SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 01-22-21, 11:21 AM   #1
meijse3
Watch

Downloads: 23
Uploads: 0
Default wave draw distance

I'm running the steam version with FotRSUE, without any problems, but does anyone know if it's possible to increase the draw distance, around the sub, for the wave effects etc, or whether there's a graphics mod (compatible with FotRSUE) that would somehow get rid of that hard distinction you can see in the water (from the bridge) where the wave animation ends and the flat sea begins? It's very noticeable in heavy seas. Or is this just the way it is with a game this old? Thanks.
meijse3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-21, 01:35 PM   #2
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Location: Chicago area, which is more dangerous than Omaha Beach.
Downloads: 433
Uploads: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by meijse3 View Post
I'm running the steam version with FotRSUE, without any problems, but does anyone know if it's possible to increase the draw distance, around the sub, for the wave effects etc, or whether there's a graphics mod (compatible with FotRSUE) that would somehow get rid of that hard distinction you can see in the water (from the bridge) where the wave animation ends and the flat sea begins? It's very noticeable in heavy seas. Or is this just the way it is with a game this old? Thanks.
you might try to unchecking the No Stabilize View option in the Gameplay Option screen.

also....remember that there are two sets of Gameplay Options: one for Single Missions and War patrols and one for Careers.

------------------------------------------------------------
Silent Hunter 4 1.5 Gold Edition on CDROM
LAA enabled
Dell XPS with 32 GB Ram running Win10
KaleunMarco is online   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-21, 08:15 PM   #3
Macgregor the Hammer
Chief

Downloads: 534
Uploads: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaleunMarco View Post
you might try to unchecking the No Stabilize View option in the Gameplay Option screen.

also....remember that there are two sets of Gameplay Options: one for Single Missions and War patrols and one for Careers.
I did not know game play setup differed for each category. It explains why ideas I try in single missions didn't seem to cross over into the career.

That's a good nugget, Thanks!
Old 01-22-21, 08:22 PM   #4
Mad Mardigan
Admiral

Downloads: 491

SHO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macgregor the Hammer View Post
I did not know game play setup differed for each category. It explains why ideas I try in single missions didn't seem to cross over into the career.

Yeah, there is 2 sets... the 1st is while in the main menu (under options there), after load up... the 2nd is either a radio (U.S. Fleet side) & a file cabinet (Uboat side of things...) that controls a 2nd set for career play...

You'd think they would have just gone with the 1, to handle it all... but yet, they didn't.

When we conversed, I forgot to point that out to ya, then MacGregor... My bad for not doing so then... I erred...

M. M.

to KaleunMarco
Old 01-22-21, 08:30 PM   #5
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Location: Chicago area, which is more dangerous than Omaha Beach.
Downloads: 433
Uploads: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macgregor the Hammer View Post

here's another nugget i stumbled into just recently.

i reset my FOTRSU install by removing the previous release and installed 1.39.
so i deleted my Savefolders in My Documents.
I fired up SH4 and went right to the Career Menu and started a new US Career and set my Game, Video, and Audio options and then exited.
when i launched SH4 again, the Single Mission and War Patrol Options were set to the Career Options.
i (we) know that the opposite effect will never happen.

anyway, i thought i would share that.

------------------------------------------------------------
Silent Hunter 4 1.5 Gold Edition on CDROM
LAA enabled
Dell XPS with 32 GB Ram running Win10
KaleunMarco is online   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-21, 04:25 AM   #6
meijse3
Watch

I'll have to check that. Thanks. So there are different graphics and gameplay options for missions and career? My graphics options - accessible whilst inside career - are exactly as set outside it. Did you mean only gameplay options?

