Old 10-22-20, 03:36 PM   #61
Boris-Barboris
Mate

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by xnonix View Post
Hey Boris,
great work on v0.2.1. Now the game is much more balanced.

1. I had several crashes to desktop when I drop a contact that is merged with an active source or marked ping on BB.

2. Torpedo range is too short even with the lowest "speed to activate" settings. I have to see the replay to see if this is correct.

3. If we could change bearing of data samples by draging them would be nice. I'd like to change wrong samples of a tracker that followed the wrong target after crossing.

4. For the first time I tried the active sonar and now is much more usefull because targets are far enough for you to feel safe on using it.

You fixed lots of my suggestions about the sim and I only can say thank you very much for the good work.

Regards.

1. For the life of me I cannot reproduce the bug. Can you start the game from the command line? Shift+RClick empty space in the dsubs game folder, "Open command window here", then type dsubs_client.exe and press Enter. After the crash it should print something useful.
More precise/simpler reproduction procedure is welcome.

2. 11200m, maybe, let's this how the current value plays out. I'm not sure having an all-map-ranged (14km) weapon is a good idea.

3. yeah, this one is planned.
Boris-Barboris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-20, 05:32 AM   #62
xnonix
Watch

Downloads: 4

Hi,

I want to talk about the BB screen a bit more.

Trackers: Trackers lose it sound source for a louder one quite easy. I think in reality every sound source has it own signature and trackers follow this signatures (tonals). Only in the case 2 sources have the same tonals, then the tracker could lose the correct one.

What do you think about it?
xnonix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-20, 07:21 AM   #63
Boris-Barboris
Mate

Quote:
Hi,

I want to talk about the BB screen a bit more.

Trackers: Trackers lose it sound source for a louder one quite easy. I think in reality every sound source has it own signature and trackers follow this signatures (tonals). Only in the case 2 sources have the same tonals, then the tracker could lose the correct one.

What do you think about it?

Unfortunately this is very hard to do in Dsubs. I don't plan to do any DSP/narrowband stuff on the client in the near future, so I'll have to improve the existing code and make the process of fixing tracker mistakes easy.

Dsubs does not abstract away tonals from the actual sound like DW does, but streams the sound to you, so you can use your ears, and it's hard to extract tonals from the sound properly. Maybe after the release there will be a proper spectrum analysis, but certainly not soon.

I'd like to focus on scenario and unit variety now.
Old 10-24-20, 06:45 AM   #64
xnonix
Watch

Some questions about sound on BB:

Is the sound of a contact related with its speed?
Are the 3 blades, 5 blades and 7 blades modeled in the sound of the sim?
For what my ears tells to me, is the same sound at different speeds and I don't know if is related to speed or to number of blades, or both.

Is there a way that you can tell what type of boat are you listen to?

Thanks in advance.
Old 10-24-20, 06:57 AM   #65
Boris-Barboris
Mate

Quote:
Some questions about sound on BB:

Is the sound of a contact related with its speed?
Are the 3 blades, 5 blades and 7 blades modeled in the sound of the sim?
For what my ears tells to me, is the same sound at different speeds and I don't know if is related to speed or to number of blades, or both.

Is there a way that you can tell what type of boat are you listen to?

Thanks in advance.

The faster the target goes, the faster is the propeller "beat". Also, cavitation noise spectrum is distinct and changes the contact noise on higher speeds.

Yes, you can hear the number of blades, civilian traders have 3-blade screw, Stork has 5 blades, Lima has 7. If you listen closely to the beat of the trader, you shoud hear:

...woof-woof-WOOF-woof-woof-WOOF-...

each 3rd beat is louder. For 5-blade each 5th, and so on. Try listening to your own noise with towed array during a turn, you shoud get the difference.

Yes, all boats sound different. I would really like for the player to be able to tell what he hears so I plan to gradually teach possible sounds to him during the campaign, I hope this is possible with proper scenario design. I also plan to add some more discriminating machinery/crew/music sounds to help the player with classification.
Old 10-24-20, 07:05 AM   #66
xnonix
Watch

Wow, sounds nice.... I will train my ears!
Old 10-25-20, 12:01 PM   #67
xnonix
Watch

Hi Boris,

1. I have your "crash to desktop" report:
https://ibb.co/T08zqkx
This always happens when dropping a contact...
When I played on linux never happened to me.

2. I had another issue: When I reload decoys, imaging I marked "active", but the sim reload a passive one. I repeated the process and the same ocurred. Just for you to know.

3. Another isue is the panning hangs sometimes at the start of the game. I have to open another window and play on that one.

4. About the game today:
Nice game today. 8 kills hard to get. I was focusing on sub targets.
I have been playing with torps speed as well and now I understand them
better.
Also, I didn't use trackers. Just marking all what I considered interesting in BB and merge acordingly in tactical view. Makes all less cluttered and error proof.
I saw you spawning and marked your ping with towed array and bow sonar. Triangulated you. Then you shoot the torpedo and marked the launch. I had the solution and 5 seconds later my torp was in the way to your sub.

Was a great game.

Thanks again for dsubs.

Regards
Old 10-25-20, 12:31 PM   #68
Boris-Barboris
Mate

Quote:
Hi Boris,

1. I have your "crash to desktop" report:
https://ibb.co/T08zqkx
This always happens when dropping a contact...
When I played on linux never happened to me.

