Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics
Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-21-23, 01:28 PM   #5356
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

21st March 1923

"3/21/1923-New York, NY: The lion-faced man arrives from Bremen. His name is Lionel Bilrouki. He will be shown with Ringling Brothers at Madison Square Garden, starting March 24."

Ship Losses:

Bohemia (United Kingdom) The schooner was abandoned in the Atlantic Ocean (45°00′N 55°13′W).
Giulia (Italy) The cargo ship sprang a leak in the Atlantic Ocean (41°37′N 58°37′W). She was subsequently abandoned.

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-23, 09:21 AM   #5357
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

22nd March 1923

Ship Losses:

Texan (United States) The cargo ship came ashore on Block Island, Rhode Island. She was refloated on 28 March.

Old 03-23-23, 10:02 AM   #5358
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

23rd March 1923

"Klansmen at event at Crystal Pool, Seattle, March 23, 1923".

Ship Losses:

USS Coastal Battleship No. 4 (United States Navy)

The target ship (formerly the battleship USS Iowa) was sunk in the Gulf of Panama by the battleship USS Mississippi ( United States Navy).

Old 03-24-23, 08:17 AM   #5359
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

24th March 1923

Ship Losses:

Felix (France) The schooner was abandoned in the Atlantic Ocean (47°56′N 11°54′W). She was set afire by her crew, who were rescued by Nolisment ( France)

Old 03-25-23, 12:28 PM   #5360
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

25th March 1923

Ship Losses:

Aspen (United Kingdom) The cargo ship ran aground between Formby and Southport, Lancashire. She was refloated on 30 March.

Old 03-26-23, 01:59 PM   #5361
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

26th March 1923

Ship Losses:

Marco Aurelio (Italy) The cargo ship was abandoned in the Cerigo Channel.
Rey Jaime I ) (Spain) The cargo liner ran aground at Livorno, Tuscany, Italy. Her passengers were taken off. She was refloated on 29 March.
Taishin Maru (Japan) The cargo ship ran aground on the west coast of the Kwantung Peninsula and was abandoned by her crew.

Old 03-27-23, 12:57 PM   #5362
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

27th March 1923

Oakland, CA: Chief of Police James T. Drew, left, and Police Captain Frank Lynch, right, strap Harry Houdini into a straightjacket. It took Houdini five seconds to free himself whilst hanging from the 9th floor of the then unfinished clock tower portion of the Tribune Tower.

Ship Losses:

Amy Turner (United Kingdom) The barquentine foundered off Guam with the loss of ten of her fourteen crew. Survivors reached landed at Hinuatan, Philippines after 24 days.
Charles F. Gordon (United Kingdom) The schooner was wrecked at Double Head, Cuba. Her crew were rescued.
F. C. Lockhart (United Kingdom) The schooner ran aground on Lippy Island, Maine, United States and was a total loss.
Madelon (France) The schooner was destroyed by fire off the Bishop's Rock. Her crew were rescued by the trawler Capstone ( United Kingdom).
Rusholme (United Kingdom) The cargo ship struck rocks 28 nautical miles (52 km) south of Port Nolloth, South Africa and was a total loss. Her crew survived.

Old 03-28-23, 08:45 AM   #5363
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

28th March 1923

Ship Losses:

Julian J. Fleetwood (United States) The tow steamer foundered in 17 feet (5.2 m) of water at the mouth of the North River at the entrance to Albemarle Sound. Four of her crew died of exposure on the roof of the pilothouse, two survivors were rescued from the roof by Annie L. Vansciver ( United States) on the 29th.

Old 03-31-23, 01:06 PM   #5364
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

31st March 1923

Ship Losses:

Chaldon (United Kingdom) The cargo ship struck a rock in the Pentland Firth and was beached at Scrabster, Caithness. She was refloated on 3 April.
Gladys M. Hollet (United Kingdom) The schooner was abandoned in the Atlantic Ocean off Cape Race, Newfoundland. Her crew were rescued.

Old 04-01-23, 12:42 PM   #5365
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

1st April 1923

Ship Losses:

Laurana (Germany) The cargo ship ran aground at Cadiz, Andalusia, Spain. She was refloated but was discovered to be leaking severely and was beached. Laurana was refloated on 16 April.
Portgwarra (United Kingdom) The cargo ship ran aground at Melilla, Spain. She was refloated on 16 April.

Old 04-03-23, 01:19 PM   #5366
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

3rd April 1923

Ship Losses:

HMS Ceres (Royal Navy) The C-class cruiser was in collision with USS Fox ( United States Navy) in the Bosporus. Both vessels sustained substantial damage.
Free Will (United Kingdom) The salvage vessel was holed during salvage operations at Portland, Dorset and was beached. Her crew were taken off by Conqueress and Petrel (both United Kingdom).
Reta M. Cluett (United Kingdom) The schooner was abandoned in the Atlantic Ocean off Cape Race, Newfoundland (40°05′N 53°38′W). She was set afire by her crew before they were rescued.

Old 04-04-23, 09:44 AM   #5367
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

4th April 1923

"Hitler Ready for War on Reds in All Germany". Adolf Hitler told the "Chicago Tribune" that rumours he was planning a march on Berlin to overthrow the government were "fairy tales" and asserted that his only fight was against bolshevism.

Old 04-05-23, 08:08 AM   #5368
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

5th April 1923

Ship Losses:

Glutra (Norway) The cargo ship foundered in the North Sea. Her crew were rescued by the trawler Este Brügge ( Germany).

Old 04-06-23, 09:43 AM   #5369
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

6th April 1923

"Here Private Daniel R. Edwards of Company C, 3rd Machine Gun Battalion, 1st Division, receives the Distinguished Service Cross and Congressional Medal of Honor from Major General Robert Lee Bullard. Private Edwards received the medal for his actions in France during World War I."

Ship Losses:

Chika Maru (Japan) The cargo ship ran aground and sank in the Kurushima Channel. She was refloated on 22 April.
Competitor (United Kingdom) The cargo ship ran aground at Cape Cod, Massachusetts. She was refloated on 16 April.
John S. Dwight (United States) While smuggling a cargo of illegal ale, the 107-foot (33 m), 151-gross register ton coastal cargo ship — the former minesweeper USS Pawnee ( United States Navy) — was scuttled by her crew under mysterious circumstances in 85 feet (26 m) of water off the coast of Massachusetts in Vineyard Sound south of Nashawena Island at 41°23′26″N 070°52′36″W. Eight members of her crew died in the incident. The minesweeper USS Falcon ( United States Navy) blew up her sunken wreck during the summer of 1923, sometime prior to 5 July.
Nordhvalen (Denmark) The cargo ship was sunk in a collision with Barracoo ( United Kingdom) near the mouth of the Patapsco River in Chesapeake Bay.

Old 04-07-23, 01:52 PM   #5370
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

7th April 1923

Ship Losses:

Addington (United Kingdom) The cargo ship ran aground in the Danube at Sulina, Romania. She was refloated on 11 April.