Click here to access the Tanksim website
SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

BUYING GAMES, BOOKS, ELECTRONICS, and STUFF
THROUGH THIS LINK SUPPORTS SUBSIM, THANKS!

The Web's #1 BBS for all submarine and naval simulations!

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > Tanksim.com

Old 03-27-09, 11:06 AM   #16
ontos
Watch

Downloads: 1
Uploads: 0

Thank all of you for the information. I guess now my over all and final question is; For someone like me who has never driven a tank before except like in "Steel Fury" (which doesn't compare to "Steel Beast"), and my knowledge of computers is not that great, would it be worth buying, or is "Steel Beast Pro" still a good sim. for a old rookie? I wish they had a demo. you could play. I'm sorry for these questions, I just don't want to get over my head.
ontos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-09, 01:04 PM   #17
porphy
Commodore

Downloads: 4

Hi Ontos

I think you will be just fine. I had done no tank sims at all when I got Steel Beast Pro PE. I didn’t find it hard to get into. Driving the tank is very easy with a keyboard. Using the gun optics efficient takes a little training, but it's more or less a point and click affair with mouse and keyboard, nothing fancy. There is a tank range to train aiming and shooting, which is good instead of going into a battle and try to learn. Going into a big battle unprepared will get you slaughtered in no time.

Steel Beast Pro PE is not like a flight simulator where taking of or general flying might be hard to achieve without any former practice. The sim is in my view very friendly to start out with, and you quickly get used to interfaces and map functions. Just keep doing the tutorials, but pick one tank and concentrate on that one first. The good thing is the depth and scale you can keep expanding into, when you get used to the basics like moving, shooting etc. There is so much I haven't even tried or learned yet in SB Pro PE!

You don't need to master it all to enjoy it. I was simply hooked when I realised the unforgiving nature of tank battles, in that respect SB Pro PE doesn't really give a rookie an easy day. Prepare to be very nervous when moving in open terrain or coming over a crest! But if that part of the sim was any other way, it wouldn't be a sim, and the army would not use it.

And as a final consolation, if you somehow find yourself overwhelmed and want to put your money into something else, SB Pro Pe can easily be sold second hand for 80-100 dollars. So the risk isn't as big as the retail price might suggest. Not many computer sims have that second hand value.

cheers Porphy

"A paranoid is simply someone in possession of all the facts."
W. B.
porphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-09, 01:08 PM   #18
andym
Weps

Downloads: 41
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ontos View Post
Thank all of you for the information. I guess now my over all and final question is; For someone like me who has never driven a tank before except like in "Steel Fury" (which doesn't compare to "Steel Beast"), and my knowledge of computers is not that great, would it be worth buying, or is "Steel Beast Pro" still a good sim. for a old rookie? I wish they had a demo. you could play. I'm sorry for these questions, I just don't want to get over my head.

Its a great Sim.The main thing is to start simple and then work up to bigger units.The learning curve is steep but all of a sudden you click and its chocks away.Ok it doent have the Cimematic eye candy that some PC games do but it doesnt detract.There really isnt time to admire the countryside to be honest.Yes $125 IS a lot but how many games have you bought and not played more than once?I havent had a day since i bought it last december that i havent played at least 1 mission.Go on you tube and search for "steel beasts pro",it will give you a good idea of whats on offer.i certainly didnt feel shortchanged by SB pro at all,Its the best modern Tank sim around IMHO.
Old 03-27-09, 01:10 PM   #19
Lieste
Soundman

Downloads: 0

Depends on what you want from it...

It is much 'easier' to use than SF (or at least the demo version of it). No obscure and complicated 4 different keys to operate a vision block or sight - a standard F1-F4, and occassionally Alt-F1 or Alt-F4 cover all sights for all vehicles, or you can click directly into the sight optic to use it.

Driving is simplified - other crew members can request the driver to move forwards, back or to turn left/right. The commander can click on a destination and instruct the driver to head to it, or routes can be made from the map view. The driver has slightly finer control of speed and a better view of what the hull is doing - the big turrets can completely obscure the hull for the commander of the Leopard 2A5 and M1A1.

Ballistics are fairly well modelled, and the important engagement procedures are presented well - different tanks offer slight variations on the presentation of the same lead and superelevation information, and can handle partial failures of the systems with varying levels of gracefullness.

The important restrictions on operating tanks are covered - limited ammunition supply, only part of which is immediately available, requiring a protracted halt in a safe area to move ammunition into the ready racks. Tanks have thick frontal armour over most of the front (but some weakened areas denying complete immunity), thin armour on the sides and rear - most are not any better protected than a Tiger 1 over most of the flank area. APC/IFV have very little armour at all, so they have to be used with care.

Is it a game? Not really... Is it fun to use? If tanks are interesting, and you don't have objections to modern stuff.. Heck Yes!.

