Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Sub/Naval + Other Games > Indie Subsims
Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-01-16, 04:52 PM   #31
Polak2
Weps

Downloads: 60
Uploads: 0

Looks awesome.
I only wish that older simulations like DW were having ability to make similar graphic improvements. The earlier animation clip with wave looks sweet too.
Polak2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-16, 02:12 PM   #32
nsomnia
Weps

Downloads: 44

Got the new underwater -> above water custom shaders implemented.

Still playing with multiple wave sets for stormy weather.
Will try to upload a updated verson
Old 03-03-16, 03:33 PM   #33
nsomnia
Weps

Shows off the accuracy of testing the height of the waves and the latest fake-wake.
Old 03-04-16, 02:21 PM   #34
nsomnia
Weps

Got the masking working for the boat surfaced, it will still need some covering up until I can write the code to create the mask frmo the actual boat mesh but this will allow me to start building the inside of boats easily

Showing 5 sets of waves (8 wave sets each from large to small [macro to micro]) to reproduce extremely stormy weather high on the beaufort scale.

Seems im going to need to implment FFT waves for performance.
Old 03-05-16, 01:13 PM   #35
nsomnia
Weps

Time to start modelling the interior now that the ocean mask is working in a basic form.
Old 03-05-16, 02:07 PM   #36
zakarpatska
Loader

Downloads: 127

What you've done so far looks great! I'm really looking forward to see what you can do with the submarine interior.
zakarpatska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-16, 11:24 AM   #37
nsomnia
Weps

Took my gato/pampanito model and split it apart so I have the conning tower hull and I made a basic pressure hull that extends from forward torpedo bulkhead to aft bulkhead and up into the conning tower. Pretty weird running around in there. Going to replace the main modern with just the hull and get the deck and deck ladders plus a conning tower hatch plus the bridge and maybe the conning tower hatches going today. Ill post an update once I have enough done to deem interesting been pulling through my c++ books lately
Old 03-06-16, 03:09 PM   #38
nsomnia
Weps

Gave every part a quick texture job (accidently in Dx format instead of oGL so darks are light and teals are yellow but easy fix just reexport)

Anyways, you can now run around the deck and climb the ladders up to the bridge. You have control of the boat except for the rudder I have a bug i need to fix.

It is extremely easy to fall off the bridge though so I might need to fake the width of the ship, or make the characters like 140cm tall instead of 190

I'm not putting much time into looks since the meshes will get edited and re-unwrapped and re-textured as I create the ways into the ship (2 doors, and hatch on conning tower, conning tower into boat batch and fwd/aft hatches. After that I can spend more time. I dont like seamless textures, with substance painter its so easy and quick to add custom dirt and grime and leaks to your textures painted in 3d. The channels are reversed and look how good this boat turned out.
Old 03-07-16, 01:00 PM   #39
nsomnia
Weps

Cooking a update with all the new stuff now. Nothing special but you can climb the ladder to the conning tower then jump up onto the bridge and you can walk around on the deck and you can control the ship and get telementry even thoguh your controlling the player. /

A step in the right direction cant wait to get a hatch going and then the conning tower and then control room and radio room.
Old 03-08-16, 03:24 PM   #40
nsomnia
Weps

Heres a video of the WW2 fleet boat conning tower with the main hatch being able to go through. NExt up, cut a hole in the hull cover where it belongs.

Going to start modelling some different conning tower designs youll be able to choose from based on the year roughly.

Got the 1948 tench class streamlined design started and going to go all the way up to guppyIIa

Old 03-09-16, 01:11 PM   #41
nsomnia
Weps

Finished modelling the tench 1948 class streamlined conning tower exterior + bridge with hatch and it works fine you can drop into the pressure hull (its empty ATM) but for the regular fleet sub conning tower I accidently cut its hole for the conning tower aft about 15 feet so I have to re-model that.

So some more modelling and texturing and the next update: roll around in the pressure hulls empty abyss while controlling the boat

I'm also going to integrate a free program that takes an unreal 4 engine game and checks your files against a webserver (like Steam) for updates and if yours differs you automatically get the updates.

Ill still post major updates to indieDB
Old 03-10-16, 01:41 PM   #42
nsomnia
Weps

Got the ability to drop down into the conning tower which now has interior walls and you can then drop into the "control room hatch" which just drops you into the pressure hull right now.

Its pretty cool.

The only problem is in my haste to get everything working with some interior bits I've let the model topology get away from me. I might end up remodelling everything to make adjustments easier for example I just put the bridge -> conning tower hatch center of the lookout spot, whereas really its to the port side, i had to center it though to make characters fit through it. Also the conning tower -> control center hatch I put about 1.25m aft from the other hatch looking at drawings of a 1943 era sub but on the pampanito virtual tour its actually not a circular hatch, A, and B, is about 1 hatch diameter aft and starboard.

The biggest issue is things like doors rooms etc in games have to be enlarged for character views and sizes. I hope to get it as real as possible on the first sub though.

Update will come once I'm happy with the conning tower 1945 (level 1), presssure hull, and conning tower interior models as well as the hatches and their functionality plus some interior goodies in the conning tower such as some piping and indicators.

I've been trying to learn about FFT's (Fast-fourier-transforms) for making stormy seas but its a very advanced math topic.

Another bug is when controlling the boat while in control of the character you dont inherit the boats rotation or location so if you go ahead flank and your inside the pressure hull you fly backwards sitting still until the bulkhead hits you aft and it pulls you along. You do inherit these when there is no water and your standing on something attached to the model however I have to set the models to "un-attached" right now because I'm using per-poly-collision detection for convenience and speed of development over performance.

Hopefully when I get the water mask plugged into the main ocean mesh generator and decks in the pressure hull to stand on this wont be a issue.
Old 03-12-16, 12:10 PM   #43
nsomnia
Weps

Brushing up on my material and particles effects for creating screens, water splashes, foam etc. When I learned UE4 I went straight to blueprints and GUIs which are my speciality and I lack in these areas so I'm gonna learn as much as I can before I get bored with some tutorials I've been meaningh to do today.
Old 03-20-16, 11:35 PM   #44
nsomnia
Weps

Just to update I've gotten upset with the gato model a conning tower of that shape is very hard to model, especially given the model I had to work with so I started modelling a 1948 tang class and maybe come back to the gato but I do want to emphasize underwater which the tang did well for her time.
Old 03-22-16, 01:59 PM   #45
nsomnia
Weps

Got the basic exterior of the tang class done less the conning tower, its seperate since itll be upgradable.

The sonar dome was not fun.