Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Sub/Naval + Other Games > Classic Subsims
Forget password? Reset here

Old 06-09-14, 05:43 PM   #1
Julian
Sailor man

Downloads: 271
Uploads: 0
Default Destroyer Command - Still a Good Naval Sims -

I still have my old Destroyer Command Naval Sims. Still an enjoyable game to play.
It has all the elements of commanding a ship, from the bridge, and map. You can switch to the external view of standing on the bridge with a 360 degree view. Switch to guns , torpedo and depth charge, damage control stations.
After setting up the ship for battle, target, speed and course, you can click to the outside view and watch the entire action take place...like watching a movie. Periodically, check the position of all ships in action and make adjustments to their courses, targeting and speed.
I also added the Kriegsmarine Mod. This allows me to command the ships of both the German and British Navies. The missions here are based on Historical and What If campaigns. The Italian Mod, Mare Nostrum, lets you command the British and Italian ships in the Mediterrean based on Historical and What If missions. There is a lot of variety in this game in what navies you command.
I wish Ubisoft could update this naval game to Silent Hunter standards. This would be an outstanding naval sims for us naval vets.

Last edited by Julian; 06-09-14 at 06:03 PM. Reason: spelling check
Julian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-14, 08:05 PM   #2
turnerg
Bosun

Downloads: 37

We put a lot of work into both of the games back in the day. Ultimately it was some hardcoded issues that doomed it from being as good as it could have been. The "red triangle" that you literally couldn't get rid of, the limited view range that prevented historical engagement ranges for Battleships, stability problems, and more. But, Sergbuto and others managed to hex-edit a bunch of models to have flags, swap turrets and structures, and even made a passable HMS Hood using the Nagato. I might boot it up again but I'd probably have to do a retro build to get it to work.
Old 06-10-14, 05:31 PM   #3
Hinrich Schwab
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian View Post
I wish Ubisoft...
I would love to see a remake of DC, but I highlighted the reason it will not happen in bold. Ubisoft will not do anything unless it generates zero-effort profit. Even in success, a naval sim brings modest returns compared to cash-cow franchises. Said franchises is all Ubisoft cares about...that and DRM.

However, there is nothing to prevent an intrepid indie developer from giving us what we want...as soon as that developer comes along.
Hinrich Schwab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-14, 07:02 PM   #4
Julian
Sailor man

Downloads: 271
Default Destroyer Command - money vs entertainment, training concept

True!! Today it's all about money.
Aside from being a game, DC was also a good training concept in commanding ships, weapons control, navigation, spotting, radar/sonar detection, and more.
To bad Ubisoft is spending all their energy on Silent Hunter....How much more can a company do to improve the submarine game??
I miss the days when I could walk into a store and see all these naval and airplane sims that were on display for purchasing. They some good ones to choose from.
From Dos to Windows XP there was a good selection. I still have many of these classic games. Unfortunately, they can't be played on today's Window 7 & 8 systems.
Julian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-14, 02:50 PM   #5
tmccarthy
Admiral

Downloads: 270
Uploads: 16

DC is certainly one of my favorite Naval Sims. A little game play edit from last year...

tmccarthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-14, 10:57 AM   #6
aanker
Pacific Thunder

Downloads: 236
Uploads: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmccarthy View Post
DC is certainly one of my favorite Naval Sims. A little game play edit from last year...

Nice, I'll see if I can dig out my copy & get it running again, thanks : )
aanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-14, 01:38 PM   #7
Hitman
Pacific Aces Dev Team

Downloads: 109
Uploads: 2

True the hardcoded limitations prevented from converting it into a full range surface battle sim, but still if you used it for what it was designed - destroyer roles- you could have some fun with it. Unfortunately the AI was seriously poor, subs just went straight ahead without evading, making them easy to sink, and the enemy surface ships made it easy for you to cross the T and annihilate them. Multiplayer DD vs. DD combats were however incredibly fun, I think still worth playing nowadays.
Old 06-16-14, 11:30 PM   #8
tmccarthy
Admiral

Downloads: 270
Uploads: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by aanker View Post
Nice, I'll see if I can dig out my copy & get it running again, thanks : )
I hope that your graphics card is compatible. That seems to be the one sticking point. As recently discussed on this board some cards just will not work with SH2/DC.

This is a good patch/mega mod order to start:
-DC 1.1 patch
-Projekt Messerwetzer patch 1.03
-Fletchermod
-Vickers Oil Slicks
-Vickers Fireball Add-on

Also reminder if using Win7 play DC in WinXP mode, which solves the hyper active mouse control.

Good luck!
tmccarthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-14, 10:56 AM   #9
aanker
Pacific Thunder

Downloads: 236
Uploads: 14

Thank you tmccarthy

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmccarthy View Post
I hope that your graphics card is compatible. That seems to be the one sticking point. As recently discussed on this board some cards just will not work with SH2/DC.

This is a good patch/mega mod order to start:
-DC 1.1 patch
-Projekt Messerwetzer patch 1.03
-Fletchermod
-Vickers Oil Slicks
-Vickers Fireball Add-on

Also reminder if using Win7 play DC in WinXP mode, which solves the hyper active mouse control.

Good luck!
Protect each one we ask of thee.
Bless those at home who wait and pray,
For their return by night and day."

aanker is offline   Reply With Quote