SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Current crop of subsims & naval games > Wolfpack
Forget password? Reset here

Old 04-06-19, 04:26 AM   #1
Elphaba
Neptune's daughter

Downloads: 164
Uploads: 0
Default Magic Numbers?

As a real life pilot, I'm used to 'magic numbers' everywhere. i.e. Set this power to get this attitude etc.

So are there magic numbers for Wolfpack that anyone wants to share?

i.e. what ballast amounts and dive plane settings for x depth at y speed?

I'm sure the fun is working them out for yourself, but doing this solo is proving laborious and not exactly accurate!
Elphaba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-19, 07:07 AM   #2
derstosstrupp
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 489

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elphaba View Post
As a real life pilot, I'm used to 'magic numbers' everywhere. i.e. Set this power to get this attitude etc.

So are there magic numbers for Wolfpack that anyone wants to share?

i.e. what ballast amounts and dive plane settings for x depth at y speed?

I'm sure the fun is working them out for yourself, but doing this solo is proving laborious and not exactly accurate!
Check out my thread on proposed SOPs: http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=240545

Granted it is written for a full crew complement but it has recommendations as to speed settings etc.

One-Stop Targeting Shop:
https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...WwBt-1vjW28JbO
My YT Channel:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIJ...9FXbD3S2kgwdPQ
derstosstrupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-19, 10:00 AM   #3
Pisces
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 300

0.05 cubic meters (halve of a tick) water in the negative tank to stay balanced at or around periscope depth with neutral dive planes or 0 speed.

I don't know about other depths yet.
Old 04-07-19, 11:58 AM   #4
Elphaba
Neptune's daughter

Thank you Pisces
Old 04-07-19, 01:34 PM   #5
Pisces
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 300

Well, since it is hard to get the right amount of water in the negative tank you still need to watch the depth dial every now and then. But it will certainly slow down the rising of the boat.
Old 04-08-19, 10:33 AM   #6
Elphaba
Neptune's daughter

Just FYI, and btw this is incredible that it's modelled, but if you run on the surface at Full (flank) speed but with the forward and aft ballast tanks full, and the negative tank empty (yes it can be done and helps down down REALLY quickly without blowing through your attack periscope (AP) depth) then your speed is decreased from 17.7 to 13.

From talking with Neal, if you run decks awash, this too will decrease speed, but it's hard to do this solo, but I'll try and report back with findings.
Old 04-08-19, 07:30 PM   #7
snailer
Swabbie

Downloads: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elphaba View Post
Just FYI, and btw this is incredible that it's modelled, but if you run on the surface at Full (flank) speed but with the forward and aft ballast tanks full, and the negative tank empty (yes it can be done and helps down down REALLY quickly without blowing through your attack periscope (AP) depth) then your speed is decreased from 17.7 to 13.
I can confirm, and will also add that running with full ballasts is also great when engaging on surface for two reasons:

- The submarine will be a lot more stable, this helps a ton with the deck gun hitting percentage (easier to aim).

- You are lower on the water (smaller target)
snailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-19, 01:38 PM   #8
tortuga power
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

SOP on my boat is decks awash at night as you close with the convoy -- "decks awash" being fully flooded fore/aft ballast and vacant negative tank. For safety we keep dive planes 5 degrees up.

Why decks awash? Your crash dive speed is much faster (maybe 10 seconds or so). A huge difference!

(The main limit on crash dive speed, besides human reaction time and coordination, is filling the main ballasts.)
Old 04-09-19, 03:48 PM   #9
stoppro
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 493

I have been practicing but still can't keep periscope depth. what speed is everyone using for this.
Old 04-09-19, 04:22 PM   #10
B4dHorse
Swabbie

Downloads: 1

well i can keep you in periscope depth at any speed, or while halt by now, its really not that hard.

just be aware that this system is not perfect. and it needs a little bit of practice.
I am pretty good a keeping my depth by now, but still i have to check it every few minutes when i am playing solo, just to be sure.

for starters, it is like "Pisces" said.
keep just a LITTLE amount of water in the negativ tank. just between zero and the first little line. Never use your mousewheel when trying to achieve this. "Grab" the valve with your mouse and move it left/right carefully to open or close the valve.
If you want or need a quick tutorial ingame just message me, we can surely find a few minutes to do that.
B4dHorse is offline   Reply With Quote