Old 03-05-20, 03:57 AM   #31
Boris-Barboris
Mate

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ildifa View Post
Hi!

I am a longtime fan of your "AtmosphereAutopilot" mod for Kerbal Space Program, so when I first saw that this little submarine game was made by you, I was sure it was gonna be great

I think you had a great idea making DSubs more fast-paced than the usual sim, every round I played was always exciting!
My congratulations (and hopes to see it grow) to you
To show my appreciation, I made an icon for DSubs in the same minimalist art style, hope you like it:

P.S.: Is it possible to sometime hear music on the hydrophone, or am I hallucinating things?

Thank you. Very impressive torp dodges on March the 2nd, Ildifa, and yes, there is a music thing. Just wanted an easter egg of sorts to swim around.

I'll try to include the icon in the binary, looks sharp and fitting, though I'll probably tune the color if you don't mind. Well, at least until the title changes for some reason, but that will not come soon.
Boris-Barboris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-20, 02:14 PM   #32
ottoatom
Nub

This will sound like a stupid question (because it is) but any VR planned for this?..

lol ok, I am actually being kind of serious :P. let me explain, back in subcommand/cold waters days I found the external views ridiculous, as pretty as they could be (which they werent.. at all) and never used them, so yeah, pretty much sensors, maps and targetting solutions made the game for me.

But that doesn't mean I don't like cool 3d graphics, on the contrary, graphic realism improves immersive gameplay by a lot, at least for me. The only game I play nowadays is DCS in VR. for anyone that hasn't tried that yet, you're in for a treat. There's no point going back, just doesn't make sense to me.

So I would love to have a subsim game (or space game for that matter, pretty much the same thing I guess) that would recreate the inside of a real or fictional ship with high fidelity with battle station consoles, sensor stations, engineering, weapons etc. in a "non-condescending" way, without fisher-price style interfaces and game mechanics.

Does that make sense to anyone?.. I'm not talking about the work that would require which would be considerable of course but I think this could maybe be of interest to a greater public that you might think. DCS can be very technical and you do have a decent amount of people playing it.

You say the game core is what matters, the bells and whistles can come later. Couldn't agree with you more, how difficult would it be to "attach" those screens you have been coding to an actual 3d model? using unreal or unity there are pretty amazing and smart things that can be made..

Anyway, don't hate me for this comment. I just found this post a few days ago for the first time and really love the idea and game. Great job man, hope you keep at it.
ottoatom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-20, 02:46 PM   #33
Boris-Barboris
Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottoatom View Post
This will sound like a stupid question (because it is) but any VR planned for this?..

lol ok, I am actually being kind of serious :P. let me explain, back in subcommand/cold waters days I found the external views ridiculous, as pretty as they could be (which they werent.. at all) and never used them, so yeah, pretty much sensors, maps and targetting solutions made the game for me.

But that doesn't mean I don't like cool 3d graphics, on the contrary, graphic realism improves immersive gameplay by a lot, at least for me. The only game I play nowadays is DCS in VR. for anyone that hasn't tried that yet, you're in for a treat. There's no point going back, just doesn't make sense to me.

So I would love to have a subsim game (or space game for that matter, pretty much the same thing I guess) that would recreate the inside of a real or fictional ship with high fidelity with battle station consoles, sensor stations, engineering, weapons etc. in a "non-condescending" way, without fisher-price style interfaces and game mechanics.

Does that make sense to anyone?.. I'm not talking about the work that would require which would be considerable of course but I think this could maybe be of interest to a greater public that you might think. DCS can be very technical and you do have a decent amount of people playing it.

You say the game core is what matters, the bells and whistles can come later. Couldn't agree with you more, how difficult would it be to "attach" those screens you have been coding to an actual 3d model? using unreal or unity there are pretty amazing and smart things that can be made..

Anyway, don't hate me for this comment. I just found this post a few days ago for the first time and really love the idea and game. Great job man, hope you keep at it.

I have thought about it too, it seemed to me a natural counter to my lack of graphical competence and resources: a snappy feel of an unusual VR interface. After some consideration I've put the idea on hold. The main causes of my disenchantment were:

1). The 3 main mechanics that I value the most, TMA, waterfall and active sonar, are well covered by inherently 2D interfaces (tactical map, waterfall, active sonar wavefront image). Keyboard and mouse are optimal interaction methods for these interfaces. VR looks like a detriment here, not an improvement. You will effectively spend 95% of the time in the views that do nothing for VR experience, and, in fact, are better off without it.
2). VR is strong at character immersion, which needs character and his environment. For subsim it means at least a detailed bridge and the controls on it +- characters. I certainly do not have a skill nor do I have time for such a system.
3). It should be possible to add VR to Wolfpack IMHO. I think the best chance to have a live experiment on whether VR is viable or not in a subsim is to keep pushing it's devs towards it. Their possible refusal to do it would be a great result in it's own: it would mean that the effort is not justified in current the market.

