Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 5
Forget password? Reset here

Old 09-25-20, 01:49 PM   #1
bstanko6
Admiral

Downloads: 390
Uploads: 13

Default Which SH to play?

If you are like me, you are a person who is looking to identify himself with one of the many Silent Hunter series games out there.

But which one do we play?

Here is a quick rundown of the games and whether they are for you or not:

Silent Hunter 1
- for those that are nostalgic and like playing older games.

Silent Hunter 2
- for those that want a different perspective of the war and enjoy older games.

Silent Hunter 3
- for those that love U-Boats and mods that will customize your copy of the game to a point that you can call it “your” game! Mod lovers eat your heart out!

Silent Hunter 4
- for the patriotic US players and veterans. For me, I compare SH4 to an old Studebaker car, I don’t personally want one, but my grandfather had one so I would buy that car for the nostalgic memories!

Silent Hunter 5
- For those of you who are willing to forgo all of the crazy mods in SH3, but you want the eye candy. This game has the graphics that will make you feel the salt of the Atlantic sting your lips, and with the wolves of steel mod, it plays comparable to SH3

Happy gaming! .

DISCORD
https://discord.gg/6tFeTSUmVc
bstanko6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-20, 10:56 PM   #2
Mad Mardigan
Admiral

Downloads: 491
Uploads: 0

Default Re: Concerning SH4...

Just to let it be known, SH4 does have a couple of mega mods to change up the over all outlook of just the standard fare of SH4 vanilla or stock, if you will.

These are, of course:

U. S. career wise, Fall of the Rising Sun - Ultimate EN, currently v1.24

Kriegsmarine wise, there is Operation Monsun: Dark Waters, which got its start with lurker, as Operation Monsun and added to by Fifi... 1st with Operation Monsun: Enhanced & reworked to Dark Waters. Dark Waters, being the latest version as of now... NOT to say it won't undergo further revision... hopefuly, it gets some more work but, as is, is pretty good. It has a close to SH3 feel, but with SH4 graphics enhanced with the addition of Uboat compilation, thereby giving the Uboats a more.. realistic look to them. Hopefully, someone can do something similar in the Fleet boat side of the SH4 sub sim, which would be a nice thing

For those, that wonder what the jolly good side of sub warfare was like.. meaning the Royal Navy, then there is ''We dive at dawn''... a bit.. rough about the edges, but.. given some love & attention, as has the U.S & Kriegsmarine side of sub warfare.. would be a most welcome addition to the mega line up for SH4

Finally, it goes without saying, there is.. or was, the last I checked.. 1 in the works for the IJN side of the sub wars... named ''Climb Mt. Niitaka''

Hopefully, there is still work ongoing on this, as I for one.. would definitely welcome it...

These, are just a few of the mega's I know of for SH4.. who knows, with time maybe there might be others...

M. M.

Last edited by Mad Mardigan; 10-15-20 at 04:09 PM. Reason: Re: corrected a slight error in grammar... d'oh...
Mad Mardigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-20, 12:14 AM   #3
Ashikaga
Commodore

Downloads: 31
Uploads: 0

Only played two subsims in my life so far.

1. Aces of the Deep (windows version with voice command) (on CD ROM)

2. SH5 with The Wolves of Steel Megamod.
(Waited years till I saw the game was finally working)

Love SH5 TWoS. Best immersive U boat sim out there as far as I am concerned. Play realtime and have been playing for longer than WWII lasted.

OLtzS Ashikaga.

(For the rest I play flightsims like IL2 Cliffs of Dover and DCS and virtually all Total War games except for that fantasy one. Now waiting till Three Kingdoms comes down to what I am willing to pay for a computer game)
Old 10-06-20, 05:05 PM   #4
Macgregor the Hammer
Chief

Downloads: 535
Uploads: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashikaga View Post
Only played two subsims in my life so far.

1. Aces of the Deep (windows version with voice command) (on CD ROM)

2. SH5 with The Wolves of Steel Megamod.
(Waited years till I saw the game was finally working)

Love SH5 TWoS. Best immersive U boat sim out there as far as I am concerned. Play realtime and have been playing for longer than WWII lasted.

OLtzS Ashikaga.

(For the rest I play flightsims like IL2 Cliffs of Dover and DCS and virtually all Total War games except for that fantasy one. Now waiting till Three Kingdoms comes down to what I am willing to pay for a computer game)
My line up:

SH 4 Fall of the Rising Sun Ultimate. It's just good fun!

SH 4 Trigger Maru Overhauled. It's full immersion, a major challenge and a lot of mods available.

SH 4 Dark Waters. A solid challenge and I can con a Type IX

SH 5 The Wolves of Steel. Good immersion, a ton a tools available and well, it's nice looking.

I'm not bored with sub sims