SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter III
Forget password? Reset here

Old 09-25-20, 01:47 PM   #1
bstanko6
Admiral

Downloads: 390
Uploads: 13

Default Which Silent Hunter to play?

If you are like me, you are a person who is looking to identify himself with one of the many Silent Hunter series games out there.

But which one do we play?

Here is a quick rundown of the games and whether they are for you or not:

Silent Hunter 1
- for those that are nostalgic and like playing older games.

Silent Hunter 2
- for those that want a different perspective of the war and enjoy older games.

Silent Hunter 3
- for those that love U-Boats and mods that will customize your copy of the game to a point that you can call it “your” game! Mod lovers eat your heart out!

Silent Hunter 4
- for the patriotic US players and veterans. For me, I compare SH4 to an old Studebaker car, I don’t personally want one, but my grandfather had one so I would buy that car for the nostalgic memories!

Silent Hunter 5
- For those of you who are willing to forgo all of the crazy mods in SH3, but you want the eye candy. This game has the graphics that will make you feel the salt of the Atlantic sting your lips, and with the wolves of steel mod, it plays comparable to SH3

Happy gaming! .

DISCORD
https://discord.gg/6tFeTSUmVc
bstanko6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-20, 03:40 PM   #2
FUBAR295
Krusty Krab

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 0

Nice analysis of the various Silent Hunters, I think you hit the nail on the head.

I never played SH1 and no desire for nostalgic graphics and sounds.

I played SH 2 and really loved the game, though I would probably not really feel the same since playing SH3.

SH 3 ... what can I say.

Never owned a copy of SH4, why I do not know as my interest in submarines where sparked by shows when I was a kid like Silent Service and Victory at Sea. Guess I should get a copy.

Have SH 5 and played a few times with it but even with TWOS and did not like the game play and the like, great looking game though.

Good hunting,
FUBAR295

FUBAR295 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-20, 03:48 PM   #3
Gerald
SUBSIM Newsman

Downloads: 548

Very nice.

Marie Curie

Gerald is online   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-20, 12:53 AM   #4
Anvar1061
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 846

Old 09-26-20, 02:35 AM   #5
Fifi
Navy Seal

Downloads: 452

I own SH3/4/5 , all discs, and have to say when modded they are all nice!
But SH3 still have my preference actually for various reasons.

Fifi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-20, 12:10 PM   #6
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63

Quote:
Originally Posted by bstanko6 View Post
If you are like me, you are a person who is looking to identify himself with one of the many Silent Hunter series games out there.

But which one do we play?

Here is a quick rundown of the games and whether they are for you or not:

Silent Hunter 1
- for those that are nostalgic and like playing older games.

Silent Hunter 2
- for those that want a different perspective of the war and enjoy older games.

Silent Hunter 3
- for those that love U-Boats and mods that will customize your copy of the game to a point that you can call it “your” game! Mod lovers eat your heart out!

Silent Hunter 4
- for the patriotic US players and veterans. For me, I compare SH4 to an old Studebaker car, I don’t personally want one, but my grandfather had one so I would buy that car for the nostalgic memories!

Silent Hunter 5
- For those of you who are willing to forgo all of the crazy mods in SH3, but you want the eye candy. This game has the graphics that will make you feel the salt of the Atlantic sting your lips, and with the wolves of steel mod, it plays comparable to SH3

Happy gaming! .
SINK EM ALL!

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-20, 12:43 PM   #7
Von_Fleming
Swabbie

Downloads: 12

SH1 was far superior among SH1, SH2, and SH3, until the SH community did its miraculous work in providing mods that transformed a stock game, SH3, like no other. While there are some decent mega mods for SH4, Trigger Maru Overhauled, Fall of the Rising Sun etc., GWX was developed over more years and, as a result, makes SH3 + GWX feels immersive like no other game and mega mod duo. The devotion to authenticity and detail in GWX is just incredible.
Von_Fleming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-20, 01:11 PM   #8
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63

Welcome to SubSim

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-20, 01:13 PM   #9
Gerald
SUBSIM Newsman

Downloads: 548

Welcome to SubSim Von Fleming!

