SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Current crop of subsims & naval games > UBOAT
Forget password? Reset here

Old 04-11-20, 08:42 AM   #1
XenonSurf
Sea Lord

Downloads: 107
Uploads: 4
Default Automatic crew?

Simple question: Can you bypass crew management, make them 'automatic' and play this game like a classic sub sim?

Thanks.
XenonSurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-20, 10:30 PM   #2
GoldenRivet
Subsim Aviator

Downloads: 146
Uploads: 0

Im not sure how far back to the classics you want to go. This subsim is not your "classic" point and click subsim. (think SH1 & 2)

if you click 100 meters depth on the gauge - you'll go there without doing anything else

if you click ahead full, the boat will do so without any other input from you

if you flood the tubes and have a firing solution and you click fire, the torpedoes shoot without you doing anything else but clicking the fire button

in that sense, this is a "classic" subsim.

however - without working "together" with your crew to manage damage, pump ballast, provision and equip the sub etc... you will die pretty quickly.

if you're looking for a subsim where the crew are lifeless mannequins that just pointlessly respond "aye aye! herr kaleun" whenever you click something then this is NOT your subsim.

some people out there assume that the crew management is overwhelming and meticulous - it really isnt. They are very autonomous unless you tell them to do something else.

its not like you have to click 100 meters on the depth gauge and then assign two men to the planes, then assign a crewman to the ballast control valve and then click each man off the conning tower, manually close the hatch, close off the diesel intakes, switch to electric motors, then assign crewmen to the electric motor compartment, then close main tank vents, and assign a crewman to the hydrophones. etc etc etc

no, you just order a dive and cross your arms, thats pretty much it. the crew automatically does everything above.

its really pretty SHIII-like until stuff hits the fan. Its when your boat gets holed that you have to prioritize repairs and strategize how you want to approach a certain severe damage situation.
Old 04-23-20, 04:54 AM   #3
JU_88
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 10

Ive said it a millions time before but - wait for a mod. Some one is bound to mod it with an SH/Sim control system.
Plus the Devs had expressed they are not opposed to giving more SH style control options if thats what people want.
Uboats fans are a mixed bag, some really dig the managment style, others would prefer it just played like a classic subsim.
Im pretty happy with how it is, though Im still abit iffy on having to pause the game the queue up tasks as its not possible to do things fast enough in real time during an emergency. Pausing is a bit of an immersion breaker.
Uboats overal concept is nice, while its control & UI design is hit and miss, (but it is an experiment.)
JU_88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-20, 11:54 PM   #4
XenonSurf
Sea Lord

Downloads: 107
Uploads: 4

@GoldenRivet,
thanks for your detailed response. Your 'dive at 100 feet' example convinces me that too much crew management is not necessary, and that's exactly what I would like. You being able to order your crew more precisely at different stations is a good feature compared to other subsims around, but I would just like have the option not doing it too often if I feel overwhelmed by the action going on, which apparently you can.

A recent playthrough video has convinced me also. I'll soon or late get this game. The nicest sub interiors that I have seen in a sub game, that's for sure, and I really like the system of power-ups when sinking targets or chosing your assets at ports with a limited budget. I'm hoping for more wolfpacks to cooperate with and campaign improvements, especially in relation with these power-ups (buying air support, buying wolfpacks for example!)

@Ju 88,
thank you. It's fine to hear that U-Boat can be modded. I was more afraid about the management aspect before watching a video that has taken away my false impressions.

Thank you!
XS

Last edited by XenonSurf; 04-30-20 at 12:07 AM.
XenonSurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-20, 09:30 AM   #5
derstosstrupp
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 489

Testing branch for B127 just got released yesterday, and it has a system by which you can automate shifts. This was one of the main features I was waiting for.

One-Stop Targeting Shop:
https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...WwBt-1vjW28JbO
My YT Channel:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIJ...9FXbD3S2kgwdPQ
derstosstrupp is offline   Reply With Quote