SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter III
Forget password? Reset here

Old 12-05-08, 03:19 PM   #136
spugnoid
Swabbie

Downloads: 22
Uploads: 0

joegrundman, you wouldn't happen to still have those spreadsheets would you? don1reed, I think I understand what you are saying but I'm just not sure how to quite put it into practice.

I just don't know why I'm having such a hard time working this out. I'm an electrician for crying out loud. I'm supposed to know my trig functions inside out, although it has been a few years since electrical school.

Oh well, in the meantime I will keep looking and trying stuff.

Thanks for your input guys.

spugnoid
spugnoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-08, 03:35 PM   #137
Hitman
Pacific Aces Dev Team

Downloads: 109
Uploads: 2

Quote:
I'm an electrician for crying out loud. I'm supposed to know my trig functions inside out, although it has been a few years since electrical school.
Wow...do electricians in your country study trigonometry?

No wonder we in Spain are nearly in the 3rd world

Joking aside, what I did was to use as template a circular ruler template I downloaded from the internet, and then I simply drew the lines with photoshop in a new transparent layer over the old ones, starting from the centre of the image.
Old 12-05-08, 08:33 PM   #138
Puster Bill
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 0

Glad to see this thread is active again.

As for making that device Hitman, I'm not entirely sure that there isn't some kind of cam mechanism involved. Look at the metallic radial arm, and the area where it's connected to the center of the disk. It looks like it might cam: The black plastic centerpiece isn't centered on the disk, and it's an odd shape.

That adds a whole level of difficulty, and you have to add the fact that even the stiffest cardboard makes a crappy cam.

Still, where there is a will, there is a way. I will take this under contemplation.
Old 12-06-08, 08:00 AM   #139
Hitman
Pacific Aces Dev Team

Very nice picture.

This is a similar device to teh Angriffsscheibe, only it is more simplified and its use is exclusively for AOB. You can input enemy course and get the AOB (To set up the TDC) or input AOB and get the enemy course (For plotting an intercept).
Old 12-23-08, 12:06 AM   #140
Silverleaf
Wild Night in Bangkok

Downloads: 5

Hitman and company..

Got a few pics for you...Cigar ???

Ohhh!!! Hitman goodness.....

Front..

Back...

Took an hour and a half to finish it, went to Staples and had the transparency's made - and while waiting, thought I'll run over to Lowe's and pick up:

Hillman - Aluminum Threaded Post w/screw 3/8" Post - 80 cents

My last task is to build a support structure for the box, and add a couple decals on the front and top to finish the look. Any suggestions for the decals are most appreciated.

A special Kudos goes to Hitman for all the excellent work, and to klh for the extensive well-written manual. This community ..

Went together easily - once I referred to Puster's pics and Hitman's instructive pdf. I did leave the labels A&B on two of the pointers for reference until I figure out how to use it. If the ship is gonna go down, this bad boys coming with me!

Cheers,

R.S.

Last edited by Silverleaf; 12-23-08 at 12:21 AM.
Silverleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-08, 07:21 AM   #141
Hitman
Pacific Aces Dev Team

Excellent idea

A hint: Get a metal plaque like those to put in an office door with the lettering "ANGRIFFSSCHEIBE - KM 1940"

I have already version 2.0 of the Angriffsschibe, I'm sorry it has not arrived in time for you to build

On the other hand, the nice wheel posted by Mykhail some posts ago is already a WIP
Old 12-23-08, 03:01 PM   #142
Silverleaf
Wild Night in Bangkok

Awesome news on the current WIP. Please keep us updated, as your work is of excellent quality.

By the way, as an extra Kudos, when I took the transparency to Staples, I had a few employees asking me what it was for. When I showed them they all were very impressed.
Old 12-23-08, 03:02 PM   #143
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Now that really looks the business

If you ever go into production i'll certainly be after one

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is online   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-08, 06:09 PM   #144
klh
Ensign

Downloads: 200

Well done! The bad news is - I don't smoke. So how am I going to get a nice box like that?
klh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-08, 07:56 PM   #145
Silverleaf
Wild Night in Bangkok

Thanks guys, work is proceeding on the box - will have an update shortly. 8)

As to finding a cigar box:

Try one of your local smoke shops that sell cigs and cigars. See if they have any small cigar boxes lying around. OR, and this is a trifle more expensive - if you find one you really like on display with cigars in it, they'll give you the box once you buy all the goodies inside.

..you could always give them to someone you know who does smoke.

Cheers,
Old 12-24-08, 05:10 AM   #146
Silverleaf
Wild Night in Bangkok

So, after 4 hours of work ... she's done:

First I created a plaque from scratch - added in rivets, gave it a weathered metal look, similar to what Hitman posted a few pages back, and added aproper font.

In my research to locate a better clearer logo, I discovered the proper name for it is KM Eagle Stamp. I could not find a clear image of it, BUT I sum that up to a major step by Auction houses and seller's of real artifacts from WWII Germany to prevent rampant "replica" exposure. Not that it will help much..

As an aside, I found something which I didn't know - and it might be old news to aficionados of WWII Germany History. Every Kriegsmarine (water) logo I found has the eagle looking to his right shoulder - every German Army (land) logo has the same eagle looking to his left shoulder. This applies doubly for police - land patrols left, shore patrols right Anyways, didn't mean to go off on a tangent there, but it was an interesting discovery for me. 8)...

The logo:

I added a small spacer on the back of the image, laminated both sides, and super glued it to the front:

Next, I took a Sub emblem which I felt was appropriate, laminated and placed it on the top - to cover up the cigar logo - my printer didn't like the black - but it works:

Next, I thought why not include some personal effects, things that would add to the mystique, and finish off the project. Everythings inside, and locked in place:

In the tray on the right I've included copies of coins from the period, and an old well read letter sent to the sailor:

The Whiz wheel removed so you can see how it's held in place. Yes, this is very crude, but it works quite nicely:

Lastly, my big surprise. You may have already caught it..BUT..

As a tribute to everyone here whom adores screw-ups and the like, AND what Subsim thread would be complete without...

I found a passport image which just happens to have a soldier with the name, you guessed it: Bernhard !!

Many thanks again for all the work that went into making this possible. Your all top-notch in my book, and Merry Christmas !!

Cheers,

R.S.
Old 12-24-08, 07:07 AM   #147
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

That looks really cool

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is online   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-08, 07:44 AM   #148
Hitman
Pacific Aces Dev Team

Wooooahhhh amazing stuff!!!

You know I found out already long ago that it's these things what make you enjoy the game 100% more than any other user All in-game tools are nice, clean and useful, but there's nothing like being able to have them in your hands. Wiz-wheels, recognition manuals, chronometer, tables...those details help getting the full inmersion in what you are doing
Old 02-03-09, 03:44 PM   #149
Hitman
Pacific Aces Dev Team

New wheel almost ready......

Old 02-03-09, 04:24 PM   #150
Pisces
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 300

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitman
New wheel almost ready......

I like the grey covered areas on the pointer. Less chance of looking in the opposite direction as the target passes behind the back of your scope.
Pisces is offline   Reply With Quote