SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Current crop of subsims & naval games > UBOAT
Forget password? Reset here

Old 01-18-20, 11:11 AM   #1
reignofdeath
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:
Default Played a bit now and a few suggestions for devs hopefully.

So I am enjoying it, while its not SH it scratches an itch. I actually find the management of the crew quite enjoying during the journey, although values could be tuned a bit. Its a bit frustrating to have to conduct management during engagements though as it seemingly makes linking up and doing good manual shots really tough, and I don't get the most satisfaction by just telling them come up w/ a solution over and over then just clicking fire.

That being said I had some suggestions:

1. To cater to the more SH player, and I think something that would be beneficial, allow us to have like... 3-4 sets of stations arrangements. So you could sit all of your officers at a station w/ various sailors assigned to them. Then save it. Maybe add something so the more you use it the more efficiently your sailors move to those stations from any other state. My idea was essentially you'd have configurations for say Normal Travel, Underwater Travel (gotta swap the Radio to hydrophones), Battle Stations (Time to sinky sinky), and Crash Dive. Then you could hit the corresponding mapped button and automagically move all your men over. This allows you to ease off the management a bit when it comes to switching. And like I said you balance it make it give your crew a penalty in speed/getting up on those systems until you've practiced it alot (used it alot, running drills for example). In addition to this, maybe a routines page where upon certain actions you can define a certain officer to hanlde something (Upon surfacing, go turn the pumps on when you can, and turn on the compressor. If thats not possible ,then maybe a way to designate a surface and underwater position for an officer. So I can finally make my damn radioman just swap to hydrophones instead of forgetting.

2. I'd like to see more realism options implemented. My main thing is the health bar in the bottom left. I'd honestly just like to see it removed. But for the most part its actually alot more managed than SH series (Gotta pump bilge water out, etc.

3. Take heating torpedoes out of the basic todo of X officers. They are always trying to go heat them when I don't need them to and its a PITA to get them to do such.

4. Didn't see it so maybe I missed it but a way to manually control diveplanes when underwater.

5. Unless I am using a mod, during battle situations morale absolutely plummets. So I'd like to see a tweak that if you are in Battlestations, you don't drain morale more than normal until after a set period of time. Realistically heightened states of alertness like that are meant to be feasible for a certain # of hours. Afterwards units morale/effectiveness drops considerably. It was SUPER frustrating in an attempt to get ahead of a contact we had just spotted I had people at full stations (all my officers up) with plenty of energy, and they drained easily in about an hour. The main thing seemed to be the fact that we were tracking a contact.

6. It would be more correct (and I think playable) to have officers with enlisted under their charge have the enlisted run to do the other tasks you assign them. Like for example, telling the Engineroom Officer to turn the compressor on, thats something that would most likely be handled by his subordinates.

7. I'd quite like a way to control rudder/depth/engine all from keyboard manually. Not just full right and left but center and incremental.

8. The addition of more shipping lanes which are frequented (and dare I say a BDU map showing such) so we can hunt our preferred areas.

EDIT:
9. Would also love to be able to get a "Whats the weather like watch bridge?" command. As well as the ability to request a future forecast from BDU (if that was even a thing).

All in all its pretty good as it is. Quite fun and pretty. Just had some ideas for tweaks. Would love to see it continue on the course w/ the options for more realism/manual/etc. I am really quite liking it overall, the career is fun and the random do XYZ radio transmissions are quite immersive and breaks up your patrols from just sinking ships to having to go save fellow U-Boats, etc.

Last edited by reignofdeath; 01-18-20 at 11:26 AM. Reason: Forgot one.