SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH5 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 10-19-19, 11:49 AM   #436
Tomek4494
Watch

Downloads: 94
Uploads: 0

<TWoS 2.2.16, DVD version, Win10>

I have started career with VIIB. Everything works almost fine, but i have one small bug. When I close, flood or fire torpedo tube officer doesn't say the number of tube. For example instead of: "Nummer eins feuer", "Roehre eins geschlossen" etc. I have: "nummer <pause, silence> feuer", "Roehre <pause, silence> geschlossen".

It is small bug but sometimes irritating.
Tomek4494 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-19, 05:33 AM   #437
rainiere
Seaman

Downloads: 281

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomek4494 View Post
<TWoS 2.2.16, DVD version, Win10>

I have started career with VIIB. Everything works almost fine, but i have one small bug. When I close, flood or fire torpedo tube officer doesn't say the number of tube. For example instead of: "Nummer eins feuer", "Roehre eins geschlossen" etc. I have: "nummer <pause, silence> feuer", "Roehre <pause, silence> geschlossen".

It is small bug but sometimes irritating.
Same here, installation procedure followed to the letter.
Minor annoyance.

Modlist here: https://imgur.com/a/sXTdHIZ
rainiere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-19, 09:12 AM   #438
vdr1981
Navy Seal

Downloads: 581
Uploads: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainiere View Post
Same here, installation procedure followed to the letter.
Minor annoyance.

Modlist here: https://imgur.com/a/sXTdHIZ
Those sounds are removed intentionally because they were too repetitive and annoying when changing torpedo tubes...
vdr1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-19, 04:52 AM   #439
tpt27
Swabbie

Downloads: 14
Icon9

Hi everyone,

I downloaded Silent Hunter 5 via Steam last week. After running it once to use the activation key, it automatically updated to v1.2. I then downloaded TWoS v2.2.16 (following TWoS 2.2 Install Instructions to the letter) and had 3 hours of pure bliss with everything running beautifully at full audio and high graphics setting showing 30-40 FPS (even up to 60 FPS)...... then while I was going through the 4 bearing tutorial I had a CTD. No worries I thought. I went back through Steam, clicked 'Play', Uplay came up as normal and the game loaded (with the background music and videos playing smoothly in the menu).

I selected the four bearings tutorial from the 'Tutorial' menu and the 'Historical Missions' menu again and clicked 'Start'. My first hint that something wasn't right was when I noticed during the loading screen that radar scope in the bottom right corner was stuttering while it was spinning. The background music was still playing at this time and the FPS counter was bouncing between 100-220.

Then the screen went black, with the music still going, just before the tutorial was about to start. Then, the music just cut-out, the FPS dropped to 1 and the game faded-in in slow motion and with the mouse and the crew moving around the Control Room like time lapse photography. The FPS counter bounced between 3-8.

To make it worse, there is no sound of any kind. No engine noise, crew voices or even the random background hum of the sub. Just total silence.

When I exit back to the main menu, the mouse moves at normal speed; however, there is still no sound, but the menu videos play at normal speed.

I have tried running SH5 via Uplay only and also by just double clicking on the sh5.exe file from its folder, but I get the same issues.

I have done the following to try and fix it:
- uninstalled and reinstalled both the Steam version of SH5 and the Ubisoft Game Launcher, three times
- Updated the NVIDIA drivers for my GTX1060 card to 440.97 (which was released on 22 Oct 19)
- Right clicked the SH5.exe file and:
- Ticked the "Run as Administrator" in the Compatibility Tab
- Ticked the "Disable fullscreen optimisation"
- Ticked the "Override high DPI scaling behaviour". Scaling performed by Application (I've also tried 'System' and 'System (enhanced)')
- Tried running the program in compatibility mode for:
- Windows 7
- Windows 8
- Windows XP (SP3)
- Windows Vista (SP2)
- Ran the 'detectionui_r.exe" file from the "Detection Tool" folder. This showed that I far exceed all minimum requirement to run SH5, except for the "Graphic Driver Version". It shows that I need to have the 191.07 or higher version, but I only have the 140.97 version (even though my GTX1060 drivers are at version 440.97?!??! To confuse me even more, when I run 'dxdiag' the driver version for the 1060 says 26.21.14.4097, dated 16 Oct 19). Anyway, I found the 191.07 version file, but when I tried to run the update a window popped up titled "NVIDIA Windows 7 [64-bit] Display Drivers", then I get an error message saying "The NVIDIA setup program could not locate any drivers that are compatible with your current hardware".