2. I had another issue: When I reload decoys, imaging I marked "active", but the sim reload a passive one. I repeated the process and the same ocurred. Just for you to know.

3. Another isue is the panning hangs sometimes at the start of the game. I have to open another window and play on that one.

4. About the game today:
Nice game today. 8 kills hard to get. I was focusing on sub targets.
I have been playing with torps speed as well and now I understand them
better.
Also, I didn't use trackers. Just marking all what I considered interesting in BB and merge acordingly in tactical view. Makes all less cluttered and error proof.
I saw you spawning and marked your ping with towed array and bow sonar. Triangulated you. Then you shoot the torpedo and marked the launch. I had the solution and 5 seconds later my torp was in the way to your sub.

Was a great game.

Thanks again for dsubs.

Regards

1. Damn... Good to narrow down to AccessViolation, but the trace is quite broad still. I'll try to reproduce on windows some more. Thanks.

2. When you killed me today, I noticed it too, because this bug killed me: i couldn't drop enough actives. Already have a fix, will release soon.

3. probably related to 1, something is wrong in windows binary.

4. Yeah, you are very proficient already, warms my heart ).
Old 10-25-20, 04:03 PM   #69
Boris-Barboris
Mate

Try the x64 windows build, please:

https://github.com/Boris-Barboris/ds...ses/tag/v0.2.2

Added ray data dragging, but only horizontally. Time is still anchored, because otherwise it's hard to hit a moving (waterfall flows down) target.
Old 10-26-20, 05:43 AM   #70
xnonix
Watch

Hi Boris,
I have been testing the 0.2.2 version of dsubs:

1. I can confirm the "crash to desktop" on dropping targets in linux.

2. Trackers samples dragable is a nice add. Thank you.

3. When I merge trackers from bow and towed array contacts, error lines are cluttered all over bearing lines and Is hard to find the solution (normally is not a clear pattern). But if I do it manually, marking the sample on BB and rapidly on bow, merging the contacts I have a nice and clear cross of lines. Normally with 3 manual marks on BB and Towed I have a pretty good and "clear" solution . I think trackers induce some kind of bearing error. Also think that trackers shouldn't lose its source as I said in a previous post. With trackers is all more difficult, so I preefer not make use of them.
Example:
This is how the error lines appear with trackers:
Cluttering

This is how the error lines appear with manual markers:
Clear solution

Almost the same amount of time passed between 2 solutions. With manual markers I'm confident of the solution only with 2 or 3 crossings.

4. Single player scenarios ideas. Problably you have thought deeply on this, but anyway I'll put what I would like here:
a) "Thread the needle": Scenario with x traders, y easy subs and z medium subs ramdomly placed. You have to kill the enemy subs. Traders can't be sunk. If you sunk a trader you lose. If you kill all the subs, you win. x, y and z could be selectable by the player.
b) "Hunger games": like the above but you have 0 torps at the start of the game. You have to reload at the circle first.
c) "Devil on screws": Scenario with x traders, y easy subs and z medium subs ramdomly placed. You have to kill the traders and go to the circle to win. You can take the subs too, but not needed.

I don't know how to thank you enogh for dsubs. I'm loving it. Great work again. Hope feedback helps.

Regards.

Last edited by xnonix; 10-26-20 at 07:16 AM.
Old 10-26-20, 06:54 AM   #71
Boris-Barboris
Mate

Looks like your computer fails to set up antialiasing on Linux.
That's how lines look on my PC:

https://imgur.com/a/0Y3uTBq

What are your windows/linux pc specs? Is this Wayland or Xorg?
Old 10-26-20, 07:11 AM   #72
xnonix
Watch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boris-Barboris View Post
Looks like your computer fails to set up antialiasing on Linux.
That's how lines look on my PC:

https://imgur.com/a/0Y3uTBq

What are your windows/linux pc specs? Is this Wayland or Xorg?
I use Windows 10 in my main gaming pc: I5 with nvidia gtx1060.

I have linux on all my other computers: the one wich takes the images is a dell ispiron 1545 quite old. Graphic card is "Intel Corporation Mobile 4 Series Chipset Integrated Graphics Controller". No wayland running. So Xorg.
Old 10-26-20, 08:03 AM   #73
Boris-Barboris
Mate

Quote:
I use Windows 10 in my main gaming pc: I5 with nvidia gtx1060.

I have linux on all my other computers: the one wich takes the images is a dell ispiron 1545 quite old. Graphic card is "Intel Corporation Mobile 4 Series Chipset Integrated Graphics Controller". No wayland running. So Xorg.

Ok, try this one, I have reproduced at least one crash on contact drop, it's probably what you have:
https://github.com/Boris-Barboris/ds...ses/tag/v0.2.3

I'll think what can be done for integrated gpu. Nothing comes to mind at this point.
Old 10-26-20, 10:57 AM   #74
xnonix
Watch

Testing 0.2.3.

Can you see single player games played by other players?
Old 10-26-20, 11:09 AM   #75
Boris-Barboris
Mate

Quote:
Testing 0.2.3.

Can you see single player games played by other players?

No, and currently no replays for them.