Marie Curie

Gerald is online   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-20, 10:52 PM   #10
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Von_Fleming!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-20, 08:08 PM   #11
Von_Fleming
Swabbie

Downloads: 12

Thanks! The pandemic has, if something positive must be wrought, allowed me more time to return to old 'sub commands.' Granted, it has been a while and the skills are rusty: my first foray in SH3 + GWX was disastrous... sunk by an ASW trawler that lay a string of depth charges across me on the second day of war with Great Britain. I'd been trailing a wounded small merchant that I'd torpedoed when the trawler appeared, its shelling forcing me under. I took it for granted that the trawler would have sonar and, as such, wasn't making any effort to run quietly in continuing to trail the small merchant (hoping for confirmation of sinking). The trawler picked up my acoustic signature fine...guess I should paid more attention to the 'ASW' part and less to the 'trawler' part - embarrassing to be sunk by a fishing boat on only the second day of the war with Britain. They day prior I'd made my patrol area and was fortunate to sink another armed trawler and two coastal merchants without torpedo malfunction. With the possibility of adding a small merchant to the tally, I'd been looking at a pretty good sortie for a Type II boat...then died. In Cold Waters I had a similar experience...sailing a Skipjack, I was high on having just sunk a Victor (compared to a Skipjack...a formidable boat) when two torpedoes appeared out of nowhere from the deep and forced me to emergency blow in order to evade. I broke the surface, and promptly started being pummeled by a Krivak and a Udaloy that I'd taken in for granted could also be present when engaging a "submarine" contact. One of the torpedoes struck me anyhow and...down I went, two more torpedoes impacting my boat before my bow plowed into the bottom...never to rise again. Fortunate that my entire crew was lost as the Soviets would likely put that performance down to mechanical malfunction...the U.S. Navy safe from embarrassment as the Soviets would never know the vessel truly 'was' commanded with such incompetence!
Von_Fleming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-20, 09:02 PM   #12
CapZap1970
Sea Lord

Downloads: 259
Uploads: 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Von_Fleming View Post
Thanks! The pandemic has, if something positive must be wrought, allowed me more time to return to old 'sub commands.' Granted, it has been a while and the skills are rusty: my first foray in SH3 + GWX was disastrous... sunk by an ASW trawler that lay a string of depth charges across me on the second day of war with Great Britain. I'd been trailing a wounded small merchant that I'd torpedoed when the trawler appeared, its shelling forcing me under. I took it for granted that the trawler would have sonar and, as such, wasn't making any effort to run quietly in continuing to trail the small merchant (hoping for confirmation of sinking). The trawler picked up my acoustic signature fine...guess I should paid more attention to the 'ASW' part and less to the 'trawler' part - embarrassing to be sunk by a fishing boat on only the second day of the war with Britain. They day prior I'd made my patrol area and was fortunate to sink another armed trawler and two coastal merchants without torpedo malfunction. With the possibility of adding a small merchant to the tally, I'd been looking at a pretty good sortie for a Type II boat...then died. In Cold Waters I had a similar experience...sailing a Skipjack, I was high on having just sunk a Victor (compared to a Skipjack...a formidable boat) when two torpedoes appeared out of nowhere from the deep and forced me to emergency blow in order to evade. I broke the surface, and promptly started being pummeled by a Krivak and a Udaloy that I'd taken in for granted could also be present when engaging a "submarine" contact. One of the torpedoes struck me anyhow and...down I went, two more torpedoes impacting my boat before my bow plowed into the bottom...never to rise again. Fortunate that my entire crew was lost as the Soviets would likely put that performance down to mechanical malfunction...the U.S. Navy safe from embarrassment as the Soviets would never know the vessel truly 'was' commanded with such incompetence!

No, I don't think you are incompetent... as you said, you are rusty, that's it. nothing that a short visit to the Academy (basic training) can't fix..

After that, a couple of single player missions and in no time you will be ready for some serious tonnage...

BTW, welcome to SUBSIM!!!

CapZap