Any advice to get this great game running is desperately needed. Help please!!

1. Operating System, System spec?
- Windows 10, 64-bit
- MSI "Apache" (laptop)
- i7-6700HQ CPU @2.60GHz
- 16 GB RAM

2. Version of the game ? (DVD, Uplay download, Steam, other ?)
- Steam v1.2.0.0: TWoS v2.2.16

3. Confirm that your game is updated to official v1.2.0 version and that the vanilla game works without problems.
- Yes it did. I tried one of the Historical missions and it worked great.

4. If you use any non-TWoS custom mods, remove them, reinstall your game/TWoS completely according to install instruction, start new campaign and make sure that the issue still persist!
- I don't use non-TWoS mods, but have reinstalled everything three times so far and the problem still persists

5. Confirm that the Generic Patcher is correctly activated and the snapshot is successfully restored (Install instructions, step 2).
- Confirmed. I followed the instructions from the TWoS 2.2 Installer document word for word.

6. Provide a screenshot of your main Silent Hunter 5 installation folder and it's content!
7. JSGME screenshot!

8. Make sure to provide as much details as possible when describing situation where problem/bug/CTD can be observed. What should we do in order to reproduce this issue?
- See above

9. Upload several screenshots and gamesaves on which problem can be observed.
tpt27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-19, 07:26 AM   #440
THEBERBSTER
Growing Old Disgracefully

Downloads: 1123

A Warm Welcome To The Subsim Community > tpt27
Subsim <> Make A Donation <> See The Benefits <> Support The Community
SH3 – 4 - 5 Tutorials > Downloads > Other Useful Information > See Links in My Signature Below

Quote:
I thought. I went back through Steam, clicked 'Play', Uplay came up as normal and the game loaded (with the background music and videos playing smoothly in the menu).
When you installed STEAM through the TWOS STEAM conversion do you not now have another Silent Hunter 5 folder with the SH5.exe in it which is independent of STEAM?

Starting the game through STEAM and Uplay will IIRC from what I have read will update the game and causes problems and looks like your game could now be corrupted because of it?
I maybe wrong as I have no experience of using STEAM.

4 Bearing Method By Kuikueg > 4 YouTube Tutorials + Instructions

Using The 4 Bearing True Method By Trevally
THEBERBSTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-19, 08:33 AM   #441
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

@ THEBERBSTER and vdr1981 (or others): The only thing I noticed that tpt27 has not done yet is to clear the Save folder in "C:\Users \UserName \Documents \SH5". Does that work as well for SH5 as it does for SH4 & SH3? Or will the mod have to be re-done after that?

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-19, 09:03 AM   #442
tpt27
Swabbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by THEBERBSTER View Post
A Warm Welcome To The Subsim Community > tpt27
Subsim <> Make A Donation <> See The Benefits <> Support The Community
SH3 – 4 - 5 Tutorials > Downloads > Other Useful Information > See Links in My Signature Below

When you installed STEAM through the TWOS STEAM conversion do you not now have another Silent Hunter 5 folder with the SH5.exe in it which is independent of STEAM?

Starting the game through STEAM and Uplay will IIRC from what I have read will update the game and causes problems and looks like your game could now be corrupted because of it?
I maybe wrong as I have no experience of using STEAM.

4 Bearing Method By Kuikueg > 4 YouTube Tutorials + Instructions

Using The 4 Bearing True Method By Trevally
Thanks for replying Berbs,

No, I don't have a separate SH5 folder independent from Steam. I have read that you shouldn't install it to the C:/Program Files (x86) folder so my SH5 is nestled within the other Steam games I have in the SteamLibrary/steamapps/common folder, but it's on my D: drive.

It looks like you're right. SH5 must be corrupted. It's so frustrating because it worked perfectly for three whole hours until I had the CTD.

This sort of rubbish is exactly why I haven't even looked at SH5 until now, but once I saw the Youtube videos of the TWoS mod with Real Nav and encrypted Bdu orders I couldn't help myself. Guess I need to rummage in the bargain bins for a DVD version again.
Old 10-26-19, 09:07 AM   #443
vdr1981
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpt27 View Post
Thanks for replying Berbs,

No, I don't have a separate SH5 folder independent from Steam. I have read that you shouldn't install it to the C:/Program Files (x86) folder so my SH5 is nestled within the other Steam games I have in the SteamLibrary/steamapps/common folder, but it's on my D: drive.

