by Admiral James Fife 1942-44. ADM Fife also served Task Force72 Seventh Fleet, Fremantle after a stint in Wash. DC as a war planner under ADM King. An able subordinate and independent commander- self-reliant warriorin his own right; meticulously planning his subs' campaigns; working on solutions to the American faulty Mark 14 torpedo issues; I suspect Adm. FIfe wasn't hung up on big command names.

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"

Last edited by Aktungbby; 09-10-20 at 12:19 AM.
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-20, 12:45 AM   #4
Bubblehead1980
Navy Seal

Downloads: 550
Uploads: 42

Thanks guys. I found most of those links. Just confused if the Brisbane Sub command was TF 72 or Submarines, 7th fleet , etc. The three big sub Admirals in the war are interesting to me. Lockwood seems to have been universally admired, respected and definitely ran a fine operation in SUBPAC. For others it seems 50/50, I believe it was because of how stubborn Christie was about the magnetic detonators, could be quite vindictive if someone "crossed" him and had a penchant for micromanagement. I recall Fluckey saying in his book he turned down Lockwood's offer to send Barb to Australia for a couple patrols due how Christie operated, which surprised Lockwood since Australia was the holy grail for WW 2 submariners. Fife was said to be a heavy handed micromanager. Going on pure memory as the book is put up with various books (moved recently) but believe Slade Cutter had issues with fife when Seahorse was out of Australia. Something about Fife micromanaging the paint schemes on subs, even those transients just in command for a patrol.

All good men. All human.All outstanding leaders. Just interesting is all.
Bubblehead1980 is offline   Reply With Quote