SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics > PC Hardware/Software forum
Forget password? Reset here

Old 10-06-16, 06:10 PM   #46
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9
Uploads: 0

Somebody asked for Firefox.

I simply recommend to use the following addons, that you can download from within Firefox: Adblock Plus (please exclude Neal's site from its blacklist!), since many malware can come in form of windiows with adverts popping up. Better Privacy, it helps to delete flash cookies and LSO cookiesd, the latter cna be extrenely danmgerous if abused, and cannot be detected or deleted by ordinary methods. Check this and use it manually at times, when you think of it. Ghostery, it is a sofweatre that supresses software autmatically runnign when you open a site that tries to track you down and log your behaviour, loading pop ups and relocating you. Interesting to get rid of unwanted surveillance and auto-relocating by adware and the likes. NoScript, it is a bit more complex in optiosn and allows black- and white listing as well as many options to switch off critical auto-scripting, Flash, Java and the likes. Not everybody likes my very rigid settings there, I tend to have much stuff switched off than most people have "on". But auto scripting is dangerous and potentially very harmful stuff, one should not take any chances there.

Also, check the options that Firefox allows, settings. Here, especially the data-security tab and privacy relevant optiions should be checked. Use the oriuvate mode, swithc of chrnicles, do not allow passwords to be saved (what is stored on your HD can be retrieved). The options you find on those tabs mostly should be self-explanatory - be conservative. You trade a little luxury and comfortable handling with much better protection. The more you leave to the computer to do automatically, the less safe you are.
Old 10-06-16, 07:10 PM   #47
BarracudaUAK
Captain

Downloads: 31

I really don't have a whole lot of time to go into detail right now, but I had typed this up as part of another post that I didn't actually post due to lack of time.

Not detailed, but does give a basic rundown for installing Fedora with KDE.

If you are not intending to "game" on your new Linux install -initially-, I think that KDE is the better alternative.

I am running Fedora 23/KDE on a desktop with a AMD 5600x2 (dual core 2.8ghz) 8GB RAM (formerly ran Fedora 20 with 4GB RAM), and currently running a XFX 6750 1GB (2 of them in crossfire actually).

It runs fast. Not as fast as the 8 core I'm typing on, but this PC is easily 4X what the old one is.
If your PC has less than 2 GB RAM, then go with something else.

BE WARNED: The lower the system requirements for a Linux Desktop, The less "polish" and fewer "easier to use" tools it will have.

THIS IS NOT A WALKTHROUGH.

This is simply to give you an "idea" of what you should expect to encounter.

I've edited this slightly, but only to make it "make sense".
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

First, some older BIOS versions will not boot from a USB stick...

I haven't tried Ubuntu 15.x or 16.x, but my installs of Fedora 20,23, and 24 all come as a LIVE DVD. (Download ISO, burn DVD, use.)
Similar to KNOPPIX (a LIVE CD/DVD, "forked" from (or based on) debian, like Ubuntu is), The OS is on the DVD and is loaded into a "ram drive" leaving your Hard Drives untouched.
You can view the drives, but the Distros that I have tried, set the drives to "read only", until you tell it otherwise, and you have to do that each time.
But only as long as you are running from the DVD. Keeps you from wiping out your installed linux/windows OS.

In Fedora, (has been 2 years since trying Ubuntu, so I'm not sure about it)
there is an "Install to Hard Drive" desktop icon in the top left corner of the desktop, you simply click that, and the installation starts.

Then you tell it which hard drive(s) you want to use, and then tell it how you want to use it (standard partition, Logical Volume, etc), click "automatically create partitions" (or something similar) and click "OK".
It will tell you what it is going to do, you click ok, then set time zone, and a few other simple things, and click install, and THEN it starts installing.
Then while that works, you set a "root" password and User account/password and let it finish.
Takes about 10-15 min on a dual-core 2.8 with a WD raptor HDD.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The most you might have trouble with is the partitioning the HDD. If you are not sure, just go with the recommended and you should be ok.

