SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 06-28-20, 08:21 AM   #1
M6JZO
Swabbie

Downloads: 360
Uploads: 0
Default problem

Hi all. I'm playing a stock sh4 gold edition and I can't seem to update to better
men aboard ship to many petty officers on board. And I can't seem to give men medals I have a number to give out. Has anybody out there on Subsim land
come across this same problem?
M6JZO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-20, 08:33 AM   #2
XenonSurf
Sea Lord

Downloads: 107
Uploads: 4

Giving medals, promoting, or replacing crew should all work the same way: You drag the medal, the new crew member or the promotion icon exactly over an existing crew member, be sure that the dragged icon is centered on the destination crew member when you release the mouse button, otherwise nothing happens.

You can then check the result by selecting the crew member and see that his rank is higher now, or you can see the medal in the crew description window.

Doesn't this work for you?

XS

Last edited by XenonSurf; 06-28-20 at 08:45 AM.
XenonSurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-20, 01:33 PM   #3
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Location: Chicago area, which is more dangerous than Omaha Beach.
Downloads: 431
Uploads: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by M6JZO View Post
Hi all. I'm playing a stock sh4 gold edition and I can't seem to update to better
men aboard ship to many petty officers on board. And I can't seem to give men medals I have a number to give out. Has anybody out there on Subsim land
come across this same problem?
what ZenonSurf said about the promotions and medals is true.
one more element is that your boat has a limit as to the number of rated crew it is allowed to have. rated crew are Petty Officers ranks 4 through 9.
if you attempt to replace an unrated crewman with a petty officer or chief from the panel on the left side while in port, you may receive a message that says: Too Many Officers(or something to that effect).
if you get that message, you cannot add any petty officers or promote seamen to petty officers because your crew has reached its limit.
the only way to get around this limit is to apply one of the many crew fixes available in the Download forum.
good luck.

------------------------------------------------------------
Silent Hunter 4 1.5 Gold Edition on CDROM
LAA enabled
Dell XPS with 32 GB Ram running Win10
KaleunMarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-20, 01:42 PM   #4
M6JZO
Swabbie

Downloads: 360
Default checked

Hi guy's I did exactly that I highlighted the crew member who was a chief petty officer no deal I spent an hour plus with crew members no joy. As for downloading a mod will do nicely I will see what I can find. Cheers M6JZO frank
M6JZO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-20, 02:28 PM   #5
Moonlight
Admiral

Downloads: 184

I leave the Chiefs alone as they should have good enough skills already. Concentrate on the petty officers and the Seamen, Torpedo rooms, Watch, Sensors and Command should get priority in any boat.
Get the PO's up to 1st class and watch their skills improve along the way, the seamen can be promoted to petty officers and their skills will improve when they are promoted enough.

If you need better gunners promote the best two in the damage compartment, promote them high enough and you can select guns as their skill, mechanical, watch and guns are the priority for that class.

Look for the little black numbers, it will say something like 0 of 150, when it reaches 150 of 150 promotion is available for that crew member.
Old 06-28-20, 10:18 PM   #6
Havan_IronOak
Navy Dude

Downloads: 233

It's been years since I played the stock game, but as I recall, the only promotion that matters in terms of improving crewman stats is from Seaman 1st to Petty Officer.

I'm playing FotRSU and I just verified that promoting seaman 2nd and Seaman 3rds don't change their stats at all.

Promoting a Seaman 1st to Petty Officer with a specialization in Torpedoes gave him +40 to Leadership, +20 to Mechanical and +20 to Weapons.

The list is as follows

Command +40 Leadership +10 Electrical +20 Watch
Engines +40 Leadership +20 Electrical +20 Mechanical
Guns +40 Leadership +10 Mechanical +20 Guns +10 Watch
Sensors +40 Leadership +20 Electrical +20 Watch
Torpedoes +40 Leadership +20 Mechanical +20 Guns
Watch +40 Leadership +10 Mechanical +10 Guns +20 Watch

That's based on the table here https://silenthunter.fandom.com/wiki/SH4_Crew_Management&section=2

I'm pretty sure that the promotions in FotRSU work the same as in the base game.
Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 16.0 GB
NVidia RTX2070 16 Gig

Last edited by Havan_IronOak; 06-29-20 at 06:51 AM.
Havan_IronOak is offline   Reply With Quote