It looks like you're right. SH5 must be corrupted. It's so frustrating because it worked perfectly for three whole hours until I had the CTD.

This sort of rubbish is exactly why I haven't even looked at SH5 until now, but once I saw the Youtube videos of the TWoS mod with Real Nav and encrypted Bdu orders I couldn't help myself. Guess I need to rummage in the bargain bins for a DVD version again.
I don't think that your issue is game related at all. It's probably some system/drivers related problem or similar...Are you sure that your system is not overheating or something?
Old 10-26-19, 09:40 AM   #444
tpt27
Swabbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
@ THEBERBSTER and vdr1981 (or others): The only thing I noticed that tpt27 has not done yet is to clear the Save folder in "C:\Users \UserName \Documents \SH5". Does that work as well for SH5 as it does for SH4 & SH3? Or will the mod have to be re-done after that?
Thanks for the advice propbeanie. I didn't have a Save folder yet because I was only doing the tutorials to start with. I deleted the SH5 folder from C:\Users\UserName\Documents to see what would happen but I still have the same problem.
Old 10-26-19, 10:01 AM   #445
tpt27
Swabbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by vdr1981 View Post
I don't think that your issue is game related at all. It's probably some system/drivers related problem or similar...Are you sure that your system is not overheating or something?
I think you're right vdr, but I have very little idea about the technical side of computers. The temperature is fine and other games I have work normally.

Everything works fine when SH5 first loads up (i.e. the menu videos are smooth, music sounds crystal clear and mouse moves smoothly across the screen). Everything turns to crap when the loading screen for a mission turns to black and the music cuts out just before a mission starts. This is also the point the FPS numbers go from 190 to 3.

The drivers for my NVIDIA GTX1060 and the Intel(R) HD Graphic 530 are updated. Maybe the Graphic Driver Version I mentioned in my OP has something to do with the reduced FPS, but that wouldn't explain why sound cuts out.
Old 10-26-19, 10:36 AM   #446
THEBERBSTER
Growing Old Disgracefully

Downloads: 1123

Hi tpt
Here are a few things to look at.

Changing The Nvidia GPU Settings > Essential Settings > Pictorial

Override High DPI Scaling Behavior > Pictorial

GPU Driver Roll Back To A Previous Version > Pictorial

STEAM > A Comprehensive Guide To Installing > By propbeanie

Peter
THEBERBSTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-19, 11:00 AM   #447
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

One thing I don't mention in that post Peter (which I'll update now), is matching the monitor's 'native' resolution, which Windows refers to as 'recommended' with the Windows resolution, and then the same resolution in the game, or if not possible, then either a double or half resolution (such as a 16:9 setting for a 16:9 display), or if you have an older laptop that has one of the interim "odd" WXGA resolutions that are closer to 16:10, which a person might have to "noodle" with various settings, or do a "Windowed" setting in the game, with a resolution smaller but close to the screen's 'native'. This would be in addition to the High DPI display scaling behavior setting in newer versions of Windows. Extensive experimentation might be necessary, unfortunately... As for SH5 and the TWoS mod, I have put them on probably at least a half-dozen computers over the years, and have never had issues with the display, so long as I match the monitor's 'native' resolution in Windows with the 'recommended' setting, and the SH5 install does the rest. In SH4, I have to choose the proper resolution in the game also, and SH3 I usually have to use a mod for that...

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-19, 09:55 PM   #448
tpt27
Swabbie

I really appreciate the help guys. I'm actually away this week for work and don't have access to wifi, so I'll have a crack at starting from scratch this weekend following all your tips and advice.
Old 11-02-19, 02:41 PM   #449
Tomek4494
Watch

Downloads: 94

I have another question - does somebody also have strange bug that submarine alternately dives to 15 meters and surfaces when you order to move backwards?

I spotted this bug in TWoS 2.2.9 and now when i had installed TWoS 2.2.16. Crew and captain can be on deck but sub dives when you order to move backward. Very interesting
Tomek4494 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-19, 03:02 PM   #450
vdr1981
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomek4494 View Post
I have another question - does somebody also have strange bug that submarine alternately dives to 15 meters and surfaces when you order to move backwards?

I spotted this bug in TWoS 2.2.9 and now when i had installed TWoS 2.2.16. Crew and captain can be on deck but sub dives when you order to move backward. Very interesting
Maybe only if you are on "deck awash" depth. Hydrodynamic drag could force your sub to dive in that case. Otherwise, no...