SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter III
Forget password? Reset here

Old 08-14-20, 08:31 AM   #1
Eastwa
Torpedoman

Downloads: 124
Uploads: 0
Default New PC For SH3/5 & Uboat

Evening All.

Need some PC advice I'm currently running a very old 2009 Dell XPS studio with I7 920 & 2.67 GHZ with 6 Gig of Ram and a GeForce GT730. Been a great PC and runs SH3 well although GWX is a bit slow with all the mods and SH5 has always been slow on it.

Finally looking at upgrading, was thinking of either one of these two

Dell G5 I5 with a 6 core 10400F
16 gig of Ram
6 Gig GTX1650

or a
G5 with a I7 with 8 cores
8 gig of ram
4 Gig GTX 1650.

Not sure what the better trade off is I5 with better ram both the system and graphics or a better processor. The clock speeds base are both 2.9 but the I5 goes to 4.3 and the I7 goes to 4.8 Ghz.

Other option but is a bit pricey maybe is a new XPS Dell with
I7 10700
16 Gig Of Ram
4 Gig GTX 1650
I like these as they have a integrated optical drive and a lot of my old games are on disk (SH3 for instance) as I will need to buy one for the G5's.

I'm leaning towards the G5 I5 with the added ram and graphics ram but I'm not sure performance wise how it will run,

I'm sure it will run SH3 and SH4 with no issues but just want some opinions as I haven't bought a new PC for 11 years!!

Obviously I'm going to stick with Dell unless somebody can convince me otherwise my old Dell PC has never played up all the time I have had it.

Any thoughts would be appreciated as I keep going back and forth on the dell website and missing out on my Silent Hunter time!! LOL

Eastwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-20, 08:42 AM   #2
Gerald
SUBSIM Newsman

Downloads: 548

Icon7

Hey!Have you considered building a computer yourself so that it will suit you more perfectly ... this can be an option that in many cases is better and "more for money" than buying someone that comes in packages..and unnecessary apps and programs And building a PC does not require particularly great knowledge either.

Marie Curie

Gerald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-20, 08:46 AM   #3
blackswan40
LSH-2022 Liaison Officer

Downloads: 589
Uploads: 30

Hi Eastwa I would hold off for two months due to a lot of new PC hardware coming out in September new CPU's and GPU's.
Also the stores and Warehouses full of older kit will be having big sales to get rid of the old stock theres nothing worse than spending $1000-$1500 then 4 -6 week later you could have got same kit for $850-$1200 also with the new kit coming out they will be promotional offers and the new Gpu's will be 18%-30% or so the leaked snipits of info are saying.
blackswan40 is online   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-20, 09:35 AM   #4
Grumpy Pete
Shore leave

Downloads: 8

Good advice so far. I'll just add that SH series games really don't require a whole lot of processor power. Either of those systems you listed will actually be overkill for SH (not saying that's a bad thing). Vendor is right about building a system yourself--if you want to do it. It isn't really difficult and can save a fair amount of money. Solid State Drives are also very nice--just pay attention to their capacity. And in any case, pay attention to the power supply. It tends to be the most under-rated component in systems even though all other components depend on it.

What Blackswan40 said is also true. Even when I build my own I generally wait until a new generation of hardware is being released and then pick up components that are a generation or two back from the leading edge. You can cut some prices in half by doing this. Dell will reduce prices when they begin to build systems with the new generation of hardware.
Grumpy Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-20, 09:58 AM   #5
Eastwa
Torpedoman

Thanks Guys.

In regards to building my own PC I'm not sure if I have the patience to do that LOL

In regards to waiting a few months unfortunately I am now working from home due to COVID and the old PC is not up to the task hence time is of the essence to get a new one.

Also I have seen a G5 with a 9th gen I7 with 8 gig or ram and a 4 gig GTX for about 500-600 Aus $ cheaper so given as you said the SH games don't require a lot I may go down that path.

What are the systems you guys are all running if I may ask ?

Also if you are running that new sub game uboat and how's it run on your systems as I'll probably purchase when I get a new PC

Old 08-14-20, 01:08 PM   #6
Grumpy Pete
Shore leave

I'm running a home built that I made ~7 years ago. I out $900 in parts into the build and it still runs everything I ask it to.

I understand your concern about doing a home built rig. If you haven't done it before it can be daunting and frustrating. AS far as buying one before the prices drop--I get that too. In my experience, I am a catalyst of price change as in, whatever I buy today goes on sale tomorrow.

I haven't played the new u-boat subsim. I've watched a lot of videos on it and I can't say that the micro-management and overall style of it appeal to me. I'm much more concerned with realism vs how pretty it is. I'll be keeping a Very close eye on Destroyer: The U-boat Hunter though. That show a lot of promise imo.

Cheers!
Old 08-14-20, 10:10 PM   #7
diego_gut
Soundman

Downloads: 25

Those computers would be overkill for sh3/5 but for Uboat I would recommend 16Gb of RAM and 6Gb on the GPU. I measured memory consumption on my computer and it used just below 10Gb of RAM and just below 5Gb of video memory, with fairly high graphic settings.
diego_gut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-20, 08:37 PM   #8
Eastwa
Torpedoman

Just an update, I took on board if I really needed to spend so much on a PC that as a few stated would be overkill for the SH games so I ended up spending about a $1000 AU less and bought a Dell G5 with a 9th gen I7 instead of a 10th gen one but with essentially the same Ram (8) and graphics card GTX 1650 with 4 gig. I can always chuck some more Ram in later down the track if it doesn't run Uboat properly but I haven't even got the game yet!.

Looking forward to some reduced load times!

Kind Regards
Old 08-15-20, 08:53 PM   #9
Gerald
SUBSIM Newsman

Downloads: 548

Icon14

Good choice. Good luck!

Marie Curie

Gerald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-20, 12:52 PM   #10
Grumpy Pete
Shore leave

Yep! You can always upgrade later and usually for significantly less than it would have cost you up front!