SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics > PC Hardware/Software forum
Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-29-09, 09:21 AM   #46
Fincuan
Admiral

Downloads: 39
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arclight View Post
I do have another question though: I'm planning a reïnstall. Instead of putting XP back on again, win7 would be an alternative.

From your personal experience, do you have...

Would be nice to switch; 64-bit, DX10... wait, do I even want those?
*edit: is it possible to legally get a newer build (now 7000) from MS?
Hi

I've used the 64-bit Windows 7 beta build 7000 since January, and my experiences with it have been really good.

1) Daemon Tools was the only that didn't work, but I found a good working replacement for it(Virtual Clonedrive). Mediaplayers, video editing stuff, photoeditors etc have been working straight out of the box. Windows 7 also contains quite a lot of codecs by default, so you shouldn't need any kind of codec packs anytime soon. I'm currently running only ffdshow in addition to Windows' default codecs, and haven't yet come across a video I couldn't play.

2) None. Everything worked 100% out of the box. I'm using Vista x64 drivers where available, and Vista x86 drivers when x64 isn't available.

3) None in my opinion. Stable as hell, fast and good. I haven't seen a BSOD in months, though I did get a few just after install due to bad LAN card drivers. The only problem I can think of is that it's a beta and it'll expire, forcing you to uninstall/reinstall stuff since it won't be possible to upgrade the beta to the full version. MS has however promised that beta users can upgrade to the release candidate that should be out in a few months, and that the RC keys won't expire until well into 2010.

I'm not aware of any means to get a newer than 7000 build from MS. AFAIK all the newer ones are "leaked".
Fincuan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-09, 10:15 AM   #47
CaptainHaplo
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 29
Drivers - easy answer - if it has a vista driver - it will work. The core kernel is vista based (don't let that scare you off - its much better - just used vista as the foundation). So if you can't get vista drivers for your HW, then it may be a problem for you in 7.

Stability - is great. I haven't had a single problem out of this box yet, and I have TRIED to cause it problems.

Program compatibility - well now there are a couple of things here. If you run 64 bit - no really old 16 bit stuff will work or install. There are ways around it, but if you have to use legacy stuff - avoid the 64 bit version. However, also remember there will be no 16 bit support from now on - so you might as well move away from 16 bit apps if your using them. Also - a couple of programs don't recognize the OS - I have an epson printer that installed great, worked great, and upon reboot is now generic. Tried updating the drivers and the app didn't recognize 7. These issues are short term - but they are there.

I also mentioned daemon tools not working - but clonedrive works great as an image mounter as is noted.

You mentioned DX10 - I have bad news. You won't get DX10 with 7. It has DX11 - though the word is they may swap down to 10.1 when they ship due to nvidia not having the ability to get their cards up to standard.

As for 64 bit - do you want it? Well - do you run over 3 gigs of ram? If so - yes.

Captain Haplo
CaptainHaplo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-09, 10:31 AM   #48
Arclight
Navy Seal

Location: Land of windmills, tulips, wooden shoes and cheese. Lots of cheese.
Downloads: 53
Uploads: 10

Thanks for the quick respons guys, I'm already backing stuff up and collecting new drivers. (once I get something in my head... )

One thing though; I have the 32-bit version . I downloaded it with the intention to run it on an older box only, but it's actually good enough to be a valid alternative for my "big iron".

No, I run 2GB. Been plenty with XP, so I guess there's no real reason for 64-bit anyway. I send an E-mail to MS asking abut the possibility to receive a 64-bit edition for evaluation, but I have this feeling it will be denied.

DX11 - yeah, noticed it had 11 this morning, when I ran DXDiag. Was a big surprise really, since there are rumours already that it won't be a part of the release.

Clonedrives aren't really a part of my day to day stuff. Used to use images extensively, but the DRM of late won't allow you to play from image. :shrug:

I should check if I can boot from the disk. I don't remember making the disk bootable, just installed from XP on the other PC...
*edit: Yep, works like a charm. Will I need preinstall drivers, and will I get the option to format C: drive during install?

Contritium praecedit superbia.

Last edited by Arclight; 03-29-09 at 10:42 AM.
Arclight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-09, 12:30 PM   #49
CaptainHaplo
Silent Hunter

Unless your using some wacky raid array - you won't need any preinstall drivers.

Yes - you can do a disk format (quick only) as well as repartition if you feel a need. Its an "advanced" option but I don't recall exactly where at.

And my own printer issues wasn't 7's fault - I just bought the printer yesterday and installed it - had to start the spooler module (as I had tweaked and disabled it previously) so when I rebooted - it didnt autostart. Have set it to auto and all is good.

Edit - installing - be prepared to be suprised - its fast, needs little user input, and pretty automatic.

Captain Haplo
Old 03-29-09, 01:25 PM   #50
Arclight
Navy Seal

I went through the install once already, pretty painless indeed.

I have a RAID0 array, which contains the page-file and games, but it's not the primary drive for the OS (1 drive, 2 partitions; OS+DATA/ 1 array with 2 partitions; PAGE+GAMES). Shouldn't be a problem, right?

Only quick format? Then how the heck am I going to do a full one? Guess I have to dig up MS-DOS again... that's gonna be a pain.

Any alternative for a full format of c: drive?

edit: recovery console perhaps?
edit2: RC should do the trick. Thanks Fincuan, CaptainH I'm "taking the plunge".