But the second part of my original question was about whether there were any mods for the sea animation, compatible with FotRS. Maybe even FotRS already modded the sea? I'm not sure. I quite liked the original vanilla sea, and I think the draw distance border wasn't so noticeable in there.
Old 01-23-21, 09:16 AM   #7
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

I'm not sure how a person would adjust that "line" at the horizon. We've been busy with getting the ships and planes to act like they're supposed to, but - CapnScurvy has a post somewhere in the old beta thread for FotRSU, where he demonstrates the differences between stock and FotRSU and the "sight" distance involved. In stock, when you are sitting at the "Outside" departure location at Pearl Harbor, you see a "shadow" of Oahu that is off in the distance. You are sitting less than 8km from shore and should be able to see it. In FotRSU, you see the island itself. It is a rather stark difference. Also, FotRSU does alter the sea state and the color. We have not tried to adjust that beyond what was already there from the AOTD_MadMax days (the original team). I am not aware of an environmental mod that is compatible with FotRSU, and quite a bit of adjusting would be needed to other aspects of the mod to coax something to work with the rest of the game. It is possible to do though.

The main menu Options choice sets the Gameplay and Sound options for the Single Mission (Quick Mission) side of things, which includes the Sub School, Multi-Player and War Patrol (Quick Patrol) Options. Once inside of a Career, The Options menu allows you to set all of the same options in the Captain's Office, as Mad Mardigan pointed out. The Graphic Settings in both locations are "global", but a re-start of the game is necessary to affect any changes. Each career you have is able to have different settings, so every time you start a career, you do have to check the settings. This does allow options though, which can help a person decide if they want the "duds" turned on, or the periscope "stabilized", etc., or you can have multiple careers going with different settings in each, and different settings for Single Missions. One thing about the game is that each of those main menu choices is like a different "mode" of the game, and since they don't have good memory management apparently, you have to exit the game and re-start each time you want to change "modes".

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-21, 10:34 AM   #8
meijse3
Watch

Ok. Many thanks. It's not the horizon I'm talking about though, but the distance at which the wave animations are drawn out to, which ends some way short of the horizon, creating a flat band between the end of the animations and the horizon, very noticeable if the animations are very dramatic, as in very heavy seas. It could be that the modding of the actual horizon distance (that you mention) has created a more noticeable wider band of flat, unanimated sea than existed in vanilla, the price of having more realistic, or longer, horizon visibility, perhaps. I have assumed that one of the LOD settings in the graphics menu changes the LOD distance of the wave animations, but this may not be the case, they may be fixed, and in any event I have all graphics settings maxed out. Thanks though.
Old 01-23-21, 08:48 PM   #9
Mad Mardigan
Admiral

Downloads: 491

SHO Re: waves & the horizon...

As it goes, know that there is a mod that enhances the environment, M.E.P. v6, that includes with the environment, a ships disappear into the distance addition...

BUT... it has been stated, that with the time being, to NOT include any other mods to FotRSU-EN v1.39, other than s7rkeback's Nippon Maru beta add on...

I'd recommend holding off on any additional mods being added to the mix, until the all clear is given meaning that Fall, has been fully stabilized, as is feasible.

I'm champing at the bit, for seeing of the mod Pre Pearl career start mod, being able to be used... or having it added in, to be frank... I rather relish the ability to start a career that instills you already being in the Navy, when the attack on Pearl occurs... but... that's just Me.

M. M.

Post Edit... :

That ships disappearing into the distance, covers that wave discombobulation, you are referring to by the way, meijse3...

the mod fades out the horizon starting with there & blends in the hazy look of the horizon effect that makes it seem like a ship appears as if by magic...

M. M.

Old 01-24-21, 05:37 AM   #10
meijse3
Watch

Thanks MM. Very helpful. Where do I find that mod? I can try it without FotRSue for now...
Old 01-24-21, 09:15 AM   #11
vickers03
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 705
Uploads: 37

Quote:
but does anyone know if it's possible to increase the draw distance, around the sub, for the wave effects etc,
what he means is hardcoded. same with harbor objects and trees
which dissapear at ~3000yards. this can only be changed hex-editing
the sh4.exe or maybe one of the .act files.
vickers03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-21, 09:52 AM   #12
meijse3
Watch

Yes. Hardcoded. It seems so. Thanks.