SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Current crop of subsims & naval games > UBOAT
Forget password? Reset here

Old 01-18-21, 04:45 PM   #1
Urduk
Nub

Downloads: 5
Uploads: 0
Icon7 Torpedo boats not firing torpedoes?

Hello everyone! A long time fan of SH3, reading a book on WW2 naval history really made me want to play it again. But I got bored pretty fast with the constant crew babysitting.

Soon after I got a recommandation for UBOAT on Steam and it looked really cool even if still in early access. A few hours later, it was discounted at 50% so it was a no-brainer.

I started playing this afternoon, I really enjoyed the tutorial and played two missions after that. After an easy patrol, I chose to raid the port of Cardiff. Not yet familiar with the mechanics, I wasn't really discreet, I just waited the night to go in, went full surface, avoided the nets and the mines and spotted 4 merchants ships, a corvette and a destroyer.

I intended to torpedo both warships and destroy the rest with the deck gun. But, after the warships sank, I was quite surprised to see 4 torpedo boats storm in from nowhere. The most surprising was their tactics, I was pretty sure I would be dead in seconds, lying immobile on the surface, I gave the order to dive while waiting for the torpedoes to hit and sink me. But the torpedoes never came. Instead they tried to ram my ship, causing moderate damage while sinking themselves in the process.

So I wonder, can the torpedo boats really fire torpedoes and their inability to do so this time is somehow linked to the restricted space and time they had to target me or are they completely useless so far, just like their homologues of SH3?

I was pretty surprised to be able to repair the damage then taking my time to sink the remaining merchants who where patiently waiting their turn and being able to get back to base without being pursued by a destroyer or a plane. A bit anticlimactic but the game really looks promising nonetheless!

I just found out about the subsim community by browsing SH3 community hub and I'm really happy I did. I always played vanilla SH3 and it seems like I missed a lot!

Thrilled to join the community of Subsim, thanks for having me and really sorry about my poor english proficiency...

Last edited by Urduk; 01-18-21 at 05:12 PM. Reason: Typo
Urduk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-21, 05:03 PM   #2
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Default Welcome aboard!

Urduk!great first post!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is online   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-21, 05:10 PM   #3
Urduk
Nub

Downloads: 5

Also I found pretty funny to spot a huge urban zone on the island of Ré, west of La Rochelle. It's clearly not a priority but I hope they'll fix it at some point, it would go a long way to help maintaining the sense of immersion (and that's what we want from a sub game, right?).

I don't expect Flight Simulator level of detail and realism but there is definitely a lot of place for improvement there.
Urduk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-21, 08:39 AM   #4
Kaptlt.Endrass
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 96

They don't always fire their torpedoes, as they don't really need to. They just need to force you under by virtue of eliminating your crew and give you a shower of depth charges in shallow waters.

When they do fire their torpedoes, then it's game over. Provides your boat withstands the shock of the first hit, you'll invariably sink, and despite the shallows, just like they intend to do above, they'll give you a depth charge shower.

As much as I dislike it sometimes, I'm a tin can sailor, through and through.
Kaptlt.Endrass is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
silent hunter 3, subsim forever, uboat