Last edited by Arclight; 03-29-09 at 03:37 PM.
Old 03-29-09, 07:10 PM   #51
CaptainHaplo
Silent Hunter

You should be fine with that. As for a full format - just do a quick - no need to do a full as your just going to overwrite later. Quick is fine unless you actually NEED to check for bad sectors.

Captain Haplo
Old 03-31-09, 05:59 AM   #52
SteveW1
Watch Officer

Downloads: 75

Well after going back to a previous build of Win 7 and trying to still work out the networking in it after 7 days I gotta say stuff it for the moment and reformated and put XP pro back on until M$ releases the RC1 (release candidate) for Win 7 I might then reinstall it to see if they have fixed the networking side of the OS.

I have got to say Microsoft should at least put out a product that is able to recognize either previous or newer versions of the OS, My wifes system which is sitting 5 feet away from my computer can see my computer but not access it even though I have given permission for it but Win 7 will not recognize XP in any network settings at all unless you go through a really stupid and roundabout way of adding a shortcut to it which is not networking.

Other than the networking side of Win 7 I have to say that for a Beta M$ have so far a good product but they need to fine tune it a bit more.

Steve
Old 03-31-09, 08:57 AM   #53
Arclight
Navy Seal

Yeah, I'm struggling with the networking as well. Seems that you can't designate a workgroup on Win7. The XP PC will be part of a workgroup (default MSHOME), but since you can't add the Win7 PC to that homegroup it won't work. I can see the XP PC if I look at the network map btw, just can't connect(?). Thought about renaming the second network (Win7 PC>switch>XP PC) to match the workgroup name, but the network is listed as "unidentified network" making it impossible to change.

Also, the second NIC has an invalid IP config according to Win7. Troubleshooter suggests resetting router, but my router isn't even on that network!

It's gonna take time to figure out, if it's even possible.

*edit: I has made progress
1. Right-click "computer" in start menu
2. select "map network drive"
3. in the window that pops up, select the "connect to a website that you can use to store your documents and pictures" link
4. follow the wizard. When you get to the 3rd window (I think), there's a "browse" button. Click it and Win will search the network, and the XP PC should pop up there and let you select a shared folder from it.

So mapping a network location on a XP PC from a Win7 PC works perfect.
Don't know yet about the other way around though.

Last edited by Arclight; 03-31-09 at 09:17 AM.
Old 03-31-09, 10:21 AM   #54
Arclight
Navy Seal

I has made more progress.

Pretty much the same thing for "XP to Win7"

1. right click "my computer" in start menu
2. select "map network drive"
3. select "sign up for online storage or connect to a network server" link
4. follow wizard. Select "browse" button on 3rd screen. Click "entire network" > "Microsoft Windows Network" > "Workgroup" and the Win7 PC should list there. Select shared folder and click "OK".

If the Win7 PC is listed but you can't browse it, enter the network address of the shared folder manually; instead of clicking the browse button in step 4, enter the address (example: \\WIN7PC\Shared Folder). Complete the wizard.

These network locations won't show up in "my computer" in XP, but you can select "My Network Places" on the left (under "Other Places") and you'll find it there. It's also possible to add "My Network Places" to the start menu by ticking an option (in "Customize Start Menu") for ease of use.

Maybe adding a network location is somehow different then a network drive (wouldn't know, least experience is with networking), but for all my intents and purposes it works fine; access location on another PC over a network and manipulate files. You can stream music and video, or copy stuff back and forth no problem.

Old 03-31-09, 08:37 PM   #55
CaptainHaplo
Silent Hunter

Homegroups is an absolute mess. No doubt about it. The idea is sound - but not being able to be backwards compatible - its a fairly large step that needs to be implimented better. They are getting there.

Between 2 7 boxes its still a bit wacky - but not really horrible. I really would like to see how it does on a domain - but work won't let me put it on there for a test .... yet. This might be a good time to live by the rule its better to ask forgiveness than it is to ask permission. However, I will have to do it on a test domain if I play that way.

Captain Haplo
Old 03-31-09, 09:11 PM   #56
Wolfehunter
Crusty Capt.

Downloads: 40
Uploads: 25

I like windows 7. It runs my games better. I can get smoother game play than in vista.

I don't hate vista I just like things that work more efficient. I also find windows 7 more user friendly.
Old 04-14-09, 03:42 PM   #57
longam
Admiral

Downloads: 26

It sounds like Windows 7 RC release coming soon.

http://blogs.msdn.com/e7/
longam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-09, 03:47 PM   #58
AVGWarhawk
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 90

May or June I'm guessing. Poor buggers who ran the beta. MS recommends they start fresh with the RC. I wonder if their copy is then free Doubt it
Old 04-14-09, 04:57 PM   #59
Zachstar
Sea Lord

Downloads: 13

Windows 7 is great!

Trust me it is a HUGE departure from Vista. Processes are lower than expected and it boots and shuts down fast.

Finally I am no longer tempted to shut down the flashy features to reduce overhead! It just works.

Now I strongly suggest you do not use it as your main OS but when it does become available for purchase I will buy.

Zachstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-09, 05:00 PM   #60
longam
Admiral

Downloads: 26

Oh I'm sure they'll get a free copy, I received Vista Business for free from Channel 9 forum. Just watched 3 training seminars and answered a quiz at the end.
longam is offline   Reply With Quote