Barracuda

Last edited by BarracudaUAK; 10-06-16 at 07:20 PM.
BarracudaUAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-16, 08:04 PM   #48
BarracudaUAK
Captain

Downloads: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybird View Post
Plus with 50 years you are no longer that hot for new tech stuff anymore like you were when you were 16, 20, 25. Yoo start to appreciate known routines and comfort over innovation. LOL
I am already set in my ways.
I too like older things, so I can understand your point on that.
However, I still like to look at the new stuff, and learn about it.
Even if it is just to tell the person, that has been trying to make something "better" than what I like to use, where, when and how they messed up.

Quote:
That I start gaming under Linux, I do not expect within the coming years, probably never in my lifespan.
It is easier than you think, but a little more difficult than most of us would like.
Unless the game is written for Linux.
I have several games for Linux on Steam, they all run excellent.
The main problem I have, is Fedora doesn't ship/package proprietary software with the OS, so you have to get it yourself. I use the CLI, BUT you can get everything setup just by clicking on a link on the webpage.
Ubuntu/Mint would probably be easier.

Quote:
Security risks also are involved with using WINE. Its not as easy going as it sounds at first description.
Since WINE is an interface that allows programs to make Windows API calls, then if those calls are made with malicious intent, then they can cause harm.
If it wasn't possible, then Windows would be secure, and we wouldn't have one of the reasons to switch to Linux.

I understand why you are concerned, but I read an article somewhere a few years ago.
And they could only get a few viruses to actually "infect" the system using WINE.
Now WINE has improved, but it still won't run everything.
Not necessarily a bad thing...

And it is a bit difficult to get some games working, but WINETRICKS is your friend in that regard.

And Last but not Least:

The first year I used Linux exclusively, I had to check the net constantly for answers to questions I had. You are learning something new.

Think about this: How much would you actually know how to do in Win7 if you had NEVER used a computer before?
We walk in with you and you take a seat by this screen, and this Tall Grey Box.
And then we leave.
It's not even on, we just leave you here to figure it out.
How long would it take for anyone to figure it out?

I know an older Gentleman who used to work on UNIX. He used CAD programs, etc, and worked with UNIX all day.
This Man could have a conversation with us, a serious, intelligent conversation, and still be thinking of, at least, 2 other things at the same time.

But he couldn't work Windows, almost at all. Win95/98/2000/XP... he was lost.
We would have to tell him multiple times how to get to his e-mail.

In UNIX, he did everything as simple as most of us use Windows.

It's new and different. I have no doubt that it is a case of WHEN, not IF, you get into gaming on your Linux PC.

Barracuda

Last edited by BarracudaUAK; 10-06-16 at 08:27 PM.
BarracudaUAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-16, 02:50 PM   #49
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Downloads: 135
Uploads: 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlight View Post
@Skybird and RR, I have a spare PC that's doing nothing at the moment, how's about giving us a tutorial on installing Linux and which one to use cinnamon etc.
I've looked at various websites and have come away even more confused than I started about which one I should be using, for those of us who are un-initiated about all things Linux it would be a god send.
Sorry, moonlight I missed the earlier conversation. I'll get with an Ubuntu coaching session when I get home from work. Functionally, Mint would work identically but I'll use what I use so you will be able to follow step by step.

So starting tonight, "Install Ubuntu on your laptop" begins. I'll cover a couple things you aren't interested in, like dual boot systems and the best way to make those work for those who aren't looking to abandon Windows, just to expand their horizons. I'll start a new thread so we can have a focused thread. And it would allow Barracude to start one on Fedora and Skybird to do one on Mint if they like and we won't confuse anybody.

New thread: Install Linux on Moonlight's Spare Computer

Last edited by Rockin Robbins; 10-21-16 at 08:12 AM.
Rockin Robbins is offline   Reply With Quote