SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Current crop of subsims & naval games > COLD WATERS
Forget password? Reset here

Old 12-19-20, 10:43 AM   #1
Firebar
Watch

Downloads: 3
Uploads: 0
Default Model Import Framework for Cold Waters

Hi All,

Over the last few months I have been working on an import framework for Cold Waters to improve the extensibility of the game. v1.0.1.0 is available for download here: https://github.com/FirebarSim/Cold-Waters-Expanded

This is more of an import framework than a mod, though I have included a bunch of unfinished assets as examples of what can be done. It provides, as of version 1.0.1.0:
  • Ability to load gLTF model files at run time, providing easy modding of new models
  • Ability to load Unity AssetBundles, providing the full power of the Unity materials system etc, some particles are supported at the moment and more will be as I continue work.
  • X Plane functionality, to support vessels such as the Suffren
  • Mesh visibility functionality, to show and hide mesh based on some conditions
  • Mesh translate function, to translate mesh when a condition is met or not
  • Nation Flags, extra flags in the Unit Reference viewer
  • A fix to allow an odd number of Torpedo tubes
  • Removed the necessity to add all new vessels to the _vessel_list.txt file, the game will load and sort new vessels on load
  • Removed the necessity to add all new aircraft to the aircraft.txt file, the game will append individual aircraft definition files in a search for override\\aircraft\\aircraft_*.txt to this file.
  • Removed the necessity to add all new weapons to the weapons.txt file, the game will append individual weapon definition files in a search for override\\weapons\\weapon_*.txt for Torpedoes and Missiles, override\\weapons\\mortar_*.txt and override\\weapons\\gun_*.txt for "Depth Weapons", and override\\weapons\\countermeasure_*.txt for Countermeasures to this file.
  • Removed the necessity to add Depth Weapon Descriptions to the depth_weapon_display_names.txt file in whatever language is chosen. The game will look in the individual weapon files as described above for language_xx= and add that to the sensor descriptions.
  • Removed the necessity to add all new sensors to the sensors.txt file, the game will append individual weapon definition files in a search for override\\sensors\\radar_*.txt and override\\sensors\\sonar_*.txt to this file.
  • Removed the necessity to add Sensor Descriptions to the sensor_display_names.txt file in whatever language is chosen. The game will look in the individual sensor files as described above for language_xx= and add that to the sensor descriptions. Removed the need to add single mission names to the list in a language. The game now looks for language_xx in the mission files (of the form \\override\\single*.txt and adds that to the single missions list.
  • Some game fixes

Please note that this has only been tested by me on my machine, please let me know if you try it and encounter any issues and I shall try my best to fix them.

Firebar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-20, 11:06 AM   #2
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Default welcome aboard!

Firebar!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-20, 11:09 AM   #3
Firebar
Watch

I do hope I have made a record here, member for 10 years, posts 1.
Old 12-19-20, 11:12 AM   #4
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Nah! the Pandemic Lockdown has brought 'em to the surface from even further back!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-20, 11:29 AM   #5
steel shark
XO

Downloads: 48
Uploads: 5

Default looks good

ill try if tomorrow after ive dealt with things

any new methods for adding new content is very welcome by me so cheers Firebar & thanks for sharing

as for lock down bring long lost members to the surface see the pic ....

Steel Shark

Last edited by steel shark; 01-14-21 at 03:25 PM.
steel shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-20, 12:04 PM   #6
Firebar
Watch

What you might find particularly useful is the segragation of the files so that you have less chances of things overwriting each other and causing issues.
Old 12-20-20, 08:51 PM   #7
NavyGuy570
Seaman

Downloads: 6
radar

Hello sir! Very nice work! With the conditional stuff and extra code changes, I’d consider making them “adding”. For example if I wanted the conditional changes with viable flags and crew, I can take just that and the importer. Also, guess who?
NavyGuy570 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-20, 04:24 AM   #8
M134
Mate

Downloads: 24

@Firebar
Congratulations with release! Awesome work!

@NavyGuy570
Yep, We know who you are Hello here)
I think it would be hard to make this like bunch of separate features, cause somel features could be in the same files and even be connected between each other.
M134 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-20, 07:18 AM   #9
Firebar
Watch

You cannot have the conditional stuff without a change to the importer code. What I am doing is when the game calls the vessel builder function I intercept it an replace their code with my own (hence why for the moment this is unlikely to work with Epic Mod).

Currently it does very little beyond just the import, though there are a few fixes. When I get to the point of adding more functionality I will look at including a config file too.

As a demo of what can be added here is a sample of the models that I have made so far. All of these are scratch built in Blender by myself from reference images. Obviously some are not completed but it, I hope, shows my aspirations.

HMS Dreadnought - S.101 - The RN's first nuc sub, the back end was heavily based on the Skipjack.

Trafalgar-class - The ubiqutous T boats, still in service today. Introduced around the Cold Waters timeline.

Leander-class - A widely exported and popular GP Frigate that came with a selection of weapons, including the twin 4.5" mount, Exocet, Ikara, and Sea Wolf.

Type 42 - A workhorse of the RN, the minimum viable destroyer that could be built. These ships served the RN will into the 2000s with two being sunk in the Falklands war.

River Batch 2 - A modern OPV of which the 5th was recently delivered to the RN.

Mk 8 Mod 4 Torpedo - The torpedo that sank the General Belgrano, a wartime straight running torpedo.

Mk 20S - One of the early homing torpedoes of the RN.

Mk 24 Tigerfish - Not a good torpedo, but passive/active etc.

Spearfish - One of the best torpedoes in the world, fast and hard hitting. Designed to deal with Alfas.

Mk 50 plus UUM-125B - The Sea Lance standoff ASW Torpedo, the ASROC replacement as was.
Old 12-21-20, 07:24 AM   #10
steel shark
XO

Downloads: 48
Uploads: 5

Default nise work on models

they look good and i appreciate the time spent on making stuff as i make models and game assets my self all the time

for cold waters & other games

any new modders that add new content in any form

audio

models

coding

textures

ect

are a great addition

ive looked this morning at your frame work

again the more ways we have to improve coldwaters the better we can make it

Steel Shark