SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics > PC Hardware/Software forum
Forget password? Reset here

Old 10-24-08, 01:50 PM   #76
GlobalExplorer
Admiral

Downloads: 165
Uploads: 0

From the silentpcreview article:

Quote:
Finally there's the issue of price. Scythe Slip Stream fans typically sell in the US and Canada for no more than $10, sometimes as little as $8. This is a far cry from the $15~20 for a Nexus 120 or $18~25 for a Noctua 120. It's not the bargain basement value price of $3~5 for a Yate Loon 120, but the Scythes are actually a bit quieter, packed for better protection in transit, and come with cable adapters. They will go, at least for now, to the top of SPCR's fan rankings.
http://www.silentpcreview.com/article832-page1.html

GlobalExplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-08, 06:38 PM   #77
CaptainHaplo
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 29

GE - water cooling is definitely not for everyone. While your "radiator" will use fans - they are usually mounted in such a way as to make literally no perceptable noise. The reason I like liquid is because its safe, VERY effective and VERY quite. Plus there is no need to constantly be pulling and cleaning filters.

I think this is a case for th 12cm fans though. Thanks for the link - may use them in a rig or 2 in the future!

Captain Haplo
CaptainHaplo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-08, 08:45 PM   #78
SUBMAN1
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neal Stevens
Well, I stopped by the college computer lab and went over options with the experts. Still not sure which way to go with the cores, but I learned a lot from just 30 minutes with Brian. For example, I have to decide if I want an SLI MB or a Crossfire MB. The search continues.....
If you go ATI, you want crossfire. Since you are looking at ATI, crossfire seems like a viable option, but if you don't plan to run two heate.... I mean two video cards in your system, it really doesn't matter.

-S
Old 10-24-08, 11:20 PM   #79
Wolfehunter
Crusty Capt.

Downloads: 40
Uploads: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldorak
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlobalExplorer
Gigabyte is a good choice if you just want a running system and dont mind the silly colors.
Color is not an issue unless your computer case has a side window. :p

Quote:
I also keep hearing good things about Biostar. Allegedly a lot of the former Abit engineers have switched to Biostar.

But I don't know about the intel boards, imo they are really very basic and overpriced.
Intel boards are quite good.
They have 3 year warranty and most are feature rich.
Don't try to do heavy overclocking though.
I've alway bought Intel board because I don't OC. So their extremely good and stable. If you OC I don't know and from what I've herd isn't a good idea for intel. But I could be wrong.
Old 10-25-08, 01:17 AM   #80
GlobalExplorer
Admiral

From what I gather getting a Wolfdale and not overclocking 20% is really a waste. Once, after running the system for ~ 2hrs, I switched off and removed the heatsink from the E8400, then carefully touched the CPU to check how much the processor had heated up. Nothing. At stock it can be cooled passively I guess.

Sure some people just dont want to mess with their computer, but from a technical standpoint it's safe.

Old 10-25-08, 01:49 AM   #81
goldorak
Admiral

Downloads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainHaplo
GE - water cooling is definitely not for everyone. While your "radiator" will use fans - they are usually mounted in such a way as to make literally no perceptable noise. The reason I like liquid is because its safe, VERY effective and VERY quite. Plus there is no need to constantly be pulling and cleaning filters.

I think this is a case for th 12cm fans though. Thanks for the link - may use them in a rig or 2 in the future!

Using safe to describe a situation where water is flowing inside a case full of electronic components is a little too much. :rotfl:
Water cooling is good for extreme overclocking, but an excellent air cooled solution doesn't have the drawbacks of liquid cooling and can be as quite.
Especially when you're using high quality fans at low rpms.
I have 4 12cm fans in my computer and they are literally inaudible.
goldorak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-08, 10:34 AM   #82
GlobalExplorer
Admiral

Out of curiosity, do water cooled systems really work with water? I thought they would use non-conducting liquids by now??

Otherwise I'd stay the hell away from it! Because introducing the natural enemy of electronics (water) into your computer, is not a very good idea.

Besides, as I said, the noise argument is a thing of the past with the current generation of 12cm fans. The only real advantage of watercooling is performance, but you only need that for extreme overclocking.

Old 10-25-08, 10:34 PM   #83
Webster
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlobalExplorer
Out of curiosity, do water cooled systems really work with water? I thought they would use non-conducting liquids by now??
they do, but its messy. yes a water leak shorts out all your equipt but an oil leak even though its non conductive will slime everything it touches so pick your poison.

there was even a you tube video showing a guy running his whole system in an aquarium filled with vegtable oil, power supply and all. there are many non conductive oils out there that work but the very expensive pumps last longer when used with water (actually antifreeze mixture so it doesnt cause corrosion) because its easier to push water than oil due to the viscocity level.

IMHO water cooling is only "needed" if your a serious overclocker and need something to control "excessive" heat.
Old 10-26-08, 08:49 PM   #84
CaptainHaplo
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 29
They dont use water - you use a non-conducting liquid - most are not only non-conductive and non-corrosive, but also biodegradable. They also tend to have much higher abilities to transfer heat than "pure" water. Water alone has a 25x higher ability to move heat than does air.

Guys, this is said with all due respect - ie I am not trying to be an A$$, but the attitude toward liquid cooling is a bit archaic. It did used to be a quirky and difficult thing. But that was years ago. Just like everything else, it has matured.

The idea that liquid is only for overclockers isnt right either. Why do most PC components fail? HEAT! The fact is that in a "standard" gamers rig - someone who doesnt overclock but just builds a sweet machine to play on - liquid cooling will often cut temps anywhere from 25-50 percent. Sure liquid is great for overclocking - but for the guy running a high end system - its very good too. The drawbacks are its not as easy to install - takes patience and attention to detail. The positives - no monthly cleaning of filters and fans, just a once a year tank fill - along with components that LAST LONGER since they are kept COOLER.

Liquid cooling is not for everyone and every application. But if your going to build a box for gaming - your well served to look at it as an option!

A couple of helpful links:

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...r-pc,1573.html

www.xoxide.com

Captain Haplo
CaptainHaplo is offline   Reply With Quote