To conclude, I think VR is good for "cockpit" experience. Subsims are not a cockpit experience. Flight and racing sims are.
Old 03-07-20, 04:37 PM   #34
ottoatom
Nub

wow, you did think about it.. all valid points, I stand corrected. The only closest thing to what I was saying would be startrek bridge commander (with better graphics, because that thing is hideous..) with your sensor style systems

I guess emulating an existing sub in a game is not great in VR. In light of what you say, the sensors would have to be tailored for VR, much like what they have done for elite dangerous so probably a fictional ship either under the sea or in space with a well thought out interface would work best.

You are onto something though, a missing part in most games around. Im sure something great will come out of it.
Cheers,
Otto

Last edited by ottoatom; 03-07-20 at 05:25 PM.
ottoatom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-20, 07:36 PM   #35
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Default Welcome aboard!

ottoatom!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-20, 07:05 PM   #36
Caseck
Torpedoman

Downloads: 17

lol, awesome! Talk about "Immersion!"

Great sound!
Caseck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-20, 04:28 PM   #37
Althar93
Watch

Downloads: 89

Just wanted to say, awesome little project you've got there. I am terrible at Dangerous Waters but this is just great fun to play.

I have only played against bots but I can definitely see the potential ; I love the ability to have multiple instances running on several screens.

Are there any plans to add surface ships or perhaps just "neutrals" that players can use to hide behind? Similarly, and since you are not going for full realism, would there be different water biomes / zones that could have different acoustic properties?

Looking forward to future progress/updates!
Althar93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-20, 08:44 AM   #38
Boris-Barboris
Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Althar93 View Post
Just wanted to say, awesome little project you've got there. I am terrible at Dangerous Waters but this is just great fun to play.

I have only played against bots but I can definitely see the potential ; I love the ability to have multiple instances running on several screens.

Are there any plans to add surface ships or perhaps just "neutrals" that players can use to hide behind? Similarly, and since you are not going for full realism, would there be different water biomes / zones that could have different acoustic properties?

Looking forward to future progress/updates!

Thanks, yeah, love the windowing myself.

Neutrals is a good idea, though I'll need to teach AI not to cheat when observing the surroundings. Signal strength is fair, but merged contact discrimination is cheaty atm.
Surface probably will not happen.

Biomes and currents are a good flavor thing, probably will make it later.
Old 04-11-20, 01:12 PM   #39
Boris-Barboris
Mate

Thanks, Mike, you've crashed the server and exposed an interesting bug. I understood your point about the chat.
Old 04-24-20, 04:04 AM   #40
Boris-Barboris
Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikemaknonovitch View Post
I can't figure out how to do the multiple window thing, it would be really useful.

When you've spawned in your submarine, you launch dsubs_client second time and press connect to another window - it will join the first dsubs_client.

Quote:
last week i played a bunch, just learning the game and stuff. yesterday or the day before i tried playing but it was choppy. it kept skipping, only resuming in intervals of 2 seconds or something. i think that was my side not connecting right. my internet was gay or something.

Yeah, this is Internet being slow. You're far away, problems may arise.

Quote:
I think it can't handle more than 3 people at once or soemthing.

It definetly can, no worries, probably something lagged.

Thanks for feedback and your time. Makes me wish I could do more development.
Old 04-30-20, 12:01 AM   #41
ljqcn101
Sailor man

Downloads: 76
Uploads: 3

Just found this from the subsim main page, looks great! As a DW and DCS player too, definitely gonna try with my buddies.
ljqcn101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-20, 09:39 PM   #42
HobbitJack
Watch

Downloads: 135

I just downloaded the game and gave it a spin. Very nice!

I'm going to keep watching this. I'm no good but maybe I'll get better =).
HobbitJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-20, 07:53 AM   #43
Boris-Barboris
Mate

https://github.com/Boris-Barboris/ds...ses/tag/v0.1.0

Good progress on a rather complex multi-simulator front.
I've got a working 'instancing' system that allows to run multiple simulators on my server simultaneously, which opens a path to scenarios, campaigns and tutorials. For now a duplicate of the main circular arena scenario is available as a "singleplayer" (you still play on the server, just not with other players) 'instance'.

Stub of scenario selection creen:

That was the main chunk of work I've pulled off in these 3 months. Some minor tweaks that I've also done:
  • Subtle 2.5km map grid.
  • Fix various bugs is scrollbar and text box.
  • Better noise level estimation in broadband tracker code, fixes Lima hydrohones.
  • Fix OpenAL source queing algorithm to improve min latencies on very high-latency connections.

Grid example:

I hope it is very subtle and does not annoy the player.

I will start working on all these boring mechanisms that need scenarios work: triggers, progress state saves, dialog boxes, text/radio messages, win/loss conditions, hints and all that. Will probably be ready around October, with a couple of tutorial scenarios.
Old 05-31-20, 02:38 AM   #44
Boris-Barboris
Mate

frpandore, red cross in left upper corner to abandon the instance.
Old 06-02-20, 11:28 PM   #45
HobbitJack
Watch

Downloads: 135

Just a note, when I go to get on, I authorize, select a mode (singleplayer, in my case =), select a sub, and then get booted to the startup screen, which then prevents me from authorizing to try again.

Is this a known issue?
HobbitJack is offline   Reply With Quote