(It is probably only fair to say that I'm a Beta Tester for SB ProPE, so I see it warts and all - hopefully there are a few fewer warts left by the time it reaches you guys...)
Lieste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-09, 01:29 PM   #20
porphy
Commodore

Downloads: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by andym View Post
Go on you tube and search for "steel beasts pro",it will give you a good idea of whats on offer.i certainly didnt feel shortchanged by SB pro at all,Its the best modern Tank sim around IMHO.
Good advice

These two videos are very good. The first one is what SB Pro Pe can be in multiplayer and taking part in a big engagement.

The second one gives a good feeling of your own perspective in playing through the optics, and it captures the hectic and brutal feeling on the battlefield. (Be aware!, this video has a very loud soundtrack, turn down speakers before watching! )

"A paranoid is simply someone in possession of all the facts."
W. B.
porphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-09, 01:46 PM   #21
andym
Weps

It doesnt take too long to realise that modern tank warfare is very unforgiving,but you soon learn that full tilt ahead with all guns blazing just doesnt work!
Old 03-27-09, 02:56 PM   #22
ontos
Watch

Well I went and did it, I just ordered SBP, after watching those videos and what you all said who can resist. I know I will have quite a few questions when I start. Is this forum where I would ask question about the sim, or is there another site for how to questions and get downloads. Also is there online games with units etc.
Old 03-27-09, 03:43 PM   #23
Lieste
Soundman

Downloads: 0

You'll get a response if you post here, SimHQ or at the official Steelbeasts forum.

You should look at the information held at the Steelbeasts wiki as it contains more detailed information than the manual and includes pictures... Still a work in progress, most of the vehicle pages are (cough) brief, but there are good 'using the vehicle' pages for the M1A1(HA), Leopard 2A4, Leopard 2A5DK and Leopardo 2E - the pages on scenario design, multiplayer, mission planning etc are useful as well.

btw if you spot any obvious stupidities in the vehicle pages let me know and I'll fix it. I know that there are some missing images (I need to annotate the missing screen shots and haven't got around to it yet...)
Lieste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-09, 04:21 PM   #24
andym
Weps

Quote:
Well I went and did it, I just ordered SBP, after watching those videos and what you all said who can resist. I know I will have quite a few questions when I start. Is this forum where I would ask question about the sim, or is there another site for how to questions and get downloads. Also is there online games with units etc.

www.steelbeasts.com is THE place for SBPP and its mods and add ons.They also have regular online games eachfriday,also there are a few "Virtual Units" you can join for online Ops.
Old 03-27-09, 04:31 PM   #25
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9

Quote:
the tanks are not as difficult to handle as for example managing the avionics in the Falcon 4.0 pit. The challenge in SBP lies in tactics. Regarding that it is totally different than what you may expect after Tank Platoon II by microprose or Steel Fury. steering a tank in this sim is easy,, and there is no mystery in handling the guns, both with and without technical assistance - it's and issue of routine. Reading the map in the vertical, to time and synchronise your forces, doing a good work in tactical planning - that is what makes it a sim with a challenging learning curve. You will die a lot without even knopwing why and how. Hang on, and you'll improve. This sim is no game you get tired of playing after some months. This is business you will keep attached to for years to come. Much help to find in this forum and the forum at eSim, so if you feel intimidated or helpless, just ask. there will always be several guys helping you out.
Old 03-27-09, 04:32 PM   #26
ontos
Watch

Thanks to all, I can't wait to start this adventure.
Old 03-27-09, 04:37 PM   #27
andym
Weps

Quote:
Thanks to all, I can't wait to start this adventure.

You certainly WONT regret it.Take time to read the MAnual and definatly DO the Training Missions.Or you will be just smoking junk in a field!Also you need to be good on the Gunnery Range as it does have an impact on the accuraccy of your troops under your command.Try some of the small 1 tank scenarios to practise on.
Old 03-31-09, 06:02 PM   #28
ontos
Watch

I checked out the SBP PE forum it is really great. I just mentioned I was interested in making some skins for the tanks etc. and I was give several templates to use. Wow that was great. I can't do anything until I get the game of course. Has anyone received theirs yet ? I know it probably won't be till mid April or so. Just anxious I guess. Cheers
Old 04-01-09, 01:38 PM   #29
andym
Weps

Quote:
Has anyone received theirs yet ? I know it probably won't be till mid April or so. Just anxious I guess. Cheers

I havent got the upgrade yet,i beleive its starting to be shipped at the the end of the week.It took only 3 days to get mine in the UK from the US last december.
Old 04-01-09, 05:39 PM   #30
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9

The dongle-related postings have been moved to a new separate threat:

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=150109

Thank you for your understanding.

Last edited by Skybird; 04-01-09 at 05:55 PM.
Skybird is offline   Reply With Quote