Click here to access the Helosim website
SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

BUYING GAMES, BOOKS, ELECTRONICS, and STUFF
THROUGH THIS LINK SUPPORTS SUBSIM, THANKS!

The Web's #1 BBS for all submarine and naval simulations!

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > Helosim.com and Flight Sims

Old 04-09-11, 04:01 PM   #46
AVGWarhawk
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 90
Uploads: 0

This thread inspired me to see if my original TrackIR will work on Vista64. The folks at Natural Point have created drivers and program. The original works! I know there are drivers for my Saiteck X52 sticks. I can get that going. Looks like I will purchase RoF or possibly CoD
Old 04-21-11, 07:58 AM   #47
Mud
Captain

Downloads: 50

I´m trying to give ROF a whirl but is their website down?

http://www.riseofflight.com

Anyone else have problems?

edit: it´s back online

Last edited by Mud; 04-22-11 at 08:13 PM.
Mud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-11, 04:25 AM   #48
karamazovnew
The Old Man

Downloads: 151

Skybird, if you haven't yet, definitely buy the A-10. You don't require internet to play (only to activate once, then no need to activate again unless you format pc). The "internet required" statement only referred to multiplayer. And as flightsims go, this one has to be the best yet. Even with starforce, I still recommend buying from the devs site, not steam, as updates will take time to reach steam. A DVD version should be available soon.

I tried Rise of Flight last night (demo). Not for me... The A-10 has definitely spoiled me. I've loved the A-10 plane since I first saw a picture of it, I think it's the best looking plane in history. But I never knew it was such a splendid air to ground platform. I mean ok, I knew from TV, but it's a complete shock when you actually fly it. And the main part of the game is Close Air Support, which is done completely different than in any other sim so far. It's impossible to describe just how fun it is to do patrols. But be prepared to spend a week going through the manual and training missions.
karamazovnew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-11, 05:36 AM   #49
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9

I am currently 33:66 against buying it, but if I change my mind, I will not get it before July when the boxed DVD version is announced for the German market and the basic patching can be expected to have been finished. I would expect a splendid study sim and system simulation, no doubt, and a great cockpit feeling. However, as I already explained, I have problems with the extremely sterile feeling of Eagle Dynamic'S simulations. I also hope that maybe there will be a German manual too. Italian version there already is.

Beside that, I still struggle with really mastering the Black Shark. Challenging, interesting, fascinating: all that. But again: a very sterile package. The immersion of F4 and the pucker factor of SBP battles I look in vein for. It is more theoretical interest and the joy of just flying the machine that keeps me staying with it. As a sim: great. As a package: mediocre.

I wonder why Eagle Dynamics does not learn from this, they could make themselves more customers if finally listening to criticism that is with them since the first Flanker was published.
Old 05-02-11, 06:01 AM   #50
Arclight
Navy Seal

Location: Land of windmills, tulips, wooden shoes and cheese. Lots of cheese.
Downloads: 53
Uploads: 10

They are working on it, the "package" actually came a long way with A-10C, though no where near what you want from it. I think something complicating things is that the engine at it's core is, well, ancient.

That said, there are really good individual missions and a lot of terrain to play. Playing with some friends has boosted my enjoyment of the game immensely as well; AI, no matter how good it is, always leaves something to be desired.

Contritium praecedit superbia.
Arclight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-11, 01:12 PM   #51
Egan
Admiral

Downloads: 15

I've just finished installing ROF:ICE. From the five minutes I've spent playing a quick mission so far I think I have to say this one is a keeper. It's the most beautiful looking sim I've played. Everything about it looks quality. The sounds, the engine management, the flight models - wow.

This looks to be the WW1 flight sim I've been looking for. I always liked OFF, and there are elements of that sim I'll always love but this is something else.
Egan is offline   